PDA

View Full Version : N Korea train blast may have killed 3000.

iGav
Apr 22, 2004, 10:14 AM
3000 people... :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3649655.stm

bousozoku
Apr 22, 2004, 10:43 AM
There's nothing like carrying dangerous freight and passengers on the same train. I suppose those of us who've ridden trains can be thankful for safety procedures concerning inflammable materials.

mactastic
Apr 22, 2004, 10:52 AM
And the NK government wants to hide this from the rest of the world. Nice. Too bad it couldn't have been, what was it, nine hours earlier... :(

Dippo
Apr 22, 2004, 11:10 AM
And the NK government wants to hide this from the rest of the world. Nice. Too bad it couldn't have been, what was it, nine hours earlier... :(

That would have been just a little too convenient.

Counterfit
Apr 22, 2004, 11:39 AM
Ouchies :(

bousozoku
Apr 22, 2004, 12:00 PM

It wouldn't have mattered. I'm sure there are dozens of clones to take the leader's place.

I think it would be difficult to hide that explosion from the spy satellites that continually view that area. I suppose that, if they showed a photo, they'd be admitting to surveillance, though. :D

Blackstealth
Apr 22, 2004, 01:57 PM
Call me a skeptic, but a train carrying LPG and another carrying Petrol on the same track, passing through a busy station at the same time? Even if they're on different tracks you don't schedule them to pass each other in a built up area.

I know the North Koreans don't have a great track record when it comes to safety and the like, but not even an intern on their first day routes two trains like that anywhere near each other, at least not without a good few miles of track between the two of them.

The stupid thing is the real answer to what happened there probably lies only a few miles up the road from here at our local, friendly, NSA listening station (http://www.fas.org/irp/facility/menwith.htm).

goodwill
Apr 22, 2004, 02:21 PM
I agree with Mactastic and Dippo. Can you not believe, there have been no pictures and North Korea severed there international phone lines. This sounds very fishy and fantastically bizarre. Nearly 8 hours later and still no photos or news. I would sell myself on ebay before I'd live in North Korea.

goodwill
Apr 22, 2004, 02:26 PM
Also, noteworthy.

September 11th 2,749 people were killed. As unfortunate as both disasters are/were 3,000 has the same magnitude in regards to the devastation of life, but I can not believe the secrecy of this. To recall, 9/11, it was everywhere, worldwide, it was 24/7 daily and monthly for an extreme basis and it also started immediately.

Dros
Apr 22, 2004, 03:31 PM
The CNN report said that Kim Jong Il had passed through the station a few hours before coming back from China. I'm sure that got his paranoid mind freaked out, as perhaps it should.

cyks
Apr 22, 2004, 05:13 PM
Also, noteworthy.

September 11th 2,749 people were killed. As unfortunate as both disasters are/were 3,000 has the same magnitude in regards to the devastation of life, but I can not believe the secrecy of this. To recall, 9/11, it was everywhere, worldwide, it was 24/7 daily and monthly for an extreme basis and it also started immediately.

Yes, but 9/11 was caused intentionally to hurt and kill... this was - well... we're not sure what this was yet.
You'd have been better comparing this to any of the earthquakes that have struck in the past 10 years... Turkey- Mexico and such...and how quick the world was to send help to who ever needed/asked for it.

applemacdude
Apr 22, 2004, 06:07 PM
Noe 4000 feared dead or injured according to FOXNEWS network.....Its really sad cuz NK doesnt want to even tell what has happened....

Macmaniac
Apr 22, 2004, 07:56 PM
I wonder if someone could use satellites to take pictures of the disaster, if it is as devastating as the reports are then it would be easily photographed by high powered satellites. Some are suggesting this accident was caused because of Il's trip on the same line earlier, this diverted trains so they ended up on the wrong track after he passed by.

wdlove
Apr 22, 2004, 08:49 PM
That is a very sad tragic accident. Chances are the CIA has taken spy satellite photos already. Families are being torn apart by this accident. I pray that the victims, family and friends may be comforted. I hope that is was just a tragic accident.

mactastic
Apr 22, 2004, 09:19 PM
I wonder if someone could use satellites to take pictures of the disaster,

Yeah, they can see the wreck. Supposedly they can read the newspaper from over your shoulder from space.

dobbin
Apr 23, 2004, 06:38 AM
This picture was taken in May 2003 - it shows that there are many houses close to the railway line. From news.bbc.co.uk

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40072000/jpg/_40072755_ryonchon_203.jpg

Earlier the BBC was also showing a satelite photo showing a lot of black smoke over this area, but that photo has now been removed. It was allegedly taken 18 hours after the incident.

I'm glad to hear that NK is now accepting help from the UN.

farmboy
Apr 23, 2004, 09:58 AM
Back in the '70s, my brother was working for the government on lens designs for satellites. Even then the spysats could identify the rank of a soldier in the field, through the epaulets on his shoulder. He couldn't tell me more. But when you see a "spyphoto" in a publication or on the news, you are most definitely NOT seeing the most high magnification photos they have. Never let the enemy (or the public) know what cards you hold. Common sense.