PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with Powerbook

Stormyguy
Apr 24, 2004, 03:48 AM
Hi all

I will be heading off abroad on my annual sales trip soon and for the first year I'm taking a laptop! I'm equipped with my new Powerbook G4 (with Airport Extreme card).

I just wondered if anyone had any good tips for travelling - what cables to take, advice on in-aircraft use, wireless connections at airports etc etc etc.

Just anything you've found to be useful I guess?

Thanks in advance! :)

virividox
Apr 24, 2004, 05:13 AM
obviosly your power brick :)

an ethernet cable is handy you may get set up in a place without wifi.

a mouse is always good if u have the space

as for wifi, it depends some places are free, but most require you to pay to use the network, i find it a rip off unless you really need to use it while waiting, but the waits are 2 hours tops unless its a long layover.

as for traveling, keep ur laptop on sleep mode so if security needs to check it out you dont have to wait for it to boot up.

most airlines allow you to use it when they have reached cruising altititude, if you have an in seat power adapter thats great if you have a long flight and plan to be doing a ton of work, otherwise i rarely break out my laptop during the flight, especially long haul ones.

depending on ur seating, be careful with ur laptop because when people lean back it can push ur screen or it might be too tight to work only in economy tho, in biz or 1st this isnt a problem at all

Bear
Apr 24, 2004, 05:44 AM
If you don't have it already, get the "World Travel Adapter Kit" from Apple. It's $39.00 (US) and to quote their website: The World Travel Adapter Kit includes a set of six AC plugs with prongs that fit different electrical outlets around the world. For world travelers, this is the perfect kit to ensure power connectivity in most countries you may travel to. The Kit is designed to work with (and requires) the white portable power adapter that ships with iPod, iBook, or PowerBook G4. The AC plugs included in the World Travel Adapter Kit directly support outlets in North America, Japan, China, United Kingdom, Continental Europe, Korea, Australia, and Hong Kong.

raiste
Apr 24, 2004, 09:17 AM
If you don't have it already, get the "World Travel Adapter Kit" from Apple. It's $39.00 (US) and to quote their website:

It would be nice if this kit also came with the airplane power adapters as well. Though some do use the cig lighter type of plug.

Koodauw
Apr 24, 2004, 11:03 AM
If you plan on watching some DVD's during the flight, and have the extra HD space, I would copy a couple of DVD's to your HD. (software for this can be found on versiontracker.com) HAving them on your HD, will mean not having to have the dvd drive in use for that period, and save on your battery life.

If this isn't already obvious, you should cary-on the laptop, not check it. (even if it is in a suit case say.) My roommate ended up with a nice dent in his PB after a trip once.

aricher
Apr 24, 2004, 12:23 PM
Most airlines don't have "emPower" plug-ins in coach seats. I got the kensington air/auto adapter (roughly $70-80) and have only used it once on 4 flights. Business class and some international flights seem to offer the emPower option more - check with the airlines for availablity.

Without the emPower plug I find having an extra battery invaluable for long overseas flights - I crank out work and watch DVDs. When I'm working I turn the screen brightness down to 1 click - saves on battery power.

I agree with Bear about the Apple brand World Power Adapter Kit - buy it - there are off brands you could buy but Apple's really is the best. I'd almost go as far as saying that you should buy a power inverter - I bought mine at the Rand McNally store here in Chicago for $25. The inverter isn't too heavy and it acts as a surge protector as well!! This I find as a KEY feature as old building overseas have a tendancy to have ancient cloth-wrapped wiring and sketchy power (surges frequently). After I had a battery charger for my dig. camera fry out in Amsterdam I will not use anything other than an inverter esp. with a $4 K PB.

Cables - I bring it all - ethernet, phone cables (though most countries vary on connectors), audio/video, headphones.

Always bring some screen cleaning products with you as well and pack everything in ziplock baggies - that way everything is organized and watertight.

Alte22a
Apr 24, 2004, 12:40 PM
Have a spare battery handy, or even better a couple of spares. Anyone try this? Close the PB pop out the battery, reinsert a another one, open the PB. Carry on working and no need to reboot. Nice. Some one somewhere use to make a Ti dual charger so you can charge 2 batteries at the same time plus using your normal adapter to charge the PB. But cant find it anymore.

items need to pack: Padded slim case, mouse, mini mouse pad. slips in the slip case. adaper travel plugs. Firewire and ethernet cables.

I travel alot to foriegn destinations for work I carry along with my PB a 80GB portable HD for storage and backup, firewire cable, A6 wacom Intuos 2 tablet.

Stormyguy
Apr 26, 2004, 03:05 AM
Hi all

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated. I will be sure to get the travel kit and an in-flight power cable (it's a long flight to Australia)!!!

Thanks again :)