Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Curious if the MBA rev. b has the same hinge design as the MBA rev. a's hinge.

If they have the same hinge then the rev. b is susceptible to future hinge damage.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
I do not see why people are saying that their hinges broke without any force or mishandle!

Anything would break, but it all depends on how you handle it. The MBA wasn't built to be handled like a Dell or a Toshiba were they build them like BRICKS!

;)

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
I do not see why people are saying that their hinges broke without any force or mishandle!

Anything would break, but it all depends on how you handle it. The MBA wasn't built to be handled like a Dell or a Toshiba were they build them like BRICKS!

;)

Yeah yeah... a totally useless post and I really think you don't know what you talking about.

For the record. I use and treat my baba (MBA) as it is my own kid, and most people would find me insane how overly careful I am with my stuff. So for the record, for over a half year I just very softly and gentle open my LCD-lid, never further then 50 degrees. And very gentle softly close it. That approx. 2 times a day.

Then all of the sudden the screen gets looser and looser. till it feels very fragile and then SNAP!

The mechanism works like a "lever" and sooner or later break itself out due a DESIGN ERROR!

Disgusting how some people try to pretend it is all the fault of the careless user... simply because Apple is perfect..! My ass. Assumptions from the sideline based on nothing.

With best regards,
Bas

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I don't think it is a design flaw.
My wife treats her Rev A MBA very carelessly -- it makes me wince and I can't watch her do it. and the hinge on hers it fine. It's over a year old now.

So I'd guess the problem is more of a manufacturing problem (or a user problem--I don't necessarily believe everyone who claims they baby their computers).

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
I don't think it is a design flaw.
My wife treats her Rev A MBA very carelessly -- it makes me wince and I can't watch her do it. and the hinge on hers it fine. It's over a year old now.

So I'd guess the problem is more of a manufacturing problem (or a user problem--I don't necessarily believe everyone who claims they baby their computers).

Fine then don't believe me. We talk later again, if your wives screen finally break and you freak out because apple blame her that it is a "user fault" and don't cover it by warranty.

With best regards,
Bas

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Bas,

I didn't say that you treat your MBA like ****. I just said that I guess it is NOT a design flow since I have had several MBAs.

I am sorry for your loss, and I am sure that you should be able to convince Apple somehow that you didn't mistreat your baby since it would show some wear and tear to happen if they are blaming you.

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
sounds like the same issue that the tibooks have. Hinge broke within a couple of years - applecare very useful in that case since it requires a new screen.

Shame they don't appear to have learn't.

Cheers Ed.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
sounds like the same issue that the tibooks have. Hinge broke within a couple of years - applecare very useful in that case since it requires a new screen.

Shame they don't appear to have learn't.

Cheers Ed.
Can't let this one go sorry....I know TiBooks have a reputation for guaranteed hinge failure but I've had two Mercurys from new and both survived with 'hingum intacta' (one blew a logic board but the other is still going strong, happily acting the matriarch, all snooty and superior to her 'oh so much cheaper darling' aluminium stablemates).

And anyway, even when it does happen, hinge failure on a TiBook does NOT require a new screen - just a new hinge assembly, part of which does extend however into the frame of the display unit (itself a monumental pain in the arse to open and fit them hence why an entire new screen was often recommended).

One thing though, Apple definitely learnt from its TiBook hinge design, and the Alu PBs (and later MBPs) were much much better. I simply refuse to believe that when engineering the latest unibody form factor such as the MBA, they just reverted back and repeated their past mistake. If there is any issue it's with QC not design. Personally I think there's a strong user factor involved as much as those with the issue protest otherwise.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
Personally I think there's a strong user factor involved as much as those with the issue protest otherwise.

Yeah, right, must be the user, can't possibly be Apple. I baby my MBA as well but the hinge is still loosening, never had this problem with my MB and MBP.

Read up on the scroll ball problem on the wireless Mighty Mouse - tons of people including myself have commented how crappy it is - must be user factor right? :rolleyes:

jlbrown23

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
Spare Us

Bas,

I didn't say that you treat your MBA like ****. I just said that I guess it is NOT a design flow since I have had several MBAs.

I am sorry for your loss, and I am sure that you should be able to convince Apple somehow that you didn't mistreat your baby since it would show some wear and tear to happen if they are blaming you.

Stop acting like a self-righteous jerk. I also babied my Air, and DARED the "Genius" to find one scratch, ding or smudge on my computer(he couldn't). Just because you got lucky with the Airs you have doesn't mean anything. If this is not a real issue, why is it happening to so many people? Yeah, I am sure some of them are careless, but some of them are NOT. If the computer looks like it could have just come out of the box and the hinges are broken, unless you have EVIDENCE that the consumer was at fault you OWE them a refund or repair. Look for Apple to own up after the lawsuits start getting filed.

And I wouldn't even be SO irritated if they just gave a REASONABLE repair option. But $800 for ONE HINGE? I could buy a refurb for another $200.They act like they have to replace the whole upper assembly, but that is a lie. Look at any of the teardowns - the hinges come off just fine when you pry the bezel lose and undo 4 torq screws. Why is Apple trying to make me buy an entire $800 lid/LED assembly when the one I have works fine and all I need is a lousy hinge? It's like having to buy a new engine when you have to replace the spark plugs.

Coming to a forum where people are trying to resolve an issue that YOU DON'T HAVE(so by definition are uninformed on) and BLAMING THEM for it is just rotten behavior. Is Apple paying you? Or are you just the kind of person that likes rubbing peoples faces in it when they are down?

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Stop acting like a self-righteous jerk.

First of all, only JERKS are allowed to call others jerks, so suit yourself.

I didn't blame anyone but even if you baby your MBA but yet keep opening it with one hand from one of the corners, that would place an unbalanced force on the hinge and break it within weeks.

The MBA wasn't built to be a toughbook and I am NOT defending Apple since I already said that "at least they should fix it for FREE for those who have MINT machines". As for the ridiculous repair cost, that is the same with all Macs. If you wanted a cheap repair, then you should have gotten a PC. It is like buying a fancy car and then iffing the company for the high cost repairs as if you didn't already know about that before buying the car or the laptop in this case.

If you check my posts history, I might end up dissing Apple more than praising them on these forums since this is the main reason why these forums exist (bitchin about issues) besides discussing rumors.

Next time you want to call someone a jerk in these forums for NOT agreeing with your view, take a look at the mirror first!

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
First of all, only JERKS are allowed to call others jerks, so suit yourself.

I didn't blame anyone but even if you baby your MBA but yet keep opening it with one hand from one of the corners, that would place an unbalanced force on the hinge and break it within weeks.

The MBA wasn't built to be a toughbook and I am NOT defending Apple since I already said that "at least they should fix it for FREE for those who have MINT machines". As for the ridiculous repair cost, that is the same with all Macs. If you wanted a cheap repair, then you should have gotten a PC. It is like buying a fancy car and then iffing the company for the high cost repairs as if you didn't already know about that before buying the car or the laptop in this case.

If you check my posts history, I might end up dissing Apple more than praising them on these forums since this is the main reason why these forums exist (bitchin about issues) besides discussing rumors.

Next time you want to call someone a jerk in these forums for NOT agreeing with your view, take a look at the mirror first!

Dear mhnajjar,

He said you "act" like a jerk. I am sure he don't find you a jerk. :D

Myself.. I am a Jerk but I would never call you a jerk :D

Back to the Topic.

A macbook air is just like any other laptop a "usable" product. So even if you baby it less then we do, It should be able to handle the daily wear and tear. It is a laptop after all and not a jewelry.

And I am sorry mhnajjar, but this is truly a design mistake in the "C" shaped bearings that hold the hinges. It is not a matter "if", but a matter when it will gives trouble.

You can't blame people get mad if they took good care of their product and it breaks, and then someone on a forum claims that it is out own fault. You don't make friends with such a post ;) :D

With best regards,
Bas

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Dear mhnajjar,

He said you "act" like a jerk. I am sure he don't find you a jerk. :D

Myself.. I am a Jerk but I would never call you a jerk :D

Back to the Topic.

A macbook air is just like any other laptop a "usable" product. So even if you baby it less then we do, It should be able to handle the daily wear and tear. It is a laptop after all and not a jewelry.

And I am sorry mhnajjar, but this is truly a design mistake in the "C" shaped bearings that hold the hinges. It is not a matter "if", but a matter when it will gives trouble.

You can't blame people get mad if they took good care of their product and it breaks, and then someone on a forum claims that it is out own fault. You don't make friends with such a post ;) :D

With best regards,
Bas

Thanks for your post, and I do not think that you are a jerk :D

As for the hinge, I hope that it doesn't break on me because I would hate Apple for that :D.

I still don't see a point for Apple to refuse fixing this issue on MINT condition machines. At least they can blame the user if the machine was damaged, but why are they rejecting your machines? Did they give any valid reasoning?

I am sorry if I got out of line on my previous post :)

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Yeah, right, must be the user, can't possibly be Apple. I baby my MBA as well but the hinge is still loosening, never had this problem with my MB and MBP.

Read up on the scroll ball problem on the wireless Mighty Mouse - tons of people including myself have commented how crappy it is - must be user factor right? :rolleyes:
Well I don't doubt there's unlucky ultra-careful owners like yourself with this issue, but I've seen colleagues cite the same even whilst yanking their MBAs open from the right-hand corner :eek:

I also made the point I'm convinced it's a QC problem (like the screen line issue) as opposed to a design problem as much as people cite the C-shaped bracket, as otherwise we'd see hinge failure at an almost unprecedented level. Clearly that is not the case. Nothing is designed to fail as such, but can be more prone to it especially if compounded by otherwise less than optimal build QC.

Rondue

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
PA
I know a Mac genius and that person told me that the air doesnt have a hinge problem its people pushing the screen back too far. Ive had a Rev a. for about a year and ive since had it replaced with the Rev b and have not had any issues with the screen hinge.

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
I know a Mac genius and that person told me that the air doesnt have a hinge problem its people pushing the screen back too far. Ive had a Rev a. for about a year and ive since had it replaced with the Rev b and have not had any issues with the screen hinge.

"Too far" - that's fairly subjective, is 90 degrees too far? 100? 10?.

Isn't as far as it goes be acceptable. If there is a "too far" point then the design should be such that it can't get that far.

IMHO there is no excuse for mechanical failures due to normal use, and normal includes opening the screen as far as the design allows it to be opened.

Cheers, Ed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.