Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bytezone

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
SO far I have only worked on windows. I was very much impressed by Ipod touch functionality and would like to develop few application for Ipod touch.
Can anyone give answer my queries regarding the same..

At present I am working on C#.Net and other microsoft prograaming tools.
In past I have worked on C and C++. I have good OOPs knowledge on C#.

1.With this said, How long it might take for me to get well versed with iphone SDK language...???

2. How do I go about setting up envirnoment for development..??

3. I heard SD K is based on Object C. Can I learn object C on windows machine, Untill I buy Apple computer..??

4. Any chance of Apple intrudicing Ipohone SDK for windows in near future..??So that I could wait untill then...??

5. Any usefull link for a propective iphone programmer link me ...??

6. Also during weekend I spoke to geeksquad at Best Buy and they said, Mac 10.5 can be loaded on an external HDD and made to boot though windows. IS this possible...???

Thanks and looking forward to your repsonse...

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
4. Any chance of Apple intrudicing Ipohone SDK for windows in near future..??So that I could wait untill then...??.

I doubt Apple will release an official one. There is a guide to getting it on Windows, but ultimately it's not the official Apple build (search Google). The reason being that the iPhone OS is based on Mac OS X, so apps can, theoretically, only be programmed using the OS X resources; in this case, the apps are programmed using Xcode.

bytezone

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
Thanks for the replys..

another questions..

How is Cocoa realted to iphone programming...?? I mean what role does Cocoa play is iphone app development..

BlackWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2009
Thanks for the replys..

another questions..

How is Cocoa realted to iphone programming...?? I mean what role does Cocoa play is iphone app development..

iphone apps are coded in cocoa touch which is a derivate of cocoa which, itself, is just a derivate of objective-c :D so BASICALLY(!) cocoa touch is objective-c with apple's iphone APIs, afaik.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
About 2 months for a competant C programmer to come up to speed, but YMMV.

Intel Mac running the latest Leopard 10.5 only.

Objective-C : just C with a couple additions: a macro pre-processor that turns funny punctuation into OOP call semantics, and a Smalltalk-like run-time engine underneath doing the messaging. Doesn't take long to get used to the funny punctuation, as long as you put your mind to it.

Cocoa/UIKit is the Obj-C framework/library for all the UI and most of the OS API's. Can't really do an iPhone app UI without it. For other stuff, it's just better supported and better integrated than going straight to C posix.

imho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.