Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HazRutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
England
I don't know what the American equivalent is, but here is the deal:

I have a 20" 2.66ghz iMac and a throwaway cheap laptop pc (which is now broken so I can't really move it..

I will be starting my A levels in 6th form in September and I think a laptop would help with my studies, to take in to classes, for example.

So, i'm thinking about getting either a MB or a MBA to take in with me, what would you recommend, money would be quite tight...

Also, has anyone used the apple pay per month service and can shed any light on it?

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
I bought an iMac at the beginning of sixth form, but more recently, about half way through my second year, I got a MacBook which is alot more useful for school. Depends what your taking. I'm doing music tech, so a MBA wouldn't be powerful enough for me.

HazRutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
England
Oh yeah, i forgot to say what im (hopefully) doing..

1) Maths - Mechanics
2) Economics
3) Physics
4) Biology

+

Japanese (not a full A level)

Spares

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009
Go with the macbook, i carry mine to and from school everyday and its perfect size and weight, plus its more power for your dollar.

genmic

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
I don't know what the American equivalent is, but here is the deal:

I have a 20" 2.66ghz iMac and a throwaway cheap laptop pc (which is now broken so I can't really move it..

I will be starting my A levels in 6th form in September and I think a laptop would help with my studies, to take in to classes, for example.

So, i'm thinking about getting either a MB or a MBA to take in with me, what would you recommend, money would be quite tight...

Also, has anyone used the apple pay per month service and can shed any light on it?

Apple doesn't offer any "pay per month service," but Juniper (division of Barclays Delaware) does offer an iTunes visa with promotional mac financing. The deal they have right now (1 year no interest) is decent as long as you PIF by the end of the year, but the card is sub-prime and really not worth having. If you need financing, you are much better off with a prime bank card, (Chase/BoA/Discover/Amex) or SL.

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Apple doesn't offer any "pay per month service," but Juniper (division of Barclays Delaware) does offer an iTunes visa with promotional mac financing. The deal they have right now (1 year no interest) is decent as long as you PIF by the end of the year, but the card is sub-prime and really not worth having. If you need financing, you are much better off with a prime bank card, (Chase/BoA/Discover/Amex) or SL.

http://www.apple.com/uk/financing/consumer/

HazRutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
England
Maybe its not available in the US, but the guy above was talking about what I meant..

There is also the possiblity of getting a netbook or a cheap laptop PC?

I would use it for internet surfing, word proccessing, and other stuff, it doesnt have to just be for school :D

Apple all life

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Ny
macbook air is good for that stuff, but it seems you also want more. I say macbook 2.4 ghz, you have a bigger hard-drive + more than the air. Macbook won"t disappoint.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
If money is tight then the Macbook Air is probably out the window before we even start.

The Macbook is perfect for a student, I've been using it throughout 5th year at home for school work, and I'm planning on using it both in school and at home for my 6th year (Scottish equivalent-ish of Sixth Form).

I've got the 2.4GHz machine but if money's tight then the 2.0GHz machine will be fine too.

HazRutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
England
I only included the MBA because in the UK refurb store they are roughly the same price..

I also have an iMac that I will use mostly, as I mentioned above.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
I only included the MBA because in the UK refurb store they are roughly the same price..

I also have an iMac that I will use mostly, as I mentioned above.

I'd go for the Macbook in that case, because you never know when you might fancy a bit of extra CPU power or a DVD drive when you're on the go.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
macbook air is good for that stuff, but it seems you also want more. I say macbook 2.4 ghz, you have a bigger hard-drive + more than the air. Macbook won"t disappoint.

I think the Macbook 2.0Ghz is adequate, just get a bigger hard drive. Not from Apple though, their prices are extortionate. You'll be very happy with the Macbook :) Believe me. You don't sound like you'll be doing processor heavy tasks anyway, at least not often.

Mintin8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2009
United Kingdom
Get the Macbook 2.4GHz. I think you'll miss the illuminated keyboard when working in dark places. You should upgrade the RAM from 3rd party companies. Don't get the macbook air. A student needs a lot of ports etc and you'll never know when you could do with that superdrive. (I'm 15).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.