PDA

View Full Version : Airport Extreme w/ Omni Antena question

iBunny
Apr 23, 2004, 06:54 PM
How much range will i get with this? and say within about 15 - 20 feet, would i get a full 54MB / second?

RBMaraman
Apr 23, 2004, 07:35 PM
How much range will i get with this? and say within about 15 - 20 feet, would i get a full 54MB / second?

The range of the Airport Extreme basestation with no external antenna is 150 feet.

The omni-antenna will extend the Airport Extreme's range to 500 feet.

The connection speed will depend on several factors, such as, your network speed and how many people are accessing it, etc.

iBunny
Apr 23, 2004, 08:35 PM
The range of the Airport Extreme basestation with no external antenna is 150 feet.

The omni-antenna will extend the Airport Extreme's range to 500 feet.

The connection speed will depend on several factors, such as, your network speed and how many people are accessing it, etc.

Well i have a 3Mbit Cable Connection and 1 PC connected right now... the base station would be the 2nd thing connected to it.

mactastic
Apr 24, 2004, 12:07 PM
I don't think you ever get a 'full' 54 Mbps. There is some overhead involved I believe, although others could probably elaborate better than I can about the reasons for it. Besides, that still far exceeds your internet connection, so you must be worried about file transfer speeds. If that's the case, just plug into the ethernet switch when you need large file transfers.