PDA

View Full Version : Which one do I keep? The Original or the 3G?

Apple Genius
Apr 15, 2009, 11:49 PM
I'm an Original iPhone user. I've got the 16BGB and I've managed to hold on to it for 2 years without cracking it (lol!). Well, I just refurbished a 3G from water damage. (it's an 8GB, but the case says 16, lol!!). I put another MB and new battery in it and it works fine.

I don't know much about 3G, except that I can get Internets via cell phone towers. My 2G iPhone is unlocked and I'm using Airvoice Wireless, but what's the point of keeping the 3G if I'm not using ATT?

PoitNarf
Apr 16, 2009, 12:05 AM
I don't know much about 3G, except that I can get Internets via cell phone towers.

The 3G gets better "Internets" than the 1st gen. The "series of tubes" is passes data through are larger, like a dump truck.

Now that I've had my fun, here's the specs of each model: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone#Specifications

The 3G can be unlocked as well btw, you have a LOT of reading to do...

Moi un Mouton
Apr 16, 2009, 04:02 AM
In my opinion, if you are not able to use the 3G service with your carrier, the deciding factor is probably the GPS service. If you don't want to use that then I'd stick with the 2G because it's a nicer phone. Just my opinion.

ziggyonice
Apr 16, 2009, 04:06 AM
....what's the point of keeping the 3G if I'm not using ATT?

Nothing really in regards to the network. If you unlock it, there's a number of things you can do, but ultimately using Edge will still work as it does on your original iPhone. So why keep the 3G? The processor and GPS, among other things. It runs smoother than the original iPhone, so any apps you install on it will load faster.

svndmvn
Apr 16, 2009, 04:47 AM
Nothing really in regards to the network. If you unlock it, there's a number of things you can do, but ultimately using Edge will still work as it does on your original iPhone. So why keep the 3G? The processor and GPS, among other things. It runs smoother than the original iPhone, so any apps you install on it will load faster.

wasn't the processor identical?

ChazDaSpaz
Apr 16, 2009, 05:32 AM
wasn't the processor identical?

Yes but on the 2G it was underclocked slightly.

svndmvn
Apr 16, 2009, 07:24 AM
Yes but on the 2G it was underclocked slightly.

same story on the 3g, check it out!
The only exception is the iPod touch 2g

jalpert
Apr 16, 2009, 07:30 AM
Having the recessed headphone jack was SO damn annoying...

machacker
Apr 16, 2009, 10:15 AM
I had the 3g and I switched down the 2g. Both were 8gb so size was no matter. I haven't really experienced a difference in speed. 3g speeds was never super strong for me in the dorm, so EDGE is fine. Besides I don't sit and surf for hours on it, I do that on my macbook. EDGE is fine for checking emails or using AIM from time to time. The only thing I can see myself missing is the AD2P bluetooth, but other than that, the 2g is just a stronger made phone. I hated feeling like I spent $200 bucks on a piece of plastic. The metal backing is so much nicer in your hand, and just looks more professional in my opinion. I love my 2g iPhone.

TheSpaz
Apr 16, 2009, 10:25 AM
I had the 3g and I switched down the 2g. Both were 8gb so size was no matter. I haven't really experienced a difference in speed. 3g speeds was never super strong for me in the dorm, so EDGE is fine. Besides I don't sit and surf for hours on it, I do that on my macbook. EDGE is fine for checking emails or using AIM from time to time. The only thing I can see myself missing is the AD2P bluetooth, but other than that, the 2g is just a stronger made phone. I hated feeling like I spent $200 bucks on a piece of plastic. The metal backing is so much nicer in your hand, and just looks more professional in my opinion. I love my 2g iPhone.

Which is the exact reason why I also bought a first gen iPhone too! Good post! I also have an iPhone 3G that I'm using as my main phone right now though. EDGE to 3G isn't that much different. Besides, most of my web browsing is just to check MacRumors... everything else can wait until I get to a computer anyway. I don't care if people think I'm spoiled, but I have a full time job and I earn the money I spend on my gadget fetishes.

diemos
Apr 16, 2009, 10:30 AM
I'd keep the 3G, especially with OS 3 coming out ull have a lot more features than on 2G, like MMS. its a no brainer.