Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Well, I had a deal spring up and I don't know what to do really. I was looking to get the 40D around June-ish to replace my older 10D. I figure that'd run me $700~800.

However a friend of mine has a contact within the high-end professional business. As in shooting Shaq, Bryant, etc for professional sports. He recently had a full set of Nikon gear practically given to him. Okay, so he still spent a few thousand, but...besides the point. He's selling all his Canon gear, or whatever he has left of it.

He's offered me a Canon EOS 5D 12.8MP + some good accessories + 4 batteries that are nearly new. $1200 all of it.

The camera itself was rarely used, low shutter count, etc. Great body.

But I'm told I should look into the 5D MkII. However, I doubt I'm ready to spend the $2500 on it yet. So, I'm asking is this a fair price? I mean, is the 5D worth buying at that price, or should I look at the Mk II or 40D?

I shoot a lot of landscapes, portrait, and lately a lot of sports. I think I could justify the need for full frame. Can I justify the price though? Will it hold?

I've got the lenses already. So just looking purely at the body. Looking for some perspective on this, as I have to make a decision soon.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
that's a good deal on the 5D. the mkII didn't gain enough resolution to put it far and away from the original, but mostly a bunch of features you may or my not use.

i suggest you look into a 1D mkII. the 5D is a great camera, but there're better options when it comes to sports. if you're ok with the relatively slow shooting rate, though, go for it. just make sure to enable the expanded focus points.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
If it was my money, I would be all over the 5D. Getting 3 batteries is half the distance between the prices already. I really love the feel and the 5D (and obviously the pictures that come out of it), but I haven't found one yet at a low enough pricepoint for me to get it. If you decide you don't like the 5D and would rather have a crop body, you can get your money back pretty easily. Just my .02

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
That's an excellent deal on a 5D, which is a fantastic camera. The 5DmkII is a better camera, no doubt, but I'd jump at a 5D for that price, especially if the shutter count is reasonable and its in generally good condition. Add a grip, and you're good to go.

I would take a 5D over a 40D any day.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
i suggest you look into a 1D mkII. the 5D is a great camera, but there're better options when it comes to sports. if you're ok with the relatively slow shooting rate, though, go for it. just make sure to enable the expanded focus points.

That's exactly what I did. I was all set to go with the 5D as an upgrade over my 10D, but decided to go with the 1DmkII in the end. The 1.3X crop is a nice compromise, giving me a little extra reach on the tele end vs. FF, and a little bit more coverage at the wide end, vs. 1.6X.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Take up the offer, you might not get the latest body, but the original 5D is still a great body and in fact the body that start the whole half sized FF dSLR ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.