PDA

View Full Version : Exchange data from one iPhone to another via 3g/Edge / Bonjour?

hfmn
Apr 22, 2009, 03:33 AM
Hi,

I like to build an app that can talk to another iPhone with the same App running. Think about it as a chat application. Is there a way to find the other iPhone that is running the App without a server in the middle? Maybe using Bonjour?

Please guid me to any code sample or please tell me how this could work. Thank you!

ghayenga
Apr 22, 2009, 08:18 AM
Hi,

I like to build an app that can talk to another iPhone with the same App running. Think about it as a chat application. Is there a way to find the other iPhone that is running the App without a server in the middle? Maybe using Bonjour?

Please guid me to any code sample or please tell me how this could work. Thank you!

Check out the WiTap code example.

hfmn
Apr 22, 2009, 09:31 AM
Thank you. This works locally in the same network. Is there also a way to do this on the WAN? Worldwide through the Internet?

jnic
Apr 22, 2009, 10:18 AM
Thank you. This works locally in the same network. Is there also a way to do this on the WAN? Worldwide through the Internet?

Not without a server for now. 3.0 will allow ad-hoc sharing if you can wait that long...

hfmn
Apr 22, 2009, 11:08 AM
Thank you. But as I understand it, I will still need a server even with SDK3's Push?! Right?

dejo
Apr 22, 2009, 11:10 AM
Thank you. But as I understand it, I will still need a server even with SDK3's Push?! Right?
Correct but Push Notification != Ad-hoc Sharing.

Ice-Cube
Apr 23, 2009, 04:15 AM
WiChat from iTunes has bonjour chatting without the need for a server. You can explore the same path.