PDA

View Full Version : Can I mount an iPod on a non-Firewire Mac?

bondipete
Apr 22, 2004, 10:48 PM
This is why:
I have an iPod and 17" iMac. No problems there. But at my parents house they have my 1st release Bondi iMac. OS 9.2. And only USB. And USB 1.0 at that.

Thus the question: If I had an iPod-USB cable, could I mount my iPod on the Bondi? Not for massive data transfer (that would be slow), but for taking work home etc.

Has anyone tried this? I'm trying to find out before shelling out for the cable. Apple don't advertise it but, personally, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

tdhurst
Apr 22, 2004, 11:02 PM
You're better off getting a usb thumb drive.

bondipete
Apr 23, 2004, 02:55 AM
You're better off getting a usb thumb drive.

Maybe. They are a lot cheaper than they used to be. But I am trying my best to minimise the number of things I carry with me. Phone, keys, wallet, iPod - that's about enough for now. Do we know if it is at least possible?

IndyGopher
Apr 23, 2004, 03:42 AM
Maybe. They are a lot cheaper than they used to be. But I am trying my best to minimise the number of things I carry with me. Phone, keys, wallet, iPod - that's about enough for now. Do we know if it is at least possible?
Assuming you have one of the later iPods with a dock connector, then yes, you can mount it via USB as a hard drive. I have not tried to use one with iTunes in that fashion, but I have mounted one as a hard drive on a Beige G3 that had a USB card but no Firewire. The intention was for data transfer, but it was so slow I just pulled the drive out of the G3 and threw it in the G4 (the target) and copied it that way.