Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucy in the Sky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Hi all! My problem is that my trusty 30GB iPod video (the first one that came out) is running out of space.

It is set to manual, and according to the capacity bar, I have less than a GB left!!!

I no longer watch videos on my iPod, so I wanted to remove all the videos (the capacity bar says that I have 271 videos).
I have tried to manually remove them but they don't show up on my iPod, and the Mac Genius at the Genius bar told me that if I synced my iPod with the videos on my iTunes, the "ghost videos" should go away (because I have removed all video content from my iTunes).

then, when I was about to sync my iPod with the videos on my itunes, it gave me the warning message :

Are you sure you want to sync movies? All existing songs, movies and TV shows on the iPod "Rockstar" will be removed and replaced with movies from your iTunes library.

this scared me because I don't have a back-up of my library because my computer crashed this summer.

Shortened version of my question:
so, if anyone knows if it's safe for me to just sync my videos and movies without deleting all my songs, please tell me! I have so many more songs I want to put on my iPod!!

-Liss

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
what you want to do is use a program like senuti (itunes spelled backwards) to extract the songs from your ipod onto your computer, place them in your library, then sync. If you sync now, you will lose all the songs that are on your ipod but not on your computer.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Yeah, Senuti or Podworks are two programs that will allow you to get your music off your iPod. Both of them have trial versions available, although I don't know what they permit (or how many songs the trial allows you to transfer). So you may have to fork over $10 or $15 for the full version.

These programs work very well though -- and they will get your music off your iPod.

Lucy in the Sky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
wow, thanks for the fast responses!

yeah, there is a problem with those programs,

well, not with the programs, just with my computer: it is also running out of space rapidly. I'm not sure it has a good 30 gbs in it to back up my library. Are you sure that I would lose everything if I just synched my videos and movies and not my music?

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I don't know. I wouldn't risk it until i bought an external HDD or a larger internal HDD and use senuti. If you try to do a workaround, I think you're asking for it!

Lucy in the Sky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
I fixed it!! I actually made a smart playlist and made the genre "podcasts" then, I highlighted the podcasts I wanted to delete, and pressed alt/option delete!!!!

so happy! now I have 5 GBs more space!
-Liss

leRiCl

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
There should be a hidden folder on your iPod, go into it. There should be more folders, with names like A0, B8, etc... Keep going in there, eventually you'll get to song files. They dont have a meaningful title but its still the songs, still go the mp3 information, like title, artist, etc. Just add them back to your iTunes to get the songs from your iPod. Make sure you bought the songs somewhere though ;)

But you don't have any disk space....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.