PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard

asllas
Apr 19, 2009, 06:24 AM
Hey:
I want to buy a Mac Pro 8 core nehalem, and I really want to get the Snow Leopard "when it comes out". Do anyone know When?
Do you think I should wait to buy a new mac pro until then?
Im very new mac user and dont know the "Apples Work System"? do they use to lower the price after a while? how long? will it be lower when snow leopard is out?

Thank you

Lars

Pika
Apr 19, 2009, 06:27 AM
Are you gonna wait till October 2009?

MacAndy74
Apr 19, 2009, 06:27 AM
Only judging from what I read, it seems Snow Leopard will be out between July and October. But really, only Apple knows what date they're shooting for and that's dependent on the progress of development. :o

Pika
Apr 19, 2009, 06:30 AM
Do they use to lower the price after a while? how long? will it be lower when snow leopard is out?

Thank you

LarsNot till there's a speed bump.

grue
Apr 19, 2009, 07:32 AM
Only judging from what I read, it seems Snow Leopard will be out between July and October. But really, only Apple knows what date they're shooting for and that's dependent on the progress of development. :o

Unready products haven't stopped Apple from releasing before, why change? :D

cmcbridejr
Apr 19, 2009, 07:52 AM
Just curious... What will you be using the Mac Pro for?

J&JPolangin
Apr 19, 2009, 07:55 AM
...and they don't lower the prices by much, your best bet is in the refurb store for ~15% discount...

asllas
Apr 19, 2009, 07:58 AM
I will use it for music production. I use Softwares like protools, nuendo, and cubase and a lot of plugins.

If I buy mp 8 core now, can I simply upgrade to Snow leopard later with buying it? Will the mac pro work as well as if I buy the mac when the snow leopard i out.
I mean will the Hardware be changed for better effect? Or will the mac pro be the same all the way until the new mac pro comes out?

Dr.Pants
Apr 19, 2009, 09:03 AM
Well, there's a lot of speculation on what the next generation of MacPros will have as compared to this generation already, but by the time Snow Leopard ships (IF it is later this year) I wouldn't be surprised if the hardware configurations were still the same. However, you may have to wait for some of your programs to be compatible not only with Snow Leopard, but with Nehalem as well.. There were some music program incompatabilities with the hardware. Search around the forum for the specific ones, I do know that ProTools wasn't running as good as it should on the platform.

Cynicalone
Apr 19, 2009, 10:13 AM
Well I went ahead with my purchase of a new Mac Pro. I figure even if Snow Leopard comes out it can only get better (maybe worse in the short term). I do wonder how Snow Leopard will improve multi-core performance. But in the end I need the machine now so I bought it. If you can wait till the fall to see what Snow Leopard does then by all means wait.