Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/africa/04/22/south.africa.plunge.reut/index.html

CAPE TOWN, South Africa (Reuters) -- A South African man survived an 18-floor plunge from a Cape Town hotel room and was well enough to call out to amazed rescuers, police said Thursday.

Nicholas du Plooy broke both arms and a leg and also injured his neck late Tuesday after he toppled out of a 19th-floor window at the Cape Town Ritz Hotel late Tuesday.

Nearby restaurant worker Gino Del Giovine told the Cape Argus newspaper he was alerted to the accident by passers-by who burst into his business yelling "Hey, we've just seen a guy flying off the top of the Ritz!"

"I was expecting a real mess," Del Giovine told the newspaper.

Instead, he and others rushing to the scene found du Plooy had crash-landed on the roof of the hotel's ground floor reception, his fall apparently broken by metal roofing sheets.

He was conscious and speaking. "He said, 'I need help, my neck is in pain'," Del Giovine told the newspaper.

After treatment at a nearby hospital, medics pronounced du Plooy "stable, talking and fine."

Police said they believed du Plooy's plunge was accidental but would not speculate on the circumstances. "There's no foul play suspected. The guy just fell out of the window," police spokeswoman Priscilla Ndongeni said.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I remember hearing about some pilot that bailed out either sans parachute or his chute failed, anyway he fell from a couple thousand feet and landed on a webbing of tree branches that broke his fall enough that he survived.

As someone once told me "For humans, unaided flight isn't that difficult. It's the landing that's tough to get right." :p

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
This reminds me of the story I read in the aftermath of 9/11...of a guy who fell umpteen stories when the WTC tower he was in (don't remember which) collapsed...he escaped with broken ankles/legs, assorted injuries. Perhaps it was because it was such a terrible event and loss of life, but I just LOVED that guy...people like this gotta have friends upstairs...

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
blackfox said:
This reminds me of the story I read in the aftermath of 9/11...of a guy who fell umpteen stories when the WTC tower he was in (don't remember which) collapsed...he escaped with broken ankles/legs, assorted injuries. Perhaps it was because it was such a terrible event and loss of life, but I just LOVED that guy...people like this gotta have friends upstairs...

When the towers were burning and there were people high up jumping everyone thought that it was something stupid to try/do. When the towers fell almost noone was pulled out of the wreckage. Jumping might have been the smart thing to do.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That is a tragic accident. Someone was watching out for him. Probably with the shock and adrenalin he didn't feel any pain, until later.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
goodwill said:
No kidding. I once fell outta bed and that killed.
I used to fall out of bed all the time when I was growing up. It was the top bunk of a bunk bed. About six feet onto a hard floor. I never even woke up. I guess you could say I am a heavy sleeper. ;)

Apparently Humans have a really high terminal velocity making it hard for us to land without dying. I have heard of cats falling out of really tall apartments and since cats have a low terminal velocity, and they spread themselves out when they fall they usually survive.
Whoa that guy is lucky :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.