Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icedmocha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Where can I find a list of online games? I see a lot of posters here play them, but how? Are they web apps? Thanks. :)

Jomskylark

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
Many MMO (massively multiplayer online) games work through Wi-Fi or 3G as a download. Some you must connect to the same network, and some are LAN. There are bound to be some MMO web apps, but I haven't seen any.

Examples:

Galcon
iReversi
Raging Thunder

Tradewind

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2009
There are no mmorpg's for the iPhone, because the iPhone does not have the ability to store a game of that capacity or handle its graphics.
No - crap like iMob or iGirls or iBoys or iMafia or iWhatever are not mmo's; they are basically applications where you get to see random numbers and text and lame attempts at trying to earn money off the unwary.

Jomskylark

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
There are no mmorpg's for the iPhone, because the iPhone does not have the ability to store a game of that capacity or handle its graphics.
No - crap like iMob or iGirls or iBoys or iMafia or iWhatever are not mmo's; they are basically applications where you get to see random numbers and text and lame attempts at trying to earn money off the unwary.

What I meant by MMO wasn't necessarily massive amounts of people playing at one time, but by multiple people playing all on the same server in real time. Galcon contains support for up to four people playing at the same time, so I guess it would be more of a MO. :)

atomheartmother

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
What I meant by MMO wasn't necessarily massive amounts of people playing at one time, but by multiple people playing all on the same server in real time. Galcon contains support for up to four people playing at the same time, so I guess it would be more of a MO. :)

Check out Uniwar. Very fun online turn-based strategy game.

Tradewind

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2009
By MMORPG I mean that it has to at least have the standard of a simple thing like Maple Story. No application for iPhone has accomplished this standard yet. Games like UniWar are not MMORPGs, they are merely two player games. If anything involving wifi is considered an MMORPG, you might as well consider iChess an MMORPG.

Almy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
I agree there is no MMO on the iPhone yet. But you claimed it's because the iPhone is incapable and that's just not true. It will just take the right developer to decide to tackle it.

Jomskylark

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
Let's just stick with "MMO" for now... adding the RPG on the end just makes it sound like the game is a role-playing game, and confuses things. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.