Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
Okay so sorta new to all this, i have ordered my canon xs, and a crumpler 3 million dollar home bag for 25 bucks.... but i am looking into what i also need to order...

should i order:
new 8 gig card (or 2- 4 gig cards)
extra battery
UV filter... (from where? and not expensive..)

any thing else??? and do i really even need any of those?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The "Nifty Fifty" (Canon 50mm f/1.8) is an excellent value for the $90. If you can reach to $240, then consider the Canon 35mm f/2. Until you have a fast prime lens, you won't know what you're missing. Being able to shoot with shallow depth of field can be a whole lot of fun.

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
i need to order a uv lense or something first... i am going to order a new lense soon, but i am waiting till i know a lottt more with using the camera the right way.

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
I am by now means an expert but I have since bought 55-250mm and 50mm lenses. I have been having fun the kit lens and those two other lenses. I ordered a bag, screen protector, and a couple lens hoods.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
i need to order a uv lense or something first... i am going to order a new lense soon, but i am waiting till i know a lottt more with using the camera the right way.

Don't waste you money on UV filters, unless you use your camera in a very dusty area, water splashes, etc. A lens hood would be nicer, specially if it comes with the lens.

A CPL is also nice for landscapes shots where there is water reflecting light, blue sky, and white clouds. But if you buy a CPL, don't spend your money on a cheap one. Buy a Hoya CPL (from $80.00 to $200.00 or so). The same if you decided to buy UV filters (don't go cheap).

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008

I think you're referring to UV filters that you put on with the lens. Get a lens and a UV filter if you must have one. They're not expensive, but if you're just starting out you're not really going to need one.

Buy your "glass" first then add filters as needed. Memory is good too if you find a good deal. That's about the only time when I buy memory anymore though.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
If you're going to get a UV filter, I would recommend looking for a filter that does as much as it can to not detrimentally affect your image quality. Multi-coated filters are probably your best bet, and you should avoid filters without any coats or just one coat (they're not very flare-resistant and are typically bad at transmitting close to 100% of light through themselves). I use a Hoya Super UV filter on my 70-200 f/4L, and as wheelhot mentioned in a previous thread, if you look at it straight-on it looks like there's no glass at all--it's quite astonishing. Look around for a good filter, which should be relatively cheap since you're shopping for a 58mm filter thread. Do some research and find the best deal once you've decided on which filter you want.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
i was thinking of a uv filter more for protection and such..

i was thinking this,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/594796-REG/Canon_2605A008_58mm_UV_Protector_Filter.html

unless someone can say something better but im just going for protection..

Before you buy a UV filter, look at this series of photos showing the differences between the different kinds (namely, uncoated versus multi-coated):

http://www.kenandchristine.com/gallery/1054387

Not all UV filters are created equal.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
forget about the UV filter, unless you're regularly at the beach or on a racetrack or in the middle of a battlefield or somewhere where there's debris regularly flying everywhere. get a hood instead.

if you do, in fact, need a filter, only buy a multi-coated filter. this means Hoya, B+W, or Tiffen, as far as i know, and it probably won't be cheaper than $40. price varies according to filter diameter, and if you want a slim one or not.

2 memory cards is better than one.

as your next lens, get either a 35mm f/2 or 55-250mm IS. both are around $250, i believe. either that, or get a 270ex flash when it comes out in May, or a 430ex now for around $220.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Unless you're going to spend close to a hundred dollars on a UV filter, all you're going to do is make your image quality worse. Hoods help protect the front glass and are cheaper, but usually aren't available for kit or cheap lenses. Until you start getting $400 and up lenses, it's hardly worth it...

But I'll echo the sentiment of some other posters here... the $80 Canon 50mm f1.8 is a great starter lens for experimenting with fast lenses and should be on every entry level photographer's shopping list

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
If he's getting the kit lens, then a hood is hardly a good investment. They do make one for it, but it's so small that it provides almost no benefit in reducing flare, increasing contrast, or protecting the lens.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Unless you're going to spend close to a hundred dollars on a UV filter, all you're going to do is make your image quality worse. Hoods help protect the front glass and are cheaper, but usually aren't available for kit or cheap lenses. Until you start getting $400 and up lenses, it's hardly worth it...
Hmm, I don't think Hoya Multi Coated filter even the Pro 1D is that expensive especially with the kit lens diameter :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.