Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Here's a funky issue:
Twice, my iBook's backlight spontaneously turned itself off while I was using it. The computer would keep running and the image on the screen was still faintly visible, but the backlight would turn itself off. The backlight wouldn't turn back on unless I put it to sleep and woke it. It's not the hinge, because moving the screen to a different angle didn'd do anything. The video is not scrambled, either. Is it yet another logic board failure? Another hardware problem? Software?

I have a 900 MHz iBook G3, 12" screen, combo drive.

Thanks in advance.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Oops, it did it again! Three more times, actually. I am at a loss. It seems to cut out for any reason.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
ditto...

My G3 12" iB is doing to same as well. It is very random when it occurs, but I have to shut the computer off do get the screen to go back on. Maybe it is a loose solder or something. Wear and tear? Hopefully someone can hook us up with answers.

Cheers,
_bnkr612

NuPowerbook

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2004
This sounds like it may be a problem with the logic board. I would call Apple up, and ask them/schedule a repair.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
NuPowerbook said:
This sounds like it may be a problem with the logic board. I would call Apple up, and ask them/schedule a repair.
Don't say that! I'm on my 3rd logic board right now! :mad:

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
The guy at the Apple Store said that it may be the sleep regulator (or whatever it's called). It'll be going in for service sometime next week, and will have the blown right speaker repaired/replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.