PDA

View Full Version : Books for beginners in programming

Jens Ulrik
Apr 15, 2009, 03:30 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a beginner in programming, in fact I've never tried it before.
My question is, what books I should invest in?

If the books contain some examples of programming that would be perfect :)

Sander
Apr 16, 2009, 06:33 AM
I think it depends on your previous experience and your "type of learning". Some learn best by example and like something which works, while the understanding can come later; others need to understand everything they type in or they'll become stuck.

Disclaimer: I wrote an introductionary computer programming book myself.

Awesomeness
Apr 16, 2009, 03:41 PM
Books are very helpful. Books are hugely helpful. If you want to start programming, and you want to start easy, I'd suggest you try Python (http://www.python.org/). However, later on you may want to switch over to Java (http://java.sun.com/). Java is a bit harder, but learning it first would definitely help in he long run. Remember, start with books and simple tutorials, don't go big too fast. That's my recommendation. Good luck! :D

LtRammstein
Apr 16, 2009, 05:31 PM
Ugh!

I recommend buy a REFERENCE book. Like most computer science professors will tell you, the book is obsolete when it's published.

Look for tutorials online would be the best for any beginner. Heck, I did that!

djourd
Apr 16, 2009, 05:33 PM
Deitel has very good books for beginning programers. That how I started.

larswik
Apr 16, 2009, 06:01 PM
I started with Objective-C and it was to hard. I ended up learning Python and I got the book 'Python Programing Second Edition' I am half way through the book and it has not been that hard to follow. So far this has been a great book for someone starting out like me.

-Lars

Cromulent
Apr 16, 2009, 06:21 PM
Like most computer science professors will tell you, the book is obsolete when it's published.

How so? Most of my C books where published in the early 90's and they are certainly not out of date. Heck "The C Programming Language 2nd Edition" was published in 1989 and it is my most read computer book.

chrono1081
Apr 19, 2009, 09:20 AM
I have to agree programming books don't really go obsolete.

I started out learning x86 assembler...NOT recommended :)

As others have stated if your super new to programming its best not to get discouraged right away and certain languages, while useful, have a ton to cover (C++ I'm looking at you).

I would suggest starting with Python, learn it and learn it well, then switch to Java like a previous poster mentioned. Every computer language is fundamentally the same for the most part, its just the syntax that changes.

RedTomato
Apr 19, 2009, 05:24 PM
Anything except ABC. (*)

I burned my copy after leaving college.

* A Book on C. If the title is a lame pun, that's usually a bad sign. Shame it was our set text.