Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
NJ
About 3 weeks ago I started getting kernal panic messages almost each and everytime I used my Macbook (1st generation 2.0 Core Duo blackbook).

So I took it to apple for repairs... After running a few tests they determined that my logic board was going bad... so they shipped it off and replaced it.

That did nothing. Within a day the kernal panics came back. So I replaced the RAM. Still nothing...

Now I can't even get it to start up. I press the button and I hear the initial startup sound but thats it. The white light on the bottom right hand side of the macbook just stays lit.

From what I've read in the numerous searches I've done, it seems that this is a hardware issue. If it's not the RAM and it's not the logic board then whats the deal? It doesn't seem to be related to the hard drive. When the computer does work I get a funny skipping in the graphics before it finally freezes.

Any ideas??

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
About 3 weeks ago I started getting kernal panic messages almost each and everytime I used my Macbook (1st generation 2.0 Core Duo blackbook).

So I took it to apple for repairs... After running a few tests they determined that my logic board was going bad... so they shipped it off and replaced it.

That did nothing. Within a day the kernal panics came back. So I replaced the RAM. Still nothing...

Now I can't even get it to start up. I press the button and I hear the initial startup sound but thats it. The white light on the bottom right hand side of the macbook just stays lit.

From what I've read in the numerous searches I've done, it seems that this is a hardware issue. If it's not the RAM and it's not the logic board then whats the deal? It doesn't seem to be related to the hard drive. When the computer does work I get a funny skipping in the graphics before it finally freezes.

Any ideas??

Take it to Apple again. Sounds more like hardware gone bad.

Merser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
NJ
Take it to Apple again. Sounds more like hardware gone bad.

Thanks for the response. Any idea what else can go bad that would cause this? They told me that it is a new processor on a new logic board with new RAM. I guess it could be the hard drive, but even it is only 8 months old. Plus the symptoms don't match up with hard drive problems.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Thanks for the response. Any idea what else can go bad that would cause this? They told me that it is a new processor on a new logic board with new RAM. I guess it could be the hard drive, but even it is only 8 months old. Plus the symptoms don't match up with hard drive problems.

Faulty logic board most possibly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.