Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfnerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Hello,

I am working on a G4 Dual 1G with the memory maxed out. My question is how do I get surround sound in and out of the computer. I am trying to create surround sound for a DVD and I want to be able to hear it in true form when I am creating it and not in stero which seems to be the only way. Are there any cards, software, etc... to facilitate this or do I need to upgrade to a G5 (last option)? Apple's site seems to lack any info on this. :confused:

Thanks for any help.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
So long as your G4 has a headphone plug, you can get true stereo surround sound. Just buy any speaker set that is a "surround sound" speaker set. They usually come with 4 or 5 satellites and a decently sized subwoofer. Just plug the system into a good power source, then into your computer's headphone jack, and you'll get true surround sound.

This method work great with my 12" PowerBook G4 Rev. A.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
You may already know this, the G5 has this neat optical audio out port, which probably gives you even crisper, purer sound. I don't know much about optical audio, or what speakers will plug into that kind of port, but I think it's worth looking into. :)

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
you might also think about getting a new soundcard that supports 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound and then getting some new speakers to go with it. but that could be more expesive than what you're looking for (~$250-$350 for all the stuff).

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
surfnerd said:
Hello,

I am working on a G4 Dual 1G with the memory maxed out. My question is how do I get surround sound in and out of the computer. I am trying to create surround sound for a DVD and I want to be able to hear it in true form when I am creating it and not in stero which seems to be the only way. Are there any cards, software, etc... to facilitate this or do I need to upgrade to a G5 (last option)? Apple's site seems to lack any info on this. :confused:

Thanks for any help.

Well, you can emulate surround sound via the method above, but the actual digital encoding is lost - so it will be up to the surround sound speakers to make up the division of labor to the speakers.

What you want to do is get a Dolby or DTS signal out of your computer (or in.) The only way to do that without an optical or audio dig coax input (via a G5 as mentioned above or by buying a new sound card) is to use either firewire or USB. Here are two example from M-Audio:

transit.jpg

couts_sonicatheater_cc779.jpg

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
carletonmusic said:
Well, you can emulate surround sound via the method above, but the actual digital encoding is lost - so it will be up to the surround sound speakers to make up the division of labor to the speakers.

With my 12" PB, my speakers divide up the sound quite nicely, in Dolby 5.1. It sure sounds like surround sound to me when I'm watching a DVD or listening to music, in that different sounds come from different speakers. Say, I car will drive by on a DVD movie, and I will hear the car go from the left to the right.

I like Carltonmusic's idea best, if you have the money. If not, my idea works!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
sethypoo said:
With my 12" PB, my speakers divide up the sound quite nicely, in Dolby 5.1. It sure sounds like surround sound to me when I'm watching a DVD or listening to music, in that different sounds come from different speakers. Say, I car will drive by on a DVD movie, and I will hear the car go from the left to the right.

Definitely, because the headphone jack is a stereo output, it has left and right. You would head a car going from left to right (very well) with a set of headphones as well. The difference in true surround encoding is frontL, frontR, center, rearL, and rearR. Almost all of the dialogue will come out of the center channel speaker ONLY.

It is possible to create a surround sound matrix (3 channels from 2) as Dolby Pro Logic introduced back in the 90s. "Surround Field", of "Surround Matrix" are ways of saying "not actually 5/6/7.1" but it will sound a lot like it. Some stand-alone surround sound speaker sets are finding ways to do this, I think the logitech speaker set can decode DTS - but you still have to get the signal there unbroken via Optical/Coax/USB/Firewire. ;)

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Surround sound solutions abound for Macs

surfnerd said:
I am working on a G4 Dual 1G with the memory maxed out.
My question is how do I get surround sound in and out of the computer.
I am trying to create surround sound for a DVD and I want to be able to hear it in true form when I am creating it and not in stero which seems to be the only way. Are there any cards, software, etc... to facilitate this or do I need to upgrade to a G5 (last option)? Apple's site seems to lack any info on this. :confused:
Did you check among these 3rd party product items on this Apple site location?
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...U1XhlW7GN/0.0.7.1.0.5.13.0.2.1.3.0.7.15.1.1.0

I have a G4 Dual 1G too.
M-Audio is a primary solution, check out their site thoroughly
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php

The JBL Invader system is compatible with all analog stereo and multi-channel soundcards. (All it lacks is a Center Speaker) Perfect for a G4
A multi-channel soundcard is recommended for best effects.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...0YvDfoZZC2XzqskU1XhlW7GN/1.3.0.5.10.3.27.13.0
t6503lla_125.jpg

USB is good
FIREWIRE is better
PCI card is very good but may be stuck inside your G4; it's not PCI-X so not sure if you could migrate it to G5 when you upgrade computers (ask them).
revolution_7.1.jpg

Want 5.1 speakers for Mac? These are G5 optical solutions.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...603/wo/L840YvDfoZZC2XzqskU1XhlW7GN/1.3.0.5.10
t7087lla_125.jpg

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...603/wo/L840YvDfoZZC2XzqskU1XhlW7GN/1.3.0.5.10
t7156lla_125.jpg

To have a G5 type Digital Audio Optical solution on a G4, get the M-Audio Transit USB box suggested above at Post #5 by carletonmusic

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=ce4f3b6d13494004f69f07cb11070055
transit.jpg

surfnerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Thanks for the great replies and info. Question 2

Now that I have an idea of how to get the sound in and out what would be the best software choice to edit and create the surround sound? Logic 6 or something else?

Thanks.

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
surfnerd said:
Now that I have an idea of how to get the sound in and out what would be the best software choice to edit and create the surround sound? Logic 6 or something else?
Thanks.
Are you doing Video or just Audio?
featurestop_041804_01.jpg

DVD Studio Pro 3
includes 5.1 DTS Audio surround sound
DVD Studio Pro 3 supports all professional audio formats by adding DTS multi-channel audio, a high-quality industry standard audio format, for DVD title authoring.
featuresapack_041804.gif

Use bundled A.Pack compression software for encoding AC-3 files for Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound, or for uncompressed two-channel stereo.
  • DVD Studio Pro 3 includes A.Pack to encode audio in Dolby Digital format, also known as AC-3. A.Pack compresses multichannel sound files, producing 1.0 to 5.1 surround sound, and gives you complete control over the audio encoding process.
    Dolby Digital Encoding
    * Dolby-certified encoding to Dolby Digital AC-3 format
    * Accepts QuickTime (single or multi-channel), AIFF, Sound Designer and WAVE format sound files for encoding
    * Supports all channel formats from mono to 5.1 surround sound

FinalCut Pro 4.5
includes Soundtrack multi-channel, but not surround sound specifically; it appears dependent upon DVD Studion Pro 3 for tasking surround sound encoding

For more Audio specific tasking
Logic Pro 6
http://www.apple.com/logic/ $1000
Includes surround sound, Emagic’s computer-based music production software elegantly combines composition, notation and production with all emagic plugins and instruments.

surfnerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Is this a good option and will it work?

FireWire 410 is a FireWire-compatible audio/MIDI interface that has it all—power, flexibility, compact size and low price. FireWire 410’s 4-in/10-out configuration complete with preamps is perfect for personal recording, routing discrete outputs to a mixer, or directly driving a surround sound system. The on-board ASIO 2-compliant mixer and software control panel provide total routing flexibility—including monitoring with external effects. You also get ultra-low latency software monitoring and near-zero latency hardware direct monitoring—and two headphone outs with independent level controls let you collaborate with a partner anywhere, anytime. FireWire 410 can even be completely bus-powered for total mobile operation (6-pin FireWire port required)

firewire_410.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.