Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Hi, I was playing around with the 1.25 ghz powerbook right next to the 1.6 ghz powermac g5, and didn't notice too much of a performance difference in Photoshop or Garageband or Flash or finder apps. What would be the huge advantage for waiting 9 months till the g5 powerbooks come out if they won't likely even run at a much higher bus speed like the tower processors? i can't imagine the 1.5 ghz being more than 10-20% slower than a 1.6 ghz g5. I don't need a powerbook immediately, but I'm thinking of getting the new 1.5 15" superdrive next week. Is this 'book going to hold its worth for long, or is Apple going to concentrate on 64 bit configs. and leave the g4 crowd in the dust? By the way, I'm using Pro tools and photoshop primarily...no video editing (although I will get the 128 MB video upgrade). I swear to God this is one of my last powerbook posts...I want to make the right decision :).

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Bhennies said:
Hi, I was playing around with the 1.25 ghz powerbook right next to the 1.6 ghz powermac g5, and didn't notice too much of a performance difference in Photoshop or Garageband or Flash or finder apps. What would be the huge advantage for waiting 9 months till the g5 powerbooks come out if they won't likely even run at a much higher bus speed like the tower processors?

Its a good question. Since I am now very close to buying a G4PB17 I would be very interested in seeing Barefeets and others run speed tests on consumer and professional packages etc to see what the numbers breakdown like.

i can't imagine the 1.5 ghz being more than 10-20% slower than a 1.6 ghz g5. I don't need a powerbook immediately, but I'm thinking of getting the new 1.5 15" superdrive next week. Is this 'book going to hold its worth for long, or is Apple going to concentrate on 64 bit configs. and leave the g4 crowd in the dust? By the way, I'm using Pro tools and photoshop primarily...no video editing (although I will get the 128 MB video upgrade). I swear to God this is one of my last powerbook posts...I want to make the right decision :).

64 bit will become an issue in a few years which has me bothered with the G4. Concievably in say 4-5 years I think Apple will consider pensioning off the 32 bit OS with some backward bridging options for a few years after that. Not unreasonable decision but it means the lifespan and performance will be below that of a G5 as time goes by.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Hi. Based on some research I did here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/63754/
I'd be surprised if the 1.5 GHz PBs are not very close to the G5 1.6, esp. if you put the 5400 RPM HD in it. The G5 1.6 offered roughly a 20% performance improvement over the 1.25 GHz PB, I have to believe the 1.5 GHz PB would close the gap but probably not all the way. Extrapolating from what data is available, the G5 1.6 probably only offers a 5-10% performance advantage over the G4 1.5 PB.

Best,

Bob

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Apple of my eye said:
Although side by side comparisons may reveal similar speeds, the G5 should smoke the G4 based on bandwith alone.
Even if the Portable G5's e-Bus runs at a 1/3 or a 1/4 of the CPU speed to reduce the power/heat created by the System Controller -- the MHz rating of the e-Bus and it's bandwidth will still be higher that the 167MHz by 1GB/s sustained by 7447's MPX bus.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
I ordered a 17 inch powerbook

I ordered a 17 inch powerbook and I expect it to be maybe 5% slower than my brother's G5 1.6. I can give you guys a testimony when I receive my powerbook?

I am pretty sure the powerbook will crush in gaming, as the G5 has only an FX5200 Ultra... :D

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
Bhennies said:
Hi, I was playing around with the 1.25 ghz powerbook right next to the 1.6 ghz powermac g5, and didn't notice too much of a performance difference in Photoshop or Garageband or Flash or finder apps. What would be the huge advantage for waiting 9 months till the g5 powerbooks come out if they won't likely even run at a much higher bus speed like the tower processors? i can't imagine the 1.5 ghz being more than 10-20% slower than a 1.6 ghz g5. I don't need a powerbook immediately, but I'm thinking of getting the new 1.5 15" superdrive next week. Is this 'book going to hold its worth for long, or is Apple going to concentrate on 64 bit configs. and leave the g4 crowd in the dust? By the way, I'm using Pro tools and photoshop primarily...no video editing (although I will get the 128 MB video upgrade). I swear to God this is one of my last powerbook posts...I want to make the right decision :).

64 bit will be the difference in the long run. That and system bus speed. However, the difference won't be great short term for the average user.

Apple of my eye

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
Fresno, Ca
It is true that the G4 and G5 appear to be similar in current application execution, but keep in mind most current applications are written for 32 bit processing and don't take advantage of the G5's crazy specs. If you don't keep that in mind you end up thinking like those guys who try to compare the PC and Mac using a program that is written for Windohs not optomized for the G5 and begin waving there hands around screaming " See I told you the PC rules". Total losers.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
aswitcher said:
64 bit will become an issue in a few years which has me bothered with the G4.
People keep saying that in a few years the g4 will be outdated because of a 64 bit optimization process in most apps, but isn't it true that a few years is the average life expectency of a computer anyway? I mean, my g4 is just over 3.5 years old and it's already time to get a new one. Also, the g4 will still be compatible, right? I know people who still use g3 powerbooks and ibooks as portables. I can't see a company making new computers obsolete so quickly...they'd lose a lot of business- if apple did that I'd sure be pissed. Not to mention I can't see a reliable powerbook g5 (rev.b) coming out for 18 months at least (9 until g5 rev a then another 8-9 till rev b)-I'd love to see a g5 PB at WWDC but it ain't gonna happen. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm trying to convince myself to get a PB now :D

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Bhennies said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm trying to convince myself to get a PB now :D

Yeah, me too. I think I'll get the 17" now. I've been waiting along time to switch and whilst another 2-9 months might reveal the PBG5, I figure that although it might have speed, a DVD R/W, a higher resolution screen etc, I dont NEED those things...and in 4-5 years I'll get a G6PB :)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
one can always whine. always.

now people whine about apple not releasing the G5PB and when they do, the same people will begin whining about when the rev.b will be released. now the whiners argue that nobody sane will buy a G4PB because the G5PB is soon coming, and after the G5PB release the whiners argue that nobody sane will buy anything rev.a because rev.b will be so much better.

when are those whiners ever going to buy anything?

if G5 is a must, then wait for the rev.a and buy when it's released. if you are strictly not ever going to buy anything rev.a, then buy now or wait for the rev.b which will likely be available in less than two years.

or, if you don't want to think too much about it, buy when you need to.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
aswitcher said:
64 bit will become an issue in a few years which has me bothered with the G4. Concievably in say 4-5 years I think Apple will consider pensioning off the 32 bit OS with some backward bridging options for a few years after that. Not unreasonable decision but it means the lifespan and performance will be below that of a G5 as time goes by.

if you look on this forum, you will still see people using 400 Mhz and 500 MHz G4's from several years ago and still using them productively as well. I think apple knows this and wouldn't abandon the G4 in the near future

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
As a longtime mac (and before that, Apple II) user, I've noticed a rather simple pattern for machine obsolecense, and it's helped me make efficient purchases.

I usually buy the "second-best" machine available - because usually that incremental increase in power is relatively expensive, but the second-most-powerful is a good value. This would be akin to buying the PM G5 Dual 1.8 now.

Soon after a new machine is released, there'll be another released that's incrementally better. You have to be okay with this. It usually takes about 2 years before you notice significant performance differences compared with the latest machines, but the machine you bought is still very usable. At around 4 years, the latest software tends to not work so well (or not at all). At around 6 years, you can still use it for basic purposes, but any recent software innovations are unusable. Thus, I usually buy at 4-year-intervals; 2 year intervals if I really need to use something that's just come out; 6 year intervals if times are lean.

Right now I have a Pismo (400Mhz G3, 3.5 yrs old) which is adequate for photo editing, internet use, word processing/spreadsheet/drawing, etc. I've upgraded the RAM & hard drive, which has extended its life, but video editing is slow, and some apps (e.g. Garage Band) won't work. As this was a particularly well-designed powerbook (ergonomic, support for multiple monitors, etc.) I will probably be hanging onto this for awhile and getting a desktop system.

It doesn't seem to make alot of sense to get a single-processor G5. There's a tremendous difference in terms of performance between single & dual-processor systems. True, eventually you'll see the 64-bit processing coming into its own, but probably not before the machine becomes modestly outdated. The machines that seem to be the most logical purchases at this point are the 15" powerbook, the eMac, and the PM G5 1.8DP. Though they may come out with a faster machine tomorrow, I doubt that the above paradigm will change much.

--Dave

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Dave00 said:
As a longtime mac (and before that, Apple II) user, I've noticed a rather simple pattern for machine obsolecense, and it's helped me make efficient purchases.

I usually buy the "second-best" machine available - because usually that incremental increase in power is relatively expensive, but the second-most-powerful is a good value. This would be akin to buying the PM G5 Dual 1.8 now.

Soon after a new machine is released, there'll be another released that's incrementally better. You have to be okay with this. It usually takes about 2 years before you notice significant performance differences compared with the latest machines, but the machine you bought is still very usable. At around 4 years, the latest software tends to not work so well (or not at all). At around 6 years, you can still use it for basic purposes, but any recent software innovations are unusable. Thus, I usually buy at 4-year-intervals; 2 year intervals if I really need to use something that's just come out; 6 year intervals if times are lean.

Right now I have a Pismo (400Mhz G3, 3.5 yrs old) which is adequate for photo editing, internet use, word processing/spreadsheet/drawing, etc. I've upgraded the RAM & hard drive, which has extended its life, but video editing is slow, and some apps (e.g. Garage Band) won't work. As this was a particularly well-designed powerbook (ergonomic, support for multiple monitors, etc.) I will probably be hanging onto this for awhile and getting a desktop system.

It doesn't seem to make alot of sense to get a single-processor G5. There's a tremendous difference in terms of performance between single & dual-processor systems. True, eventually you'll see the 64-bit processing coming into its own, but probably not before the machine becomes modestly outdated. The machines that seem to be the most logical purchases at this point are the 15" powerbook, the eMac, and the PM G5 1.8DP. Though they may come out with a faster machine tomorrow, I doubt that the above paradigm will change much.

--Dave
Dave, your post is refreshing. I bought my dual 500 on closeout, and I am in the same exact boat as the people who waited for the dual 800 or 867's, they are still looking to buy new computers. Now I just need to decide if the 1.5 ghz is gonna be enough for me, I don't really know how much faster it's gonna be than my tower. But god it'll be great to be able to record outside with my 002r if I want! OR work on websites while eating in the kitchen. Makes me smile :)

furrina

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
pb 15" or DP 1.8 g5

Dave, this is exactly where I am right now -- I have a pismo 400 with faster (7200) harddrive and ram, and I need to buy a new machine for the minimal video editing I do.
I'm torn between getting a 15" pb and a dual 1.8 g5 desktop + 17" monitor.
It seems like the smarter thing really would be to get the desktop and use my g3 for any portability needs, but the powerbooks are so seductive, with portability and speed in one package -- and I know people who do fine with video editing on them, that now I'm back to the same state of indecision. I'm so sick of my old laptop, but I feel if I can afford it I should go for the g5 (and I'm not going to wait a year to buy a new computer, as I can't even use FCP 4 with mine.)

any advice between the two? and anyone guess about imminent new g5 powermacs that will make the g5 1.8 dual prices drop?

thanks!

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
furrina said:
Dave, this is exactly where I am right now -- I have a pismo 400 with faster (7200) harddrive and ram, and I need to buy a new machine for the minimal video editing I do.
I'm torn between getting a 15" pb and a dual 1.8 g5 desktop + 17" monitor.
It seems like the smarter thing really would be to get the desktop
This is the same problem I have. I want the dual 1.8 and 20" monitor, but am seduced by removing all that bulk from my studio. It sucks, no? However, I think I am starting to realize that the PB may not be enough for a permanant desktop replacement. I'm going to Guitar Center later today to play around with an audio/ video 1.25 ghz powerbook running Pro Tools/FCP. I'll let you know how it handles.

furrina

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
making me crazy

yeah, I'm not great with decisions.
The upshot is, I have about $3500 to spend. I also have the edu discount and will order a bto from apple. I do a bit of video editing (will do more in the future once I have a machine that can handle it) and other than that, just the basics. I really do want to get the best I can afford because I tend not to buy new computers for many years. What I have: updated g3 pismo powerbook
What I'm looking at:
15" pb g4
dual 1.8 g5 desktop
17" monitor (or 20"?)
(also will get wireless kbd +mouse, etc. plus more ram, ATA drive, etc. bto so that cost should be figured in)

Obviously can't get ALL of the above on my budget but still not sure what permutation of the above will be the best choice.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
furrina said:
yeah, I'm not great with decisions.
The upshot is, I have about $3500 to spend. I also have the edu discount and will order a bto from apple. I do a bit of video editing (will do more in the future once I have a machine that can handle it) and other than that, just the basics. I really do want to get the best I can afford because I tend not to buy new computers for many years. What I have: updated g3 pismo powerbook
What I'm looking at:
15" pb g4
dual 1.8 g5 desktop
17" monitor (or 20"?)
(also will get wireless kbd +mouse, etc. plus more ram, ATA drive, etc. bto so that cost should be figured in)

Obviously can't get ALL of the above on my budget but still not sure what permutation of the above will be the best choice.
With the powerbook, If I get the 128 MB video card, an extra gig of ram (digital society in NYC $350 installed), the faster 5400 HD, Apple care, a good case, and a Lacie 160 gig 7200 RPM hardrive, and a BT mouse, it puts me at 3278 (edu discount). Plus I'll be selling my g4, DIGI 001 and CRT monitor, so there's most of the money for the 20" monitor. That's looking like the more plausible option, especially since I will be buying a dual g5 next year (winter or spring). It's such a pain in the a$$ to move a desktop around with me. Plus I have a good friend that runs a very successful video company (commercials for Sprite etc.) here in New York, and they do everything on 867 powerbooks with Lacie 7200 HD's. Off to guitar center to check the 15" out with Pro tools!

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Ok...I just got back from Guitar Center and met a guy who is doing the exact same stuff I am...Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash and Pro Tools. He has the 17" 1.33 ghz g4 powerbook. He was in the same position as me: didn't know if the PB was going to do the trick or not- he wanted the g5, put decided portability was the most important thing. He said that he will never look back. The PB does everything he needs it to do.

I also tried out a 1.25 PB running on a Digi 002r, and it took about 35 plug ins to drop it out (only at 65% CPU usage limit anyway). Heavy plugs too, like reverbs and Delays. That being said, I think I'm gonna get the Powerbook. Thanks everyone for their help!

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Steven1621 said:
if you look on this forum, you will still see people using 400 Mhz and 500 MHz G4's from several years ago and still using them productively as well. I think apple knows this and wouldn't abandon the G4 in the near future

That would make for some interesting reading if every registered forum user were surveyed for their primary and secondary personal computers to see what the data is like...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.