PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Printing through Windows Shared Printer/s

joseph_68
Apr 23, 2004, 12:12 AM
Hello,

I am having trouble printing through a Windows shared print server at work (XP). I am running OS X 10.3.3, and have added both an HP laser and Canon i850 printer to my PowerBook through the network. When I print to either printer the job goes through, but all I get is a blank page. Anyone have a suggestion? Is this a Windoze issue or do I need to add some Mac printer drivers specific for each printer to my machine to pull this off?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

Dippo
Apr 23, 2004, 03:56 AM
I had the same problem but I was trying to print off Linux through a Windows networked printer.

I finally just gave up, and I never did figure out what the problem was...

Westside guy
Apr 23, 2004, 01:48 PM
I am having trouble printing through a Windows shared print server at work (XP). I am running OS X 10.3.3, and have added both an HP laser and Canon i850 printer to my PowerBook through the network. When I print to either printer the job goes through, but all I get is a blank page. Anyone have a suggestion? Is this a Windoze issue or do I need to add some Mac printer drivers specific for each printer to my machine to pull this off?

I had this problem with my Canon i550, and it was because Canon's Mac driver is local-only; that is, it won't work for a networked printer. I'd guess the i850 driver is the same way.

There is a for-cost driver from Turboprint that works well with the Canon.

Which HP Laser is it? I print to a JetDirect HP LaserJet 4050N without issues, just using it as an Internet Protocol Printer (IPP).

MisterMe
Apr 23, 2004, 06:31 PM
Hello,

Thanks! :rolleyes:You have to install the proper drivers. IIRC, you can only print to a non-USB printer using PostScript. CUPS/GIMP-print drivers should do the trick for you.

joseph_68
Apr 24, 2004, 12:45 AM
You have to install the proper drivers. IIRC, you can only print to a non-USB printer using PostScript. CUPS/GIMP-print drivers should do the trick for you.

So I actually need to print to USB printers that are shared through a Windows XP machine on the network. Does that mean that I need to install the drivers locally on my PowerBook first, rather than using the "generic" drivers provided by Panter?

Thanks!

MisterMe
Apr 24, 2004, 08:18 AM
So I actually need to print to USB printers that are shared through a Windows XP machine on the network. Does that mean that I need to install the drivers locally on my PowerBook first, rather than using the "generic" drivers provided by Panter?

Thanks!If your USB printer is connected directly to your Mac, then it is a USB printer. You can use the USB driver supplied by Apple or the vendor. If your USB printer connected directly to a Wintel computer, then it is a network printer as far as your Mac is concerned. You will need a CUPS/GIMP-print driver.