PDA

View Full Version : New iBook ram amount... 768MB or 1.25GB

iBunny
Apr 22, 2004, 06:30 PM
I wish i could get 1GB and be happy with it but I cant. Either 768MB or 1.25GB.
Everyone told me if i get an iBook max out the ram. Well the 1GB SoDimm is like 600$. But is it worth it?

Thanks.

gekko513
Apr 22, 2004, 07:27 PM
I wish i could get 1GB and be happy with it but I cant. Either 768MB or 1.25GB.
Everyone told me if i get an iBook max out the ram. Well the 1GB SoDimm is like 600$. But is it worth it?

Thanks.
I have 768MB RAM and it's plenty for my use. I use my 12" PowerBook 1GHz (should be similar to your new iBook in many ways) for web-surfing, mail, programming and sometimes garageband, photo editing, video editing and games.

zach
Apr 22, 2004, 07:46 PM

To be honest, no. Apple price gouges on their RAM to a degree never before seen.

Buy your iBook with only the preinstalled 256 MB, and order a 1 GB SODIMM from Crucial. Instead of $600, it's $425. Big huge difference. And if you're feeling even more frugal, get the 512 MB module from Crucial instead. Instead of $200, it's $112.

To recap: 1 GB module = $175 savings from Crucial.
512 module = $88 bucks.

Hope that helps.. :D

Macmaniac
Apr 22, 2004, 08:17 PM
Use the extra $125 u save by buying from crucial to buy an iPod mini, your only half way there ;) Having a gig of RAM can be great for handling huge files like huge iMovie projects, iMovie, and of course photoshop.

Abstract
Apr 22, 2004, 11:34 PM
When people were telling me to "max out on RAM" when I got my PB 6 months ago, I was also looking at getting an iBook, and the max amount of RAM available on Crucial was 512 MB. A 512MB stick would bring the RAM to 640MB, which was supposed to be good for an iBook. I normally give the "max out your RAM" advice alot as well, but sometimes I fail to realize that 1GB RAM sticks are out now at semi-reasonable prices, and 512MB is just typical stuff now. What most people will mean when they tell you to max out on RAM is to get the 512MB stick so that you have 768 MB. Don't go nuts and spend half the value of your system on RAM, especially since most iBook owners get an iBook because it is "good value", and because they're not going to be seriously mucking around with RAM-hungry PS features.

768MB is plenty. I have a total of 512MB, and I think my 1GHz G4 PB runs quite well, although I would recommend the 512MB to anybody right now

stevietheb
Apr 23, 2004, 07:53 AM
I purchased an iBook back in January, when 640MB was the max (though, I've heard that a 1gb stick will function in these iBooks...though not technically supported). Thus far, I've found that it is plenty. A typical day for me involves, mail, web, ichat, itunes, word, excel, and watson all running at the same time. When I use photoshop or final cut, I typically close as many programs as possible. No troubles so far.

Personally, I think it's crazy to spend $400-600 on a 1GB stick when I spent $900 (base price with edu discount) or something like that on the entire laptop...$100 from Crucial for the 512MB was a much better buy, I think.

QCassidy352
Apr 23, 2004, 11:57 AM
get the 512, not the 1 gig stick... prices are down, but still not really reasonable. Unless you are using some heavy apps, 768 will be great (it's what i have in my 1 Ghz 12" PB). And if you are using really demanding apps, you probably should go with a powerbook instead of a 1 Ghz ibook.