Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Hey guys,

I recently started downloading some guides and buying some books about programming in C, Objective-C and Cocoa, and I'm quite surprised at how easy it actually is to remember in the end. I've built a couple very, very simple Mac apps (mainly derivatives of ones given in the guides/books I got) and want to now move onto iPhone programming. The only thing is I am absolutely clueless for ideas. I do have a couple, but in retrospect they seem kind of pointless and stupid (for example, I'm really into animation and was juggling the idea of having an animation quotes/facts type app - surely just mentioning a show [I won't use any images, obviously] wouldn't infringe copyright would it? Or would Apple reject it just to be safe anyway?).

Anyway, is there some sort of really simple app that would be ideal for the iPhone that anyone can think of, not really a major App Store type thing, but just the sort of thing to push my current skills into new territory?

BlackWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2009
Hey guys,

I recently started downloading some guides and buying some books about programming in C, Objective-C and Cocoa, and I'm quite surprised at how easy it actually is to remember in the end. I've built a couple very, very simple Mac apps (mainly derivatives of ones given in the guides/books I got) and want to now move onto iPhone programming. The only thing is I am absolutely clueless for ideas. I do have a couple, but in retrospect they seem kind of pointless and stupid (for example, I'm really into animation and was juggling the idea of having an animation quotes/facts type app - surely just mentioning a show [I won't use any images, obviously] wouldn't infringe copyright would it? Or would Apple reject it just to be safe anyway?).

Anyway, is there some sort of really simple app that would be ideal for the iPhone that anyone can think of, not really a major App Store type thing, but just the sort of thing to push my current skills into new territory?

well, I personally am doing a little blackjack app just for this exact reason, to just program something.
I first created a BJ app which was only text-based, that alone was difficult enough. right now I'm starting to create on with actual cards and animations and stuff, which is like a hundred times more difficult, but whatever :D
I found the text-based BJ app to be really nice to jump into cocoa touch programming. I had to do a lot of stuff that I hadn't done before but that is really important, but it wasn't too difficult and if you don't want to get in ALL the blackjack rules you see results quite quickly (even if they don't look very well :p)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.