PDA

View Full Version : Little Question Mark folder before OSX boots...

Ryan McCanical
Apr 24, 2004, 08:44 AM
I just bought a 12" powerbook and after using it for 2 days, I get the network icon flashing for about 5 seconds, and then a little OS9 looking folder icon that has a question mark on it for a few more seconds? What does this mean? I would check my manual except that I came home from school for the weekend and left it back at school. Thanks for the help.

jane doe
Apr 24, 2004, 09:15 AM
Shut it off,
Turn on the power, when you hear the chime, hold down command (apple key) option P and R till you hear two more boot chimes

that will take care of that little problem :)

Wes
Apr 24, 2004, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure of the solution above but what I see the problem is that the Mac is trying to do a network boot. In OS X go to System Preferences: Start Up Disk and then select a local drive to boot off.

Edit: Come to think of it zapping the p-ram will probably reset the start-up disk, so your mac may still look for a valid disk on start up, so be sure to check the Start Up Disk preferences.

Macmaniac
Apr 24, 2004, 02:43 PM
A flashing question mark usually means that the computer cannot find a startup folder, this may have changed with Panther on computers which do not have OS 9. Sometimes some computers show this every time, however if your computer gets stuck on a flashing question mark this is bad, either your system is dying or your HD is going.

jane doe
Apr 24, 2004, 02:49 PM
The PRAM is confused on what the startup volume should be when it goes past POST. It goes thru a series of checking IO and then picks the HD.

It's not a failure of a hard drive or anything like that. It's fine. Simply reseting the PRAM or selecting the startup drive in the system preferences should fix it.

Hope this helps you out.