Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hey,

I bought an app on my main computer (which I use to sync my iPhone) and want it on my laptop, I think I can copy the app to a flash drive and copy it over, or sync my iPhone on there, but it only has 1.1 which is slow as balls. My question is, Can I log into my itunes account on my laptop, go to the app store link, click buy and have it re-download it again free of charge? Thanks

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Yes, you should be able to redownload the apps, for no extra charge. Or just copy the Mobile Apps folder from one computer to the other, then drag the contents into iTunes on that computer.

TEG

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
Yes, you should be able to redownload the apps, for no extra charge. Or just copy the Mobile Apps folder from one computer to the other, then drag the contents into iTunes on that computer.

TEG

+1 what TEG wrote.

I copied some apps from my laptop to my desktop which is my main set up for syncing. After dragging them into iTunes they worked fine. Both computers ae authorized under the same account.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
the method I used to copy apps on my iPhone to my MacBook after beer trashed my laptop, on which I had my iTunes acc setup on, was to plug the iPhone into the MacBook and once iTunes had finished mounting it, right click on the iPhone icon and select "copy purchases". All apps transferred to new MacBook.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Same way as transferring music

It's simple to transfer apps, it's the exact same method as transferring music.

Just backup your entire iTunes library (or just the apps) to a external device, such as CD or DVD, or flash drive.

Then, de-authorize the apps from your existing computers. Note that this will also de-authorize the music as well.

Now, copy the apps onto your new mac. Then, authorize the iTunes purchases so they would work on this mac.

atomheartmother

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Sorry to hijack, but...

So is it possible to transfer my apps to my girlfriends computer and then let her upload my apps to her iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.