Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan McCanical

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
First off, I went ahead and bought the new 12" powerbook with superdrive and 24 hours later, I think it might be the best purchase I have ever made. I love everything about it.

Anyway, I run protools and simply want to know if I should shell out the extra $200+ in order to add a gig of ram to this thing or just settle for 512mb + 256 built in?

Also, where is the cheapest place to get ram. Crucial.com looks pretty solid, but there has to be cheaper places for a gig stick of ram. THanks!

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Crucial is the _BEST_ place to get memory from. If you want to save an extra 5% off your order goto http://www.crucial.com/partners. On my rev. B 12'' PB I'm running 768megs of RAM and I don't have any problems. Then again, I'm not running the protools. I think 768 is plenty.

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
Ryan McCanical said:
First off, I went ahead and bought the new 12" powerbook with superdrive and 24 hours later, I think it might be the best purchase I have ever made. I love everything about it.

Anyway, I run protools and simply want to know if I should shell out the extra $200+ in order to add a gig of ram to this thing or just settle for 512mb + 256 built in?

Also, where is the cheapest place to get ram. Crucial.com looks pretty solid, but there has to be cheaper places for a gig stick of ram. THanks!

I don't have any personal experience with either of these companies; I am just reporting price information. I checked myself yesterday because I am about to order a 17" PB and wanted to know about the memory prices before I did so. For a 1GB stick, Crucial $436, Memorysolutions.com $345.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Personally, I buy only from Kingston, even though they hardly have the lowest prices.

I've always dealt with them in the past and they have the best return policy and the fastest turnaround when a product is defective -- even if I didn't originally buy a product from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.