PDA

View Full Version : Apple should buy Adobe, what do you think?

primalman
Apr 24, 2004, 09:31 AM
At first I was kind of against it, but I am now pretty much in the camp of Apple should really look hard at buying adobe, perhaps with a partner, like IBM, for investment money.

If Apple could use the Adobe portfolio to drive sales of more IBM/PPC baced Macs, the incentive on return is there for IBM. Apple's sweet pile of cash could go along way in the deal, plus stocks, plus IBM money and stock, and you got it.

Abode turns good profits, has revenues on the very healthy side, and Apple could leverage the PDF technology further in OS/X. They could also then integrate the video app tech into the current Apple offerings, driving more sales of Apple by dropping some support on the Windows side. They could also boost the rest of the the creative market by pushing Mac-based versions of ID, Illustrator, PS, Acrobat and others over the Windows versions, and even move these into Unix/Linux to push people away from Windows. Plus, the distribution channels tat are in place.

Actually, this is not a bad idea. Adobe is the second largest software company in the world [after you know who], and adding this to Apple's stash of high-end weapons could be a boon to Mac professional and home marketshare. Hmmmmm...

Eniregnat
Apr 24, 2004, 10:52 AM
Perhaps, but it is more likely that Adobe will say "screw Apple" as it did with Premiere as Apple creates and more apps that bight into Adobe's sales. Just my 2cents.

Purchacing Maya form Alias would make more sense.

superbovine
Apr 24, 2004, 11:20 AM
if adobe drops windows support they are dropping 90% of the computer market. the point is to make money.

Les Kern
Apr 24, 2004, 11:31 AM
I'm all for it, if they have the money. If they drop PC support, it will be money tossed out the window, and it woun't happen. Apple has FileMaker, and they continue to offer great stuff to the PC crowd, and they should. It's been admitted by Apple that they really don't want to rule the world, but that being said, the transformation shouldn't be a nuclear explosion, but rather a slow, subtle shift.

MacRAND
Apr 24, 2004, 12:10 PM
Logic stopped being cross-platform once Apple bought it, which doesn't bother me very much since it is not THE kingpen in the audio industory.

Adobe owned by Apple, or Microsoft for that matter, does bother me...a lot.
It's unnatural. It's an anti-trust situation waiting to happen.
If Photoshop suddenly became Mac only and development of Primiere stopped, all hell would break loose.
I am totally against Apple "using" Adobe to promote Macs over PCs. Period.

Now, if Apple loaded every Mac with a full-version of the entire Creative Suite (you can have GoLive, I'm a Macromedia man) like more FREE iApps and installed all the OpenType fonts free in the system Font folder, then it would be alright ...at least until I could purchase a new Mac for my own. Can't you just see the new names:
iInDesign
iPhotoshop
iIllustrator
iGoGirl...I mean iGoLive
iAcrobat

Nah...wouldn't work that way.
Need to promote switching to Apple's Adobe, like a high school cheer GO ADOBE!
Yea... So the new names should be:
GoGoLive
GoAcrobat
GoIllustrator
GoPremiere (maybe change the name to GoOscar!)
GoPhotoshop (and here's where it gets real cool ;) my personal favorite...)
GoinDesign (or, how about Goin2Design :D)

But what would be real fun is for Apple to mess with the WARNINGS in the PC version, like...
"RENDERING...please be patient,
time for a cup of JAVA™ or Mr.TEA™*.
NOTE: if you had a G5 Mac with AltiVec,
this function would already be complete.
Have a Nice Day and a Half :)"

*JAVA™ and Mr.TEA™
are registered trandemarks
of Apple Computers, Inc.

"OUT OF MEMORY
PC: Recommend installation of 2 sticks of 2GB RAM each
CLICK here to go to
http://www.AppleStoreXpensivePCmemory.com
thank you. :)
Mac: Memory allocation has been adjusted,
CLICK here to CONTINUE ;)"

"SORRY, after first 30-days of Use
this feature available only on Mac Version :p
CLICK here to switch software license
CLICK here for http://www.AppleStore.com/hardware "

"UPDATE AVAILABLE from v. 11.7 to 11.8, download Now?
If so, deposit $99 in PayPal for PC version
Mac version - yep, still free. Have a Nice Day! ;)"