Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
This is a stupid question I know, but I have googled with no luck. Is it safe to use apps like facebook, tweetie, or sites like gmail from my ipod touch at public wifi hotspots? We are staying at a place with free wifi, you just have to go into safari and accept their terms and conditions to access the web. I’ve been scared to go to any sites where I have to put in passwords or personal information. Is it safe? Does the VPN feature provide any protection or is that for something else?

Thanks.

0sync0

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
Your information is not safe with public wifi.

VPN is safe. But VPN is not just a feature that you turn on. You have to connect to a server where VPN has already been set up for you.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Your information is not safe with public wifi.

But if you are, for example, sending password or credit card data to a secure (https) website, I would assume it's encrypted on your end and decrypted on the other end so it should still be safe? Obviously other data (for example passwords for email apps) wouldn't be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.