Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Here's a rough first pass of a logo for my freelance work. Not 100% sure what I think about it, but it was the first thing that popped into my head. Any comments are appreciated. Fire away.

Attachments

• sw_logo.jpg
    sw_logo.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 92
  • sw_logo2.jpg
    sw_logo2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 72

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
I quite like the 'sketch' bit but for me the werk bit is getting a bit old and cliché so I would spell it correctly (assuming you're not based in somewhere like germany :D) although it appears you've nabbed the web address already :eek:

The way it is on your site seems to work quite well but I'll be honest although I like the idea that carbon weave was doing my eyes in after a few seconds, maybe darkening it a little would help?

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Are the T & C supposed to look like a Christian Cross and an Islamic Crescent?

No! I realized the "T" was a little like the cross while I was doing it, but I thought it was okay because there wasn't anything else remotely religious about it. The "C" being like the Islamic Crescent, though, gives me pause. I'll need to work on that because I definitely don't want to invoke either religion. Good catch and thanks for the tip.

I quite like the 'sketch' bit but for me the werk bit is getting a bit old and cliché so I would spell it correctly (assuming you're not based in somewhere like germany :D) although it appears you've nabbed the web address already :eek:

Yeah. I went with "werk" because is sounds like "work" but can also mean "creation" or "factory" in German. I liked the duality there.

I did a study abroad in Germany when I was in college and have had a great appreciation for the place ever since, so I'm probably a little biased that way.

The way it is on your site seems to work quite well but I'll be honest although I like the idea that carbon weave was doing my eyes in after a few seconds, maybe darkening it a little would help?

The weave on the website is temporary. I'll probably keep it as the background, but the main content of the site will be layered on top of it, in a lighter color. That part's still up in the air.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You never know what you'll accidentally invoke these days. ;)

For the "SKETCH" part also, it might end up looking better if you used a calligraphy type of tool in your drawing program (particularly if you have a tablet) to give the sketch lines more body.

I do also, FWIW, think the "werk" has a very early 90s feel to it, but on the plus side, I note that there are only 110 hits with Google for "sketchwerk" and your website appears to be the first of them, which is a big plus.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I like the logo, but I'd invert it. That is, make the 'sketch' look all industrial, and the 'werk' look like a sketch.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I'm not sure there's any duality. 'Work' means the same things, no?

If it was "sketchworks" it would have a similar meaning, yes, but I didn't want to use "works."

It may be a little cliché, but for me using "werk" makes it mine, and does have a dual meaning that using the singular "work" would not.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
So I've drawn up a few alternate versions based on some of the replies. I think I still like the original, but I'm also leery of the cross/crescent thing mkrishnan brought up. It doesn't jump out at me but I also really, really don't want either of those symbols connected with this logo.

I think I also prefer the thinner "sketch" to the bolder one, but obviously it needs to be legible in all mediums.

Attachments

• sw_logo7.jpg
    sw_logo7.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 70
  • sw_logo4.jpg
    sw_logo4.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 61
  • sw_logo5.jpg
    sw_logo5.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 63

DuFFy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
Phila
If i would say anything, i think you have to consider playing with the spacing between the letters, its very uniform, try combining some letters, play with scale or something. the sketch letters arent as heavy as the industrial-like letters which makes it feel off, maybe if the sketchy letters were larger or something. it seems very neat in some aspects for "sketchwerk".

but it is nice :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.