PDA

View Full Version : WHY I LOVE APPLES MORE THAN ORANGES

rob_ppmax
Apr 22, 2004, 08:30 AM
Hi there, my name is rob, you may remember me from such threads as "APPLE's are RUBBISH", well i now am introducing:

"WHY I LOVE APPLES MORE THAN ORANGES"

The basic question is, WHY are you so passionate about apple products?

Why do they give your life purpose? This might seem quite extreme to a few, but from my many replies, Apple seems to be a way of life for you guys. Please explain. Will go in the report too ! :)

Rob.

billyboy
Apr 22, 2004, 09:03 AM
Apart from the safe bet of asking Mac fans to justify their expensive purchases of Macs, I guess you are getting slightly "demented" responses because an Apple product is not just a commodity. Man does not live on bread alone and all that. A Mac is a statement about form and function in a market that has commoditised the life out of most computers. The care and effort that seems to go into whatever Apple produces is astounding, and I can sense that when I am using my Mac. In my opinion Apple deserves a lot of support for shining in this grey knock it out world we live in.

Apple are a tiny company compared to the rest of the market, with a game plan like no other company in their market, and they just keep on producing the goods and drive the other 95% of the market in so many directions. It is like some sort of David v Goliath and as one who has always thought different even before I realised that Apple still made computers, I am only too pleased to tell people that if they spend more than a couple of hours a week involved with computers and listening to music, then anything from Apple is worth a very close look and a lot of consideration..

blackfox
Apr 22, 2004, 09:21 AM
Hi there, my name is rob, you may remember me from such threads as "APPLE's are RUBBISH", well i now am introducing:

"WHY I LOVE APPLES MORE THAN ORANGES"

The basic question is, WHY are you so passionate about apple products?

Why do they give your life purpose? This might seem quite extreme to a few, but from my many replies, Apple seems to be a way of life for you guys. Please explain. Will go in the report too ! :)

Rob.
I use macs because they are the most elegant iteration of a tool I need. Operating system and hardware are the most aesthetically pleasing and functional I have come across. That said, if a competitor did a better job than Apple on either, I would not hesistate to think about switching...but until then, I will stick w/ macs...they don't give my life purpose, but they best help me achieve those purposes...

abhishekit
Apr 22, 2004, 09:25 AM
As someone here has in his signature..it goes something like We take somethings for granted, good food, clean air and apple computers

cheers

MacDawg
Apr 22, 2004, 10:03 AM
When I use my computer, there is more involved than just productivity. I want to enjoy the experience. I like the interface of the Mac, the elegance of the equipment, and the sense of belonging to the Mac community. I think the "Think Different" campaign and the 1984 commerical express it well. Everyone and anyone uses Windows, and there are so many problems associated with it, but the masses are seemingly mindless drones, slaves to the Microsoft world.

I have used a Mac since my first SE, probably 16 or 17 years ago, and I've always had a Mac. I use Windows at work, but I endure it. I help my coworkers troubleshoot their problems, etc. but given the choice, I would always use a Mac.

rueyeet
Apr 22, 2004, 11:31 AM
Y'know, as soon as I saw the all-caps title, I knew it was you. :)WHY are you so passionate about apple products? ....Why do they give your life purpose? Well, that is kind of extreme. I wouldn't say they give my life purpose.

But they do make my computing experience a lot more enjoyable. Doing stuff on the computer has gone from being a necessary chore, or mere productivity for its own sake, to a pleasing activity that offers new possibilities.

The difference is a subtle, hard-to-nail down thing. But if I had to reduce it to a single unifying reason, here's the thing: You know how when you see something that's aesthetically pleasing--not in the sense of sunsets or beautiful women, but something that's designed well--you just instinctively have that small increase of happiness because of the inherent rightness of what you're seeing?

Apple products are like that. Not just in looks, but in use. Something in you just sighs a little, and relaxes a little, and becomes a little happier...because it just has that rightness to it.

Or, at least, a heck of a lot more so than Windows. :D

Counterfit
Apr 22, 2004, 11:37 AM
Why Apple Are Better Than Oranges (http://sinfest.net/d/20040405.html) :D

markoibook
Apr 22, 2004, 12:12 PM
Well oranges are a pain - you have to peel the skin, watch out for pips etc...
Oranges are much better when they are beaten to a pulp and turned into Juice. ;)

That aside, will you be publishing your report on the web at all? It sounds as though it will make quite an interesting read!

Good luck!

rdowns
Apr 22, 2004, 05:11 PM
Why do they give your life purpose?

What a stupid question. If a computer gave my life purpose, I'd buy an iGun and shoot my brains out. Of course, many in here would complain that they need the ProGun or PowerGun to get the job done.

7on
Apr 22, 2004, 06:37 PM
I like Apple products because I am 1337.

slooksterPSV
Apr 22, 2004, 07:03 PM
I like Apple because it has utilities that Windows doesn't plus its faster, more reliable and doesn't have all the security issues like Windows. Maybe Apple should teach Microslut how to actually write a good operating system. I'm going to soon buy an iBook. I think more people should move to Apple and leave Microsoft Windows broken in the garbage.

rob_ppmax
Apr 23, 2004, 10:11 AM
What a stupid question. If a computer gave my life purpose, I'd buy an iGun and shoot my brains out. Of course, many in here would complain that they need the ProGun or PowerGun to get the job done.

I only said that becuase it is a major thing in some people's lives. I have had over 350 replies to my questionnaire, and for a few people it kinda does.

rueyeet
Apr 23, 2004, 10:49 AM
Why Apple Are Better Than Oranges (http://sinfest.net/d/20040405.html) :DPoor orange! Too funny. :D

Counterfit
Apr 28, 2004, 07:45 PM
the ProGun or PowerGun to get the job done. More like Final Gun Pro :D

Dahl
Jun 25, 2005, 10:26 AM
Did somebody mention the iGun ?
http://www.wulffmorgenthaler.com/log/DD25062005.gif

dejo
Jun 25, 2005, 10:31 AM
Will go in the report too ! :)

Report?

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 25, 2005, 11:26 AM
WHY are you so passionate about apple products?One answer: They work. No hassle, they just work.

OS X consists of a very nice and user friendly GUI on top of a very stable and secure *nix based operating system. And, since Apple also has full control of hardware production, the OS fits the machines, and most driver problems/incompatibility are thus avoided. Not to mention problems with malware...

H***, I was hooked even back in the classic days, solely because of the user-friendliness (compared to Windows 3.11), and as I has gotten a bit more advances, so has Mac OS. ;)

And, to go beyond Macs and OS X: iPods and iTunes are also a concept I had, more or less, wet dreams about back in the 80s, when I used hours and hours to compile mixed tapes from vinyl albums. I've had "walkmen" since ~1981 and even back then I hoped for something easier than 90 minutes cassettes. I wanted a portable jukebox, and now my iBook is just that (and with the introduction of Airtunes it now sends wirelessly to my hifi :D).

And with the iPod mini came the perfect portable music player along. It fitted my needs (and wallet), and my cousin and I ordered form CompUSA within days after they were released and got ours 6 months before they were released in Europe (or rather everywhere but USA). I have no need for an iPod with all my music on it (that's what I have my iBook for), so I just sync my favorite (smart and regular) playlist for my "offline" listening... ;)

Witch leads to my other answer: Apple delivers products that fit my needs, like no other company (now come on iPhone to replace my T68i ;)). But in the hypothetical situation where Apple stopped delivering, I would find another hardware and/or software supplier that would, without a second thought about it.