Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
OK...granted, it's obviously not a NECESSITY, but is it something that is becoming less negotiable? I just read an article at Macworld.com (March 2004) reviewing new peripherals (especially mice and keyboards) and I noted that there is this other technology that is like bluetooth but less powerful.
I've decided (finally) on an iBook...should I pay the $50 for Bluetooth (and wait another week for it to be BTO!)? If I do end up with a PDA and other bluetooth devices, will it having really save me that much time (over using wires/USB/etc.)?

(BTW, thanks to all those who responded to my earlier posts--they helped make my decision a lot easier!) :)

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Mr. Monsieur,

I suppose as time-saving goes, it's probably a draw. Wired (USB) is inherently faster than wireless (bluetooth). However it could take you a few seconds to get the cable out and connect your cell phone or PDA to your computer. Another thing is you could just leave the device across the room or in your pocket and sync it just like that.

I wish I had a bluetooth cell phone. Unfortunately Verizon doesn't offer one. I'll have to settle for a USB solution for now, until they get it together.

Once you start using a wireless keyboard and mouse you'll wonder why you didn't start sooner. I have both, and they're great.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I would say it is more a way to "future proof" yourself than anything else. I use Bluetooth in my mouse, and I enjoy not having to have an extra dongle on the notebook, and it makes taking the mouse with me alot easier. Other than that I don't have much use for it.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
Mr. Monsieur said:
OK...granted, it's obviously not a NECESSITY

You have answered your own question...So it's ovbiously a luxury...

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
With Bluetooth technology integrated in Mac OS X v10.3 “Panther”, you can easily connect your Apple computer with your Palm OS-based handheld device, mobile phone and other peripherals with Bluetooth technology — and do it wirelessly, within a 30-foot range.

So if you have Panther, then no cost to you :D

I'm sure you've been there but here's the whole article

http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
jet3004 said:
You have answered your own question...So it's ovbiously a luxury...

Obviously, but that wasn't his point. He was wondering how much of a pointless gadget or a useful technology it is.

Personally I think bluetooth is going to be like USB, its going to be pretty ubiquitous. I would love nothing more than having a blue tooth mouse, printer, and keyboard, plus a cellphone, it would make organizing alot easier.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I think it's a must-get. It is really handy to be able to use a mouse without any dongles or other items protruding from your laptop.

Additionally, more useful stuff that takes advantage of Bluetooth is being developed. Just last week I saw this amazing tool called "Salling Clicker" (developer is no relation to me as far as I know) which lets you use a Bluetooth phone or PDA as a remote for Powerpoint or Keynote - it even works as a remote for the DVD player on the Mac!

Admittedly Bluetooth was slow to get out of the starting gate, but I notice a lot of new BT-enabled devices coming out lately.

BTW Rod Rod, I feel your pain. I'm stuck with Verizon another year (that's my own fault of course), but I'd love a BT phone. We went with Verizon because of their huge coverage area; but I run into a lot of surprising drop-out areas even right around Seattle. I think I'll seriously consider a different provider once my contract is up.

cdp788

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2004
I agree with everyone else in that it's a must get... one of the nice things about a laptop is its portability... but up until recently, that portability came with the sacrifice of functionality. With wifi and bluetooth you can keep your functionality and have your portability too. all they need to come up with now is wireless AC cables and we'll be in business (i know... batteries)

by the by, the motorola v600 is due to make its verizon debut in the fall (i believe)... that means that it'll definetly be affordable by the holidays. HP had a bluetooth printer but have since stopped production (i think). speaking of which, does anybody know of any bluetooth printers on the market now? sorry, don't mean to change the subject of the conversation.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
cdp788 said:
speaking of which, does anybody know of any bluetooth printers on the market now?

Any printer can become a bluetooth printer with an adapter for it. Trust me, this route is better than buying a Bluetooth printer. It is just like the digital cameras they have with Bluetooth...They are indeed technology of the future but are not totally fleshed out.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Westside guy: my two years was up this past week, so I went to select a new phone and renew. I'm sticking with Verizon because we have a really good minutes plan for the family. I asked the guy if Verizon had any Bluetooth phones and the response I got after the "no" was something like, "nobody's been asking for it." Obviously I was asking for it but I just said I really want a Bluetooth phone. So I'll have to settle for whatever they have. I want a Motorola T730 but they've sold out and they aren't getting any more. I don't want to get another V60 (I like it but the antenna is a little delicate).

cdp788: I'd like to know which Bluetooth printers work with OS X too. Two months ago when I got my new printer (Canon i450) I came across a Bluetooth Canon printer. The specs said XP only. I asked the manager in the local Apple store if any printers worked with Bluetooth. He said no. I hope it's just a matter of plugging a Bluetooth dongle into a printer's USB port (on the other side of an A to B adapter, of course), then configuring the printer in Bluetooth Setup Assistant. Maybe someone could experiment?

edit: jet3004, have you done it?

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Sparky's said:
So if you have Panther, then no cost to you :D

I'm sure you've been there but here's the whole article

http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/

maybe i'm just confused about what you're trying to say here, but this does not mean that you automatically get blue tooth. you still have to buy the tech, it is just integrated into the OS.

is that what you were insinuating, or is the booze interfering with the reading over here?

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Having bluetooth is a luxury.. but I wouldn't say it's a great one. I long for the day that bluetooth will connect my world of wants.. a world where iSync works with my verizon wireless phone, a world where I never again have to connect a usb cable... a world where the printer 3 cubes down gets discovered and will actually print. For now though, those are simply longings... no where near possibility.

Bluetooth gives us something to hope for, but right now.. it's not much more than that. The promise simply hasn't been met yet...

Is it worth $50? Yes.. but only as a future worth analysis. :)

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
Rod Rod, Yes I have tried it and currently have it now running on my Epson to my PC and it will work flawlessly when I get my Powerbook. I can't wait! Wireless printing is THE way to go and to me it's one of the best reasons for Bluetooth.

stoid

macrumors 601
If you plan on keeping the laptop for more than a year or two, I would definitely go for the Bluetooth. Divided over two years, that's $2/month. You could find that in change on parking lots. I would then look at http://www.macmice.com They are supposedly releasing a BlueTooth version of The Mouse mid/late June that I have already set aside money for.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
bluetooth is not the best connection for printers, because it's too slow for that. instead buy such a printer that has wlan - there's the speed you are looking for. bluetooth is best for mice, keyboards and cell phones. and all such things that don't depend on speed and low latencies, but rather benefit from wireless connection and simple availability.

salling clicker is great. i love it. please try it if you have such a mobile phone that is supported by it.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Mr. Monsieur said:
I've decided (finally) on an iBook...should I pay the $50 for Bluetooth (and wait another week for it to be BTO!)? If I do end up with a PDA and other bluetooth devices, will it having really save me that much time (over using wires/USB/etc.)?

:)

I too would say get it. Synching is one thing, but the big bluetooth benefit to me is bluetooth mice and keyboards. Not only a hastle free way to get using them right away if you work at a desk when you get home, mice cna be taken everywhere without need for cable and I think work better without a tail getting in the way.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Mr. Monsieur said:

If the extra $50 and the additional week before sipping bothers you, I recommend you don't get the optional Bluetooth. Specially since you, obviously don't have any Bluetooth devices. If you later buy any such devices, like a cellphone, you can get a USB Bluetooth adapter. OK, it a bit annoying to have it sticking out on the left side of your computer, but it works. Then if you really start using it you can always get the internal on your next purchase, whenever that is.

I have a 12" G4 iBook and a Keyspan adapter and I'm synchronizing my Address Book and iCal onto my Sony Ericsson T68i cellphone. I've also tried it with a cheaper Billington adapter as well as a bit more costly one from 3com, they all works fine, also under Linux (and Windoze). (If you want to be able to use the adapter on other machines also than be careful with the D-Link adapter from Apple Store, as I think that will be Firmware upgraded by Apple's own Bluetooth updates, which makes it unrecognizable to other operating systems.)

d-fi

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
Calgary, Canada
Bluetooth is great for a laptop! Just be sure to have a phone that is compatible with it (if you can help it anyway). It's so much easier to type in all of your contacts on the computer then sync them on to the phone. This feature alone made it worthwhile for me.

Near your computer? send and recive txt (sms) messages from your computer from the address book way easier to type with a real keyboard then a number pad on a phone.

bluetooth mouse is one less cable to haul around in your laptop bag. i just wish my university had wireless access for the network then the only cable i might need is a power cord :)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
d-fi said:
Near your computer? send and recive txt (sms) messages from your computer from the address book way easier to type with a real keyboard then a number pad on a phone.

That's right I forgot that you can configrue it so if your phone is near your PB when a call comes in it flashes the number and address book details to the screen. I have to dig that one up again and make sure its setup...

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Mr. Monsieur said:
Thanks for your thoughts...they helped make my decision a good deal easier! :)

so did you go for BT? i just got a dongle and apple wireless mouse a few weeks ago..it's fun, but as others here have said, it's not a necessity.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
yep

:cool: yep...from what I can tell bluetooth seems to be coming into its own. I don't own any peripherals as of yet, so it's not like I'm going to have to throw old equipment out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.