Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Unibody Macbook 2.4ghz:

Is it only made for pretty much netbook stuff:

- surfing the web
- email
- chat
- word processing

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If that's all you're going to do with a Macbook you might be better off just getting a netbook.

You don't really need a Core 2 for all that.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Unibody Macbook 2.4ghz:

Is it only made for pretty much netbook stuff:

- surfing the web
- email
- chat
- word processing

It can do a lot more than that, although it is very good at those things :D.

I use VMware Fusion on my 2.4GHz Macbook to run Windows and Ubuntu, I can even run some older games on VMware like Max Payne 2. Or, if you want higher performance you can install Windows on it and run more recent games - the 9400M and Core 2 Duo are pretty reasonable for most games.

I also use Xcode on my Macbook, although the smaller screen size is a bit cramped, but plug an external display in and it works great.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Skip the netbook

If you want a mac experience, buy the plastic macbook or low-end unibody.

Or find a 12" PB if you want smaller size...

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I am right or wrong the 13.3 1280x800 screen is too small to do anything ,but surfing the web, chat, email, word processing?

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
I am right or wrong the 13.3 1280x800 screen is too small to do anything ,but surfing the web, chat, email, word processing?

The 15" screen in the MBP is more suited to tasks like photoshop or xcode, but you can easily get by with the 13" screen and if you can master Spaces it shouldn't be a big deal.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
You can hook it up to an hdtv and watch 1080p bluray mkv movies with the macbooks.

You can use it to d/l music, movies, pr0n. :cool:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco

Wrong. It's a wide screen so you can watch movies, picture edit, movie edit, play some games I guess, write programs, watch TV (with EyeTV).

Before I call you a troll, mind explaining what you would like to do with a computer?

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg

The screen is fine for lots of things. While its certainly not a big enough screen for very professional use, it is great for amateurs and im sure some professionals use it as a secondary computer.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Wrong. It's a wide screen so you can watch movies, picture edit, movie edit, play some games I guess, write programs, watch TV (with EyeTV).

Before I call you a troll, mind explaining what you would like to do with a computer?

Web site creation using Dreamweaver, light photo editing, gaming( cod4, team fortresss 4, Unreal tournament 3, Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2{when it comes out}!

rmb7984

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
Tampa, FL

Are you serious? I use mine for making lectures, statistical analyses, writing manuscripts, encoding movies, making movies, watching movies, watching tv online, amateur photo editing, just to mention a few.

As a side note, I just notice I'm not a newbie anymore! That's exciting!

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Web site creation using Dreamweaver, light photo editing, gaming( cod4, team fortresss 4, Unreal tournament 3, Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2{when it comes out}!

The MB will handle all that stuff. Not at High Settings and 80 FPS, but it'll do it. If anything just get an external monitor and you'll be perfectly good to go. Especially for web design and photo editing.

sosaysiburke

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
yea i play all the latest games in bootcamp plus 720p movies it does pretty well and if your bothered by the size hook it to an external besides nothings better than being able to watch hidef movies or play games on the move when things get boring

Jamesl94

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2009
If you want a mac, go for a mac.

Some people I know buy macs just for web-browsing. As someone stated earlier in the thread, it's the whole mac experience.

The dell mini notes are nice, but they aren't even a spot on the new UBMB.

James.

gerbilbox

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003

I had a first generation MacBook, which has the same size and same resolution screen, but a lot slower, and I used it extensively for Adobe Photoshop CS4, Illustrator CS4 and Lightroom 2 without a hitch. Sure, I could have done better, but the MacBooks are very capable machines.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
13" doesn't sound all too appealing until you put it in your lap. I'm coming from a 15.4" screen, and I haven't had any issues. In fact, I'd say I prefer the smaller size now.:)

Milfette

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
Canada, igloo street
I had a first generation MacBook, which has the same size and same resolution screen, but a lot slower, and I used it extensively for Adobe Photoshop CS4, Illustrator CS4 and Lightroom 2 without a hitch. Sure, I could have done better, but the MacBooks are very capable machines.

after the first year with my iMac i hated having to be home to get anything work done in the same suite of programs and if i had to go on client calls i hated borrowing my bf's 17 MbP more.

I couldn't be happier to have a lil tiny powerhouse that can be easily attached to my tv to watch hd movies or an external monitor when i need to do a real project or two.

maybe im crazy but this thing is a mobile powerhouse

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
13" doesn't sound all too appealing until you put it in your lap. I'm coming from a 15.4" screen, and I haven't had any issues. In fact, I'd say I prefer the smaller size now.:)

I had the same fear about a 13.3" screen. I'd always used 15 inch screens at home and at work my laptop is a 14.1" Thinkpad. I kept telling myself that 13 was going to be way too small, but after I actually bought the MacBook, I haven't really noticed a glaring lack of screen size. I guess you just get used to it. Although I will say, my wife's 15" MacBook Pro from work looks positively ENORMOUS next to mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.