PDA

View Full Version : 15" PB Order Options, What Options would you Order?

JoeBean
Apr 21, 2004, 10:30 AM
I am seriously considering purchasing a new 15" 1.5GHz PowerBook with SuperDrive. I expect that I will keep it for several years at the very least, so I'd like to prepare it for any eventuality.

Can you help me decide which options would be most prudent to order with it? Here are my concerns:

1. 64 MB or 128 MB of Graphics memory (iDVD will definitely be used)
2. RAM? 512 MB in 2 (256 MB SO-DIMMs) or 1 (512 MB SO-DIMM)?
3. For Desk Top use? Additional Mouse and Keyboard?
Any other accessories that I should consider?

By the way, how reliable is the PC Card reader in the PowerBook? I will be using it to download digital photographs from a Type I Compactflash Card.

lasuther
Apr 21, 2004, 10:56 AM
I am seriously considering purchasing a new 15" 1.5GHz PowerBook with SuperDrive. I expect that I will keep it for several years at the very least, so I'd like to prepare it for any eventuality.

Can you help me decide which options would be most prudent to order with it? Here are my concerns:

By the way, how reliable is the PC Card reader in the PowerBook? I will be using it to download digital photographs from a Type I Compactflash Card.

Ok, here's my take:

1. 128 MB for sure. I don't know why its an option, everyone should get this for $50

2. A 512 MB costs $128 at Crucial. I think the best thing to do is upgrade to 1 512 MB from Apple for $100 and buy and extra 512 MB from Crucial for $128. Unless you can use two extra 256 MB RAM, then buy two 512 MB from Crucial for $256.

3. Get the Logitech bluetooth mouse, it matches well with the PowerBook. Forget about the external keyboard.

I'm jealous already.

lasuther

filmmaker2002
Apr 21, 2004, 11:16 AM
Well, as a video editor, I ordered the 1.5 G4 15" with 5400RPM 80GB, 512MB in one dimm, and the 128MB GPU. I would have gotten the 17", but I carry my current 1.25 15" AlBook in a 15" Brenthaven case, and since I didn't want to get rid of it (it looks very rustic and weathered now, carried it all around the world with me, couldn't get rid of it) I just got the 15".

keysersoze
Apr 21, 2004, 12:08 PM
Well, as a video editor, I ordered the 1.5 G4 15" with 5400RPM 80GB, 512MB in one dimm, and the 128MB GPU. I would have gotten the 17", but I carry my current 1.25 15" AlBook in a 15" Brenthaven case, and since I didn't want to get rid of it (it looks very rustic and weathered now, carried it all around the world with me, couldn't get rid of it) I just got the 15".

SOOOO Jealous... :(

Counterfit
Apr 21, 2004, 12:17 PM
I would get the 128, 512MB in two DIMMS (save some $ there ;)), standard HD, and an external mouse (the MacMice one, once they come out with it). They keyboard is damned fine as it is, so I would only replace it if you plan on using an iCurve, or someone make one just like it, in external form.

powerofthekiwi
Apr 21, 2004, 06:57 PM
I ordered the 128 GPU because I love games, but I bet iDVD would prolly be able to make use of this too...

The 5400 RPM drive is a must if your gonna be working with digital video from your hard drive - this will also speed up everything

maybe consider getting an external firewire 800 drive? this would be super quick

I got the 5400 drive as well (15 in Superdrive)

its been 6 months of waiting, 2 weeks shouldn't be that hard should it? Yeah, right!

Counterfit
Apr 21, 2004, 07:25 PM
Two weeks? Ouch, I couldn't handle it. I was bummed when I had to wait two days to get mine at the last update.

Counterfit
Apr 21, 2004, 07:27 PM
By the way, how reliable is the PC Card reader in the PowerBook? I will be using it to download digital photographs from a Type I Compactflash Card. Considering that particular piece of hardware has going almost zero real change since it was first used, I would suspect that it would work just fine. I use a CF/PCMCIA adapter myself, but not that often. That is, until I get a 10D :D

law guy
Apr 22, 2004, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=JoeBean]I am seriously considering purchasing a new 15" 1.5GHz PowerBook with SuperDrive. I expect that I will keep it for several years at the very least, so I'd like to prepare it for any eventuality.
QUOTE]

JB -

I got the two $50 options:

1. The 128 Vid.
2. The 5400 HD (still surprised that the faster 7200 HDs that IBM is using as a BTO option weren't made available in the PB)

I saved on keeping the ram std. for now. I'll likely replace one of the 256 with a 1 GB in the future, but that's an easy upgrade, so I chose to spend the $100 extra on the two more integrated components.

LG

Acoustica
Apr 23, 2004, 12:35 AM
I think in the long run spending that $200 extra for 5400RPM, 128MB Video and the 1 SO-DIMM 512MB is the best purchase one can make. You get more than 1000 extra RPM (1k RPM is a LOT in HDD terms), double the memory in your GPU and the ability to expand to your hearts content that extra memory slot. Think of it this way, $200 right now might add an extra 6 or 7 months to the time until you'll need to upgrade again, easily saving up more than the inital $200 invested. :)

Bear
Apr 23, 2004, 07:04 AM

By the way, how reliable is the PC Card reader in the PowerBook? I will be using it to download digital photographs from a Type I Compactflash Card.Okay to answer you options questions:
128MB of graphics memory - the way Mac OS X makes use of it, the more you have, the better it is.
Either 1 stick of 512MB r 1 stick of 1 GB - As an upgrade, it'll cost you about the same as buying it elsewhere, leaves a slot free for furture expansion and above all, makes sure you have a stick of Apple memory in case the Powerbook has problems and you need to eliminate third party memory.
Bluetooth mouse...several good options and more appearing ove rthe next few weeks it seems. A keyboard only if you want to be able to place the keyboard in your lap or some such.
Other accessories? Probably Applecare. The 5400 RPM drive definitely. Anything else can be added later without replacing something else.
As for the PC Card flash reader, it will work. if you have a 16bit card, you might want to upgrade to a 32-bit card to get better performance from it.

At home, I have a firewire based compactflash reader and it's noticeably faster than a 16-bit pcmcia adapter. I plan on snagging a 32-bit card soon myself.