PDA

View Full Version : iTunes - Can it import mp3's?

Invizzible
Apr 22, 2004, 10:03 PM
I have lots of old albums copied to mp3's that I want to import into iTunes, but it won't do it. Every time I try, it shows the mp3's grey'ed out, as if it doesn't recognize (or at least import) them. Am I doing something wrong? I understand that an iPod won't play any songs unless they are loaded to it from iTunes, so if iTunes won't import my mp3's then I'd never be able to listen to the on an iPod. This would definitely prevent me from buying one.

ftaok
Apr 22, 2004, 10:12 PM
I have lots of old albums copied to mp3's that I want to import into iTunes, but it won't do it. Every time I try, it shows the mp3's grey'ed out, as if it doesn't recognize (or at least import) them. Am I doing something wrong? I understand that an iPod won't play any songs unless they are loaded to it from iTunes, so if iTunes won't import my mp3's then I'd never be able to listen to the on an iPod. This would definitely prevent me from buying one.You shouldn't have to import them. Just drag the mp3 files you want into the iTunes library. That should do it.

Horrortaxi
Apr 22, 2004, 11:05 PM
I have no idea how you're trying to do it, but pretty much the whole point of iTunes is to catalog and play mp3s--so yeah, it can do it.

Like the previous poster said, drag your music into the iTunes library and that ought to do it.

GHM
Apr 22, 2004, 11:11 PM
If I remember correctly you can even ask iTunes to scan your drive to find all your MP3s and catalog them into the library.

Graham

PlaceofDis
Apr 22, 2004, 11:19 PM
if you have all of your mp3s in one big folder and nothing in you library the easiest way to add them all is to click file...add to library...and then select the folder that has all of your mp3s, if this doesnt work or what has been posted already fails im not sure, i think we would need more info then....good luck

Invizzible
Apr 22, 2004, 11:57 PM
Silly me, I thought the way to import mp3's was to click on "File" in the menu bar and then "Import". Turns out it doesn't work that way.

Thanks everyone, all of your suggestions worked.

Westside guy
Apr 23, 2004, 12:04 AM
Silly me, I thought the way to import mp3's was to click on "File" in the menu bar and then "Import". Turns out it doesn't work that way.

Okay, what does "import" do then? :confused:

GHM
Apr 23, 2004, 12:31 AM
Working from memory here (coz I'm at work on my Windows machine) but I think Import allows you to select a folder/directory that it will scan for music files. You then select if you want them moved to your iTunes directory or indexed to where they are.

Graham

Invizzible
Apr 23, 2004, 12:36 AM
On a related note, does anyone know if an iPod counts as a computer in the 3-computer limit that is placed on iTunes-bought songs? My friend who owns an iPod didn't know, and I looked in his manual and didn't find anything about it there.

Edot
Apr 23, 2004, 12:47 AM
On a related note, does anyone know if an iPod counts as a computer in the 3-computer limit that is placed on iTunes-bought songs? My friend who owns an iPod didn't know, and I looked in his manual and didn't find anything about it there.

No, it is unlimited iPods, and 3 computers. The iPod is not considered a computer. You have to authorize each computer, and de-authorize if you want to disable its ability to play purchased songs. You can find it all here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/

In the 3rd paragraph.

Enjoy!

MacAficionado
Apr 23, 2004, 01:22 AM
Okay, what does "import" do then? :confused:

Import in iTunes means encoding your CD or other formats, into whatever format you have selected in the "Importing" section of iTunes preferences. Meaning importing to AAC, AIFF, MP3 or WAV. :o

Nny
Apr 23, 2004, 07:32 AM
Import in iTunes means encoding your CD or other formats, into whatever format you have selected in the "Importing" section of iTunes preferences. Meaning importing to AAC, AIFF, MP3 or WAV. :o

Yes, but that's not what the original poster was talking about, I think. If the original poster was clicking on File--> Import then the problem was they were trying to select individual MP3s. You can only select a folder, not an individual file. iTunes will then import all MP3s in that folder (and subfolders).

Apr 23, 2004, 08:24 AM
No.

The import function is only to import the xml files that iTunes makes of it's library. It doesn't import mp3's.

Horrortaxi
Apr 23, 2004, 08:59 AM
No.

The import function is only to import the xml files that iTunes makes of it's library. It doesn't import mp3's.
When you import, the mp3 is pysically copied into the iTunes music folder. It is also added to the xml database so that you can see it in the iTunes library.

Nermal
Apr 24, 2004, 07:19 AM
OK, let's clear this up.

Choosing Import from the File menu allows you to import an iTunes XML file, containing information about your library. This function is not for importing MP3s or AACs or encoding audio CDs or anything like that.

Clicking Import on the toolbar reads in an audio CD and converts it to the format you have selected (MP3, AAC, etc).

Selecting Add to Library from the File menu allows you to select an MP3/AAC and copy it into your iTunes library.

Does everyone understand now? :)

UncleCrust
Feb 11, 2008, 03:56 PM
if you have all of your mp3s in one big folder and nothing in you library the easiest way to add them all is to click file...add to library...and then select the folder that has all of your mp3s, if this doesnt work or what has been posted already fails im not sure, i think we would need more info then....good luck

Sigh. I've tried every which way from Sunday to try to get mp3s off my CD into my iTunes library on my hard drive. One disk did get copied/added. I thot I had used File -> Add Folder to Library... but when I tried that route on another disk it just pointed to the mp3s on the disk, that is, did not copy them to the hard drive and reference them from there.

When I put in a music CD (bought in a store), iTunes automatically asks if I want to import the disk to the library. If I say yes, it copies the songs from the disk into my iTunes folder on my hard drive. But, if I put in a burnt CD and ask iTunes to import the files to the library, it simply points to the disk instead of physically copying them to the hard drive first.

Dragging and dropping does not work either, that is, the songs get added to the library but are being referenced on the disk not copied onto the hard drive and referenced from there.

SO FRUSTRATED!

killmoms
Feb 11, 2008, 04:00 PM
Sigh. I've tried every which way from Sunday to try to get mp3s off my CD into my iTunes library on my hard drive. One disk did get copied/added. I thot I had used File -> Add Folder to Library... but when I tried that route on another disk it just pointed to the mp3s on the disk, that is, did not copy them to the hard drive and reference them from there.

When I put in a music CD (bought in a store), iTunes automatically asks if I want to import the disk to the library. If I say yes, it copies the songs from the disk into my iTunes folder on my hard drive. But, if I put in a burnt CD and ask iTunes to import the files to the library, it simply points to the disk instead of physically copying them to the hard drive first.

Dragging and dropping does not work either, that is, the songs get added to the library but are being referenced on the disk not copied onto the hard drive and referenced from there.

SO FRUSTRATED!

That's because you have the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" option unchecked in iTunes' Advanced preferences. If you drag in files/folders or use Add to Library with this option checked, it will copy the files in question to your iTunes Music folder.

When you're importing (aka ripping) off an audio CD though, the files automatically go into your iTunes Music folder since they're actually being created.

CanadaRAM
Feb 11, 2008, 04:03 PM
Congratulations, Uncle on perhaps the longest stretch back to resurrect an old thread -- almost 4 years ! :eek:

UncleCrust
Feb 12, 2008, 02:55 PM
Congratulations, Uncle on perhaps the longest stretch back to resurrect an old thread -- almost 4 years ! :eek:

:^D No worries. Glad to be ... delayed.

UncleCrust
Feb 12, 2008, 03:07 PM
That's because you have the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" option unchecked in iTunes' Advanced preferences. If you drag in files/folders or use Add to Library with this option checked, it will copy the files in question to your iTunes Music folder.

When you're importing (aka ripping) off an audio CD though, the files automatically go into your iTunes Music folder since they're actually being created.

My internal gratitude, Seņor Kllmoms! That worked.

killmoms
Feb 12, 2008, 03:09 PM
Holy crap. I didn't even notice this was an episode of 4-year necromancy. What a riot. :D