Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Hi well I am getting uncomfortable....I don't do any extensive applications so I don't see a reason why my fans have to be 5000+ rpm when all I run is ichat and firefox/safari with 1 tab open...also I only get like 3mb free ram (seriously..) and like 500mb used :/ I have to wait about 10 minutes before they get to 'normal' settings...i ALWAYS everyday get the freakin rainbow circle thingy everytime I open an application a few minutes after I boot my computer, and it happens very frequently after I have booted. I have the 2.16gzh macbook with 1 gig ram. Why the hell is it doing this? :/ also for some reason I went from 57gigs to 51.6gigs in a week. My cousin uses this computer becuz my mom tells me not to b*tch so Idk what she has been doing, doesn't seem like much since its only myspace, but it seems she has download alot of music, and I don't know why even after I restart it goes to like 53gigs then 52 then 51....help? I have had this for about 1 and a half years now, I have been reading alot about macbooks but i can't afford more ram at this moment, idc if its 50 bucks for 4 gig i still can't...eh what can I do?

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
The decline of hard drive space most likely is leading to ram being thrown into swap due to limited physical ram.

What should I do then?? I had gotten a external harddrive as a gift (aside from the ram issue) and I backed up all my files, and deleted most of the applications which I didn't use, but I don't really know what else to delete might as well delete the winXP partition...or should I keep it? I only use it for emulators and stuff.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
Wait, but as I read it, he said that he had 50GB left. If so, then he should be fine. 1GB seems like a limiting amount, especially if he uses a lot of background apps or widgets.

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Wait, but as I read it, he said that he had 50GB left. If so, then he should be fine. 1GB seems like a limiting amount, especially if he uses a lot of background apps or widgets.

I don't use widgets, and the only backround apps I run are istat, or mainly iChat, which sometimes is my only app that is running...I have like 52gigs free out of 110 gigs (20 of which are winXP partition, so it would be 90 gigs)

Right now I have iStat menu, iChat, and Firefox running:

Wired:250mb+
Active: 350mb+
Inactive: 240mb+
Free: 50-100mb+

I already mentioned I don't use alot of apps that are ram hungry.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I used to have only 1GB of memory. I ran basic stuff like Safari and iChat, much like you are now. There's no way except to buy more memory. Safari is not resource hungry but more memory hungry. iChat is very light and not noticeable at all.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I don't use widgets, and the only backround apps I run are istat, or mainly iChat, which sometimes is my only app that is running...I have like 52gigs free out of 110 gigs (20 of which are winXP partition, so it would be 90 gigs)

Right now I have iStat menu, iChat, and Firefox running:

Wired:250mb+
Active: 350mb+
Inactive: 240mb+
Free: 50-100mb+

I already mentioned I don't use alot of apps that are ram hungry.

you have nearly 50% of free drive space, why is this a bother? I thought you were low on drive space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.