PDA

View Full Version : popping keys off a keyboard

janey
Apr 22, 2004, 12:10 AM
anyone have like specific instructions on how to pop keys off of one of those keyboards that uses the blasted scissor mechanisms?
i can get a few of the keys off, but some of the others, like the big return/shift/tab keys are harder.

SongSeeker
Apr 26, 2004, 09:44 PM
Those keys are a pain--to get off and to put back on. You've probably figured it out by now. The Shift, space, return, etc keys have a little metal bar that gives more support and/or connects mulitple scissor hinges. If you pop the top or bottom side of the key off first (whichever one seems to come off easiest), you can pull that metal clip out of it's holes. Just make sure you keep track of how all the pieces fit together so you can get it back together.

applekid
Apr 26, 2004, 10:05 PM
I use a flathead screwdriver and use it to pop each key out easily. Use the screwdriver as a lever, place the head under a key on either the left or right side, and pop it! The special keys with metal springs require a little extra push. I'd follow SongSeeker's advice on those keys.

The glue on those metal springs are really sticky. Just give it a little wipe and all of the dust and sticky stuff should be removed. Don't worry if you have no glue left on the metal springs. I find them useless.

I also recommend dropping all the loose keys in a bowl of warm water and some soap and give it a good rinse.