Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gravityplan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
So my new ibook is going to have a 4200rpm HD, which is apparently considered slow as hard drives go. I am currently using an old beige G3 minitower 266 and I was going to find out what speed that HD runs at for comparision, but I can't find this info anywhere: not in Apple System Profiler, not in the manual or specs, nada. So I was just wondering if anyone had any guesses to what speed HD they put into those machines. :confused:

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
gravityplan said:
So my new ibook is going to have a 4200rpm HD, which is apparently considered slow as hard drives go. I am currently using an old beige G3 minitower 266 and I was going to find out what speed that HD runs at for comparision, but I can't find this info anywhere: not in Apple System Profiler, not in the manual or specs, nada. So I was just wondering if anyone had any guesses to what speed HD they put into those machines. :confused:

if i had to guess i would say 5400 rpms apple tends to use 5400 especialy when they switched to ata connected drives. the powermacs 604 had scsi interfaces (i am talking about 8500 and 9500 series) as far asi know the 5400 rpm drives were in till as late as the quick silvers (lowend) but i am not sure what they are using now.

gravityplan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Wow so actually my new HD will be slower than the one I am used to...bummer, esp since the one on the G3 is kinda slow anyway. (Of course with 6 gigs it is crammed pretty full and I haven't defragged in a while so I'm sure that's a factor). I suppose this could give me an excuse to buy a nice speedy external drive to go with the 'book.

Thanks for the link, musicpyrite, I'll check it out. :)

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
your new HD is actually faster ATA100 vs i would image ATA33 on the G3 only the spin rotation is slightly slower in the ibook

gravityplan said:
Wow so actually my new HD will be slower than the one I am used to...bummer, esp since the one on the G3 is kinda slow anyway. (Of course with 6 gigs it is crammed pretty full and I haven't defragged in a while so I'm sure that's a factor). I suppose this could give me an excuse to buy a nice speedy external drive to go with the 'book.

Thanks for the link, musicpyrite, I'll check it out. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.