PDA

View Full Version : Which is it for MWSF: Apollo G4 or G5?

MacManiac1224
Dec 4, 2001, 02:13 PM
I jest read this article at http://www.maccentral.com:
-------
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/04.motorola.php
---------
It seems a little weird, Motorola announces the Apollo G4 a month before MWSF. Would Apple introduce the Apollo instead of a G5? Or would Motorola even announce the G5 before MWSF? This is very confusing. Meanwhile I have read numerous rumors saying the G5 is on schedule for MWSF. I don't understand. Maybe some of you can shed some light on the subject.

Falleron
Dec 4, 2001, 02:24 PM
Your not the only one that is confused!!!

Maybe:

iMac G4 (Apollo)
PowerBook (Apollo)
PowerMac (G5, 1-1.6Ghz)
iBook (New G3 up to 1Ghz)

I think this is optomostic though!! I think we could see the G5 + OSX.2 in March. Maybe just the Apollo's in January!! Damm

eyelikeart
Dec 4, 2001, 03:22 PM
I'm just gonna wait and see what it is. I can't afford, at the moment, to get it anyway. But I'm still curious if it's gonna be a G5. I wouldn't think it's going to be a faster G4 since Apple just released them. But who knows? Apple has been known to do some crazy stuff in the past!

Falleron
Dec 4, 2001, 03:50 PM
I am pretty sure there will be a new speed bumped G4 (at least to a max of 1Ghz)!! I want a G5 though

Onyxx
Dec 4, 2001, 05:43 PM
As i have feared, all recent events are pointing to a speed bumped G4 (whoopy) and possibly a new iMac. Not looking good for all of us G5 hopefulls. I have made up my mind that I will not buy a G4 so apple won't see a penny from me untill they release those G5's. Come on apple, the G4 is past its prime. Time to stop sqeezing it dry and put that new Generation 5 to use.

Falleron
Dec 4, 2001, 06:01 PM
The article on maccentral did suggest there should be a 30% increase in performance due to a new manufacturing techniques! However, I am with you, we want a G5's!!

MacAztec
Dec 4, 2001, 11:51 PM
No G5. Apple just had a good size speed bump, and i am positive they are going to wait before releaseing the G5

chibianh
Dec 5, 2001, 12:01 AM
Does this mean the Tibook will get a speedbump, too? Or is it different for laptops?

Falleron
Dec 5, 2001, 03:15 AM
Looks like they could! But probably not until febuary

makkii
Dec 7, 2001, 05:18 AM
There may be a new PowerBook announced with a MPC7441 that runs at 700MHz in January. This CPU's core voltage has been lowered 1.5V. So the battery should run say an hour longer

crassusad44
Dec 7, 2001, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Onyxx
As i have feared, all recent events are pointing to a speed bumped G4 (whoopy) and possibly a new iMac. Not looking good for all of us G5 hopefulls. I have made up my mind that I will not buy a G4 so apple won't see a penny from me untill they release those G5's. Come on apple, the G4 is past its prime. Time to stop sqeezing it dry and put that new Generation 5 to use.

According to sources close to Apple Europe there will be new PowerMacs and iMacs available for order in the third week of January. Apple is dead quiet on what the specs might be however, and the reason is probably that few people besides Jobs himself know for certain. With the Apollo chip clocking far beyond 1 Ghz, it's possible we'll «only» see a supercharged G4, although I still hope to see a real G5 in action.
As for the iMac, there will be new models, probably with the new IBM G3 up to 1 Ghz. I don't know about flat-iMacs though. All the rumors I have seen to date have been non-consistent. We'll probably don't know for sure, untill the man himself enter the stage.