PDA

View Full Version : 'Flower Garden' for iPhone is a Beautifully Designed App

MacRumors
Apr 16, 2009, 02:47 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/16/flower-garden-for-iphone-is-a-beautifully-designed-app/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/04/16/154435-flower.jpg

A beautiful new app from SnappyTouch (http://www.snappytouch.com) is offering iPhone users a very polished flower garden experience. Appropriately titled Flower Garden [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311265471&mt=8)], this sim/toy app has a strange appeal that's not unlike Koi Pond and Pocket God

Flower Garden is just that -- a virtual flower garden in your iPhone. You can plant different types of seeds, water them and watch them bloom. Some flowers bloom immediately, while others may take some care over time. Once you have a collection of flowers, you can even cut them and send them to your friends in an electronic bouquet.

The level of polish and detail on the app, however, add greatly to the experience. This video shows the app in action (music not included):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nM_5nxFSUM

App Store Link: Flower Garden, $2.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311265471&mt=8)

Article Link: 'Flower Garden' for iPhone is a Beautifully Designed App (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/16/flower-garden-for-iphone-is-a-beautifully-designed-app/)

leandromp
Apr 16, 2009, 03:12 PM
This is a beautiful app.
I recommend it to anyone.

chr1s60
Apr 16, 2009, 03:29 PM
It does look like a really nice app, but $3 for a pretty much useless app is too much for me. $.99 and I'll consider.

shadowmatt
Apr 16, 2009, 03:54 PM
<sarcasm>No aliens, street fighting, gangsters or monsters = lame</sarcasm>

SirJankovic
Apr 16, 2009, 03:55 PM
you seriously have to ask yourself if this is what it's come to when people pay 3 dollars for this....

xmax21
Apr 16, 2009, 04:07 PM
I agree...great looking app but not worth $3

crees!
Apr 16, 2009, 05:00 PM
I agree...great looking app but not worth $3

Not worth it? That's a joke. The amount of time and detail spent on this I could see the price be $5 or more.

A couple months ago a friend and I were discussing doing something similar (growing plant app) but this really is over the top. Well done goes to the dev(s).

leandromp
Apr 16, 2009, 05:14 PM
all those .99 cents app out there are just garbage and crashes constantly. !! this one, in the other hand, hasnt crashed to me not even 1s!, the details are amazing and the design, 5 stars!!! and the interface is really good.

speedbumpnv
Apr 16, 2009, 05:24 PM
do your friends also need the app too for you to send them flowers?

Jeff321
Apr 16, 2009, 05:55 PM
Wow, growing flowers? I think I'll pass.

Rojo
Apr 16, 2009, 06:03 PM
Beautifully designed app -- but I had to stop watching the YouTube video after a while, because the guy's finger was so nasty!! :(

arn
Apr 16, 2009, 06:42 PM
do your friends also need the app too for you to send them flowers?

no, it's sent via email.

arn

Resist
Apr 16, 2009, 07:30 PM
$3 for a flower design app seems a bit much. Any chance of passing out some free promo codes for it?

MacFly123
Apr 16, 2009, 10:57 PM
Very nice design, I do think it appeals to a limited demographic though, but they are probably willing to pay the price so seems good.

3goldens
Apr 16, 2009, 11:11 PM
What an idiotic thing to spend money on. As I have said I have never in my life seen as many stupid things for sale in one place in my entire life.

What a complete waste of time and money!

Xian Zhu Xuande
Apr 17, 2009, 12:24 AM
Beautiful program, but like the other eye-candy programs like iBonsai and Koi Pond, $0.99 is the right price point. I agree with the above poster that it looks like some exceptional work went into it, but if I'm going to play with an app that does nothing $0.99 is the price I'm happy to pay. :)

And I'm happy to own apps like Koi Pond and iBonsai for that price.

Doctor Q
Apr 17, 2009, 12:25 AM
It's the gardener's version of the virtual pet idea. A Tamagotchi in a flowerpot.

Some people like action games, some like puzzles or word games, some like apps that produce sound effects, some like apps for drawing a mustache on somebody's photo. And no doubt some will find an app like this fun or relaxing.

Evangelion
Apr 17, 2009, 03:01 AM
you seriously have to ask yourself if this is what it's come to when people pay 3 dollars for this....

For some reason I'm reminded of the offline-wikipedia when I read comments like this. It costs $7.99 (IIRC), and people complained "that's too much". Yeah, eight bucks for the biggest encyclopedia in the world is clearly too much money....

So, three dollars for this. Why not? Seriously? If it gives you enjoyment, why on Earth not? If it has been created with love and care, why not? Should we nickle and dime everything?

Three bucks is about as much as a good cup of coffee in a cafe. That coffee gives you enjoyment for few minutes, this app could give you enjoyment for hours and hours. So is three bucks REALLY that much money?

stokesy7
Apr 17, 2009, 04:16 AM
does this app come in mens?? haha

zarusoba
Apr 17, 2009, 08:12 AM
Um, how about real flowers?

kerryn
Apr 17, 2009, 10:22 AM
So you can send virtual flowers to someone. That might be nice and better than an ecard if they know that you "grew" the flowers yourself.

Still, might not get the same result as sending real flowers though. Then again, for three bucks I can only buy three tulips at my local florist.

pez13
Apr 17, 2009, 10:59 AM
wow this reminds me i gotta get to work on my water boiling app :rolleyes:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/821/beaker0090.jpg

you sync it to a pot of water on the stove. Then you can keep your iphone
with you in the other room and wait and watch the animation on the phone to see
when the water is boiling. If you touch it the app says OUCH!!! and many more surprises!!!!!

I'm going to make millions!!!

FoxyKaye
Apr 17, 2009, 12:38 PM
Will they wilt and die if you don't water them? That would be kind of fun to email as well...

Also, how do you unlock the additional seed packets?

chinarider
Apr 17, 2009, 01:19 PM
I'd love to see a vegetable version!

China

steve10172
Apr 18, 2009, 03:10 AM
A soothing app when you are a bit stressed. A bit pricey though.

shiunn
Apr 18, 2009, 09:24 AM
does it come with the background music? cuz it complements the experience really well.
having said said, I can see myself getting bored of it after few minutes...

anyone know what's the name of the tune in the background?

mikeinternet
Apr 19, 2009, 04:40 PM
this is not very interesting to me at all.

EarthDawn
Apr 20, 2009, 02:13 PM
well...

remember the Pet Rock ???

how much did that retail for and what was it success ???

:eek:

twoodcc
Apr 20, 2009, 06:40 PM
just watched the video. this app does look nice

Bubba Satori
Apr 21, 2009, 08:58 AM
Jeebus, what a bunch of cheap buggers. :D Beautiful app for the price of a latte.

djinn
Apr 23, 2009, 01:41 PM
I bought the app, grew some flowers, sent them to the wife, and got laid. :D

zelmo
Apr 23, 2009, 02:36 PM
I bought the app, grew some flowers, sent them to the wife, and got laid. :D

That is one sweet app, my friend.;)

cwedl
Apr 27, 2009, 12:26 PM
I suppose it's ideal for people who:
a)are too fat and lazy to do some gardening
b)don't have a garden

I'd rather be outside and plant my own seeds

adamcz
Apr 29, 2009, 09:09 AM
You guys need to get a job. Either you like the app or you don't, but if you like it, how can $3 be problematic? If you own an iphone in the first place, I'm assuming (hoping?) your monthly income is some normal amount, and not like $250.

Kaibelf
Apr 29, 2009, 10:43 AM
I suppose it's ideal for people who:
a)are too fat and lazy to do some gardening
b)don't have a garden

I'd rather be outside and plant my own seeds

Or, there's the possibility that:
a)you find value in not spending that much time digging in the dirt after paying far more than 3 bucks for flowers that die 1 week after picking
b)you live in a city

I downloaded this app because of the buzz about it. It's fascinating. I agree with the prior comment that people DO respond to the flowers, because you virtually grow them yourself, choose which to include, and then personalize a note. Much better than spending 30-75 bucks to send a bouquet to someone, or going to a flower shop for something that dies on someone's desk.

A friend of mine was having a rough day, and I made a quick bouquet and sent it to her, and she was beyond happy at how thoughtful it was, as well as how it arrived about 5 minutes after we had spoken. For 3 bucks? Well worth it. Also, unlike Koi Pond, this is not just for your use, it's to create something for someone else.

Also: The more flowers you grow, the more types are unlocked.
The 1.01 update added the background music (seems to have been composed by the dev).
There's no limit to sending, and all you need is an e-mail address of the recipient.
There's special hidden types, and the dev is apparently looking into adding other types of plants, as well as hybrid flowers.
It's just a nice, fun thing. How many Tetris knock-offs and lame fart machines do you need?