Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iboy38

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Waldorf, MD
I want a White MacBook in May, but I'm thinking about waiting until the end of the year just in case Apple upgrades them or make the aluminium ones cheaper. What should I do???

o2xygen

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
This question is asked almost on an hourly basis. No they wont be upgraded anytime soon, the alu macbooks wont be cheaper. Short answer, if you want it now BUY IT. If you want it in May, BUY IT THEN. If you want it at the end of the year well then wait and buy it then.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
+1

Really, it's up to you. If you really need a new one, and can't wait, go refurb. You'll get something in the middle, in terms of price. Or if $$$ is tight, go for a refurb white if they still have them.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
I think it'd be a good idea to go ahead and buy one. The only thing that I'd be concerned about is if they'd put DDR3 RAM into the WhiteBooks. I doubt that they'll do this because it's the only real performance handicap the WhiteBook has compared to the 2.0GHZ Unibody.

Bottom line: Buy a WhiteBook, buy 4GB's of DDR2 800MHZ RAM and a 7200RPM HDD and install them yourself. With those upgrades, you'll be running about even with the average Unibody for hundreds less.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
The white Macbook is a great buy. But if you're asking whether the Alu books will be upgraded before the end of the year, they probably will be. There hasn't been a year (in the last 12 since I've been following Apple laptops) that Apple hasn't upgraded its portable line, and usually it's twice a year. Also, consult this page -

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//

relativist

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
I recently upgraded from a 2.4 GHz macbook from last year to the 2.0 GHz macbook with nVidia graphics, I like it much better. I'm not sure if it's still on, but I bought it from microcenter because they had a $200 Mail in Rebate.

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Honolulu, Hawaii
I recently upgraded from a 2.4 GHz macbook from last year to the 2.0 GHz macbook with nVidia graphics, I like it much better. I'm not sure if it's still on, but I bought it from microcenter because they had a $200 Mail in Rebate.

200 rebate is a steal...

i'd only buy it in august when they give a free ipod w/ rebates...

if u can wait...wait till back to school sales

lots of clearance..

edit: also get applecare...its very worthwhile...

i have a thread about it..

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Honolulu, Hawaii
The general rule is that apple clears out its backstock of portables and ipods in the summer with its back to school special. It then introduces new models in the early fall in time for the holiday shopping season.

yup...

i normally get the 150 bucks rebate for the ipod....

then i sell the ipod for 200ish....

so not bad...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.