PDA

View Full Version : G4 upgrade wont install on Blue & White G3...help!

Luuchi
Apr 22, 2004, 02:32 PM
I'm currently running a Blue and White G3 400 and want to install this G4 with AltiVec in it because i'm running OS X 10.2 and want the performace gain.The upgrade is an XLR8 G4 ZIF @ 466MHz compatible with beige and Blue and white G3s.The CPU is in perfect condition.I set the jumpers on the CPU for my system correctly, install the CPU, turn on the system and get about 3 or 4 beeps and the system wont start up.I try to upgrade my G3 firmware to 1.1 but the installer tells me my firmware is already up to date.Anyone know what to do so i get this working?

Spock
Apr 22, 2004, 03:57 PM
Did You try ressetting You logic board? Remove the power cord and press the power button on the board and remove the PRAM battery and prese the CUDA button and wait 11 minutes and hook everthing back up and power on. Also is the memory good? 3 beeps means Your RAM Banks failed.
and 4 to 5 means Bad Cheksum for the remainder of the boot rom block.

chv400
Apr 22, 2004, 05:10 PM
is your ROM enabled for a G4? When i got my upgrade the instuctions said to enable the ROM to allow the use of a G4

Luuchi
Apr 22, 2004, 07:18 PM
Here is a link to what the problem was: http://www.macintouch.com/bg3upgrade.html and here is a link to where i obtained the fix: http://www.xlr8.com/support/downloads/download-xlr8/software/b_xlr8_software_download1.html.It works now and i'm very happy.The speed is noticeable in OS X 10.2.Got it running at 500MHz, the highest recommended setting by XLR8 for the B&W.Thanks for the help.

Sparky's
Apr 22, 2004, 07:24 PM
When I installed a Sonnet G4-500 CPU in my G3-400 B&W The manual instructed me to start up in OS 9 first, install the sonnet software second, then shut down the computer and install the new CPU, then reboot. All went just fine and I then booted into OS X (Jaguar) and have never looked back. Don't know if your upgrade works the same but I would think the sequence should work the same.

Luuchi
Apr 22, 2004, 07:40 PM
The XLR8 upgrade was actually plug and play from the beginning (after the update) meaning you pop it in with software or not and it'll work even with a fresh install of OS X w/o 9 but it recommended that you install the software first according to the manual.You reminded me that i need to install my MACh Speed Control software for OS X.Totally forgot.Thanks.

chv400
Apr 22, 2004, 08:23 PM
i got my G4 enabler thing that updates the ROM for use of a G4 form here
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=6688&Item=OWCZG4500B600

Luuchi
Apr 22, 2004, 10:34 PM
Nice.

Sparky's
Apr 23, 2004, 04:52 PM
I'm gonna make this another new thread because I'm really Pi**** about this situation. What you are seeing is the "Stock" G3-450 innards with the original CPU and the ATI 128 video card. the second picture is the "NEW" G4-800 Sonnet CPU we paid $350 for. Guess what..... It don't work!!!
Check out how close the video card comes to the original and then how much bigger the new CPU is. It sticks out (what you see on the top) about 3/4" to far to fit. And according to their on-line store (see big red button) it's G3 compatible.
https://secure1.sonnettech.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_35&products_id=118

I'd like to meet the engineer who figured that one out :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Luuchi
Apr 24, 2004, 01:12 PM
Do you still have it? If you do you should try the XLR8 G4 Firmware updater for B&W G3s v.1.0.1 that i used.Let me know if you try it and if it works.

Sparky's
Apr 24, 2004, 09:48 PM
Do you still have it? If you do you should try the XLR8 G4 Firmware updater for B&W G3s v.1.0.1 that i used.Let me know if you try it and if it works.

Luuchi, I wasn't sure if you were talking to me or not but this isn't a software issue with me, as you can see in the photos, the unit physically doesn't fit into the plug with out removing the video card. I need 3/4" to even get it into the plug on the mother board.

If you weren't talking to me, then, never mind. I have started a new thread with my problem anyway.

Luuchi
Apr 25, 2004, 04:30 AM
Yes Sparky's was talking to you thinking it was a software issue then saw your other thread and realized it was that the upgrade didn't fit.That's a real bummer.I'd be just as mad.You should try eBay...maybe a Beige owner will bid on it.

Sparky's
Apr 25, 2004, 09:28 PM
Nice call, I'll take that up with my boss on monady after I call Sonnet and see what they have to say. I notice on this screen shot that the 700 and 1.0 ghz models need to be the "U" versions but nothing aobut the 800. :confused:

This is gonna be an interesting conversation!