Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

profamericain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Hi guys, I have the 16 gig ipod nano and I only have music on it. I am learning chinese and would like to add the language cds I listen to at home to my itunes and ipod. Obviously that is not a problem. The problem is this: When I play the ipod in shuffle mode I do not want to have the songs interrupted by chinese dialogue files. So I am wondering if there is some way to upload these language cds to my ipod so that they are NOT played when ipod is in shuffle mode? Maybe I can somehow change the designation itunes gave these cds from music to ebook?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Herodotis

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Audiobook

Import the cd's as audiobooks. Google it, there are lots of tutorials on how to do this.

Cheers

stevod

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2009
London
Or if you didn't want to reimport, could you do it with genres? Then create a dynamic playlist excluding the chosen genre, e.g. 'Languages'.

S

profamericain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks! Changing the designation to audiobook did the trick. One strange note. Even though itunes recognized different chapters from different books, my ipod did not. Possibly because the books had similar titles - chinese reader 1, chinese reader 2. So chapter 1 book 1 was followed by chapter 1 book 2, etc. This required I go back into itunes and artificially renumber all chapters in the second book so that they followed from the last chapter in the first. Thus chapter 1 in book 2 became chapter 101

Herodotis

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Glad it worked.
I had the same problem with my iPod having a hard time ordering language tracks. I put them in a playlist in the right order and they then worked.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.