Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
anonymous writes "Meeting Info:
"Unfortunately due to undisclosed problems the Mac OSX 10.0.5 Update has been delayed. We expect the update to be available to public users by the 6th June at the latest."

"DVD playback is included but is undocumented and the DVD software player is unfinished (beta version) but functional"

"...please emphasis to your staff that Apple has no future plans to buy Palm as reported in the press...."

Rumors In the Office: (not comfirmed)
<ul>
<li> Apple Is going to buy Palm (I don't agree)
<li> Apple is developing a Newton /palm based PDA which will include new 'Drag and Drop' file transfer / hotsync software for Mac. ( I agree!!)
<li> iPicture (part of the iTools network) is near completion ( I have no idea, don't work with that lot, and haven't been told anything...)
<li> Apple is re-designing the G4, transparent plastic will not be included in the design-instead metal will be used following the design of the TiBook. ( I agree)
"</ul>

Note to readers - a recent posting raised a bit of a stink as far as our not having carried out some sort of source verification. So, be aware that we indeed have no notion of this source's credibility--this is a rumor. Salt to taste.

10sfan

Palm

The rumor is not that Apple is buying Palm, it is that Apple is buying Handspring. This seems slightly more plausible because Handspring Visors have shown up in several of Apple's own ads, but I think it is probably not true either.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Thank you for informing me the release of OS 10.0.5 has been delayed. Let's just hope the rest of the information is as breathtakingly accurate

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
Agreed about Palm vs. Handspring. Palm would be quite an expensive purchase, and Handspring, while still expensive, not nearly so.

I have a Hanspring Platinum. When weighing my choices, somehow the Handspring company as a whole seems more Mac-like. I don't know how to explain it, it just felt better. And I am so happy with my purchase! Now to get one with an Apple logo on it, running OSXlite would be a sheer joy. I am still on eBay all the time looking for a Newton that isn't too expensive :)

M

MacBoyAZ

Would meeting notes from Apple really call it "Mac OSX", when in fact it's "Mac OS X"? I don't believe these rumors at all.

Originally posted by Macrumors
anonymous writes "Meeting Info:
"Unfortunately due to undisclosed problems the Mac OSX 10.0.5 Update has been delayed. We expect the update to be available to public users by the 6th June at the latest."

A

AnotherAnonymous

Lack of a space between two characters does not make this issue any less interesting. When an update is finally released, if it is called 10.0.5 instead of 10.0.4 then this rumor was indeed true. Since we're at 10.0.3, by all official accounts we should be expecting 10.0.4. So stop giving the guy a hard time, go start your own web site if you don't like this one.

M

MacBoyAZ

I didn't say I don't like this site. I don't visit it enough to really have judgement yet. All I am saying is I don't believe these rumors. So again we hear a target date for the ending of the week.

What, if this doesn't come to pass, I'm sure we'll have another "Rumor" next week saying "Oh, well they found another problem, it will be out this week". Repeat that until something is finally released. Woohoo Look! The rumor was true.

:rolleyes:

I'm going to start a site saying "G5 to be released next week" and repeat that weekly until it really does come out.

Originally posted by AnotherAnonymous
Lack of a space between two characters does not make this issue any less interesting. When an update is finally released, if it is called 10.0.5 instead of 10.0.4 then this rumor was indeed true. Since we're at 10.0.3, by all official accounts we should be expecting 10.0.4. So stop giving the guy a hard time, go start your own web site if you don't like this one.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
Now now - let's not get our testes in a bunch...

This site is a rumor site. Some come true - others don't. No big deal. Some come here to get excited about thinking they know something before someone else does...

"Hey, did you hear they might be coming out with 10.0.5 instead of 10.0.4?"

"No ****. What do you think is gonna be in it?"

"Well, I read that..."

...etc.

If you plan your weekends or your savings plans by a rumor site, you are taking things too seriously. I get as excited as anyone - and when things come true, I smile brighter. When they don't, I hope the next one is true. That's all.

Have some fun with life. But not by posting crap you make up. If it's a rumor, it's cool.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Help, me understand. If I disagree with a post I should start my own website?

I think the fun of a rumors site is it gets people talking. I don't care if the guy who posted is a liar or Steve Jobs. I like the site and it increases my interest in mac related topics. I thought this was the point of the site. So, relax, and enjoy the exchange of opinions.

os4

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2001
reaction

A) Parsing a posting's textural formatting is ridiculous. You are granted your opinion on reading the tea leaves, and I am granted mine. The whole issue that "Mac OSX" vs. "Mac OS X" bears no meaning. Perhaps the poster mistyped (the horror!) He did not copy-and-past the meeting notes; he summarized them.

B) Blake, I have noticed your inane postings on too many sites. You are a complete buffoon.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
postings

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'm pretty light on postings to sites. It's been well over a year since I think I've posted anything to a site, as far as a comment this way or that...well, I did get into web discussions involving the hacking of an i-opener into a Win98 machine, but that was over a year ago. I do follow the newsgroups tho.

I think you're must be thinking of someone else.

blakespot

S

Sleepy

Today

Today is the 6th June. No Update so far. Wake me up when it's there.

N

Nice guy

Re: Today

Originally posted by Sleepy

It's not the 6th of June yet in Cupertino.

Y

Yawning

Even if we don't see it by the 6th. Thanks for letting us debate the rumor. Again, rumors are better then silence.

ThorPrime

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2001
Well the offices are closed and still no sign of an update. I guess we will all have to wait for another day.

Xistor

macrumors member
May 1, 2001
California
Rumor is false..

This is round two of no update in accordance to "it will be out at the latest by (insert next date here)".. I believe the last poster who said to the effect of "if you repeat the rumor enough times, sooner or later it comes true."....

Now, on to more constructive talk. (HOPEFULLY APPLE ENGINEERING EXECS READ THIS!) I hope that when Apple finally DOES add DVD support to OS X, that they do it by simply making it a new component of QuickTime and not a port that slow, buggy Apple DVD Player to an "OS X" slow carbonized 2x as buggy version... ugh.. PLEASE APPLE, DON'T DO IT! Take a clue from Microsoft (who just built DVD support into MS Windows Media Player 8)... just make it another choice of data streams, a new module for QuickTime.. Apple already spends a major amount of engineering budget and time on developing Quicktime as the future of media. There's no need to make elaborate stand alone poorly engineered junk apps just to play DVDs!

Oh ya, and a side note, the "cinema" mode thing built into the OS now... let us turn it off! On a laptop, it can make the screen unbelievably dark on indoor movie shots.. i'd rather have the option of having a regular, brighter-if-less-contrasted picture.

And another note, I wouldn't mind disappearing the bug plagued Dock in favor of an Application menu as a new option for OS X... we can leave our favorite applications on the desk top ya know..

OK, done bitching now.. ;)

R

Right

Re: Re: Today

"So where is the update."

"Oh, it's delayed. It will be out by friday."

Uh-uh
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Nice guy

M

Melinda Gates

There is a 10.0.4 in beta testing right now. It is mostly bug fixes but seems to have some nice improvments for the system. It did a long "Optimizing System" sequence but its hard to tell if anything is better. Hold your horses I'm sure they will release it once it is tested.

G

Re: Re: Today

Originally posted by Nice guy

It's the 7th now. No update. I think these rumors of updates need to stop. Steve is probably getting pissed at the leaks being reported, and is delaying any updates on purpose just to spite the rumor sites.

swilcox

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2001
Whoops

Well, it's June 7th in my galaxy, and no sign of the update yet. Looks like "anonymous" is not as well connected as s/he seems to think. Oh well...

thedbp

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2001
Balto., MD

Just found the 10.0.8 update on Carracho ... all I can say is WHOOOOAAAAA BABY! The Finder is snappy, startup is about 1.5x faster, and watching DVDs was, well, a welcome change. Don't worry, it'll be out as soon as they actually write it, test it, release it in alpha, then beta, then maybe if you cross your fingers and tap your heels together while you click "Update Now" you'll get it!

U

UpdateAddict

10.0.8, not as good as...

10.0.23... now that's an awesome update.

Just installed it, and man it makes my OS X setup faster than my OS 9 setup! DVD's are incredible, and the Finder is fast as hell. Full hardware support in Classic too!

If you don't see it in the Software Update panel yet folks, don't worry, my "sources" tell me that it'll be posted "at the latest" at 9:18 sharp tonight.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.