Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
So what will the future be? I am guessing that by os 11 apple will introduce a 64 bit version of it, for the g5 of course ;).

Os 12 will be PURE opengl, it will be like a giant game kinda thing. Like instead of 2 dimensional folders in the finder, they will be 3 dimensional. You will be able to push the arrow keys on the keyboard and it will turn the cube over to the next side. That would be a cool effect. The finder will also have support for virtual desktops, 4 different ones in all but will have an option in system prefs for 8 desktops. When you switch desktops it will have a cube type of transition (like fast user switching).

As for the dock...well ........ who knows.....the dock is a mystery.....

I think os 12 will be released around 2012. I think os x will only go up to 10.4 or 5, then will turn to os 11 in 2006 or 2007.

I also think when os 11 is introduced apple will release a touch screen monitor that will be fully compatible with os 11.

As for a little bit of hardware predictions, i think it would be cool if apple released a newton/pda typa thing that has an embedded version of mac os on it.

These are just my thoughts, although i doubt they will come true (just like the astroid that is suppose to kill us all in 2021)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
NusuniAdmin said:
So what will the future be? I am guessing that by os 11 apple will introduce a 64 bit version of it, for the g5 of course ;).

Os 12 will be PURE opengl, it will be like a giant game kinda thing. Like instead of 2 dimensional folders in the finder, they will be 3 dimensional. You will be able to push the arrow keys on the keyboard and it will turn the cube over to the next side. That would be a cool effect. The finder will also have support for virtual desktops, 4 different ones in all but will have an option in system prefs for 8 desktops. When you switch desktops it will have a cube type of transition (like fast user switching).

I think os 12 will be released around 2012. I think os x will only go up to 10.4 or 5, then will turn to os 11 in 2006 or 2007.

I also think when os 11 is introduced apple will release a touch screen monitor that will be fully compatible with os 11.

As for a little bit of hardware predictions, i think it would be cool if apple released a newton/pda typa thing that has an embedded version of mac os on it.

These are just my thoughts, although i doubt they will come true (just like the astroid that is suppose to kill us all in 2021)
The most likely scenario is that we will have MacOS X 10.4 through MacOS X 10.9. At one new version per year, we will likely see MacOS X 10.9 released in 2009. Apple may release MacOS X 11.0 in 20010. It may hold off and release MacOS X 11 in 20011. You can bet the farm that MacOS X 12.0 will not be release anytime near 20012.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Apple may release MacOS X 11.0 in 20010. It may hold off and release MacOS X 11 in 20011

And I though M$ was bad :D

I wouldn't bet on Apple making another PDA, I don't think the PDA market is a place they want to be in

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
NusuniAdmin said:

It's good to have dreams. :)

I personally hope 10.4 will be 3-D, but that might confuse switchers/nwebies/old people. Micro$oft already has a 3-D os, but the name of it escapes me.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
not to mention that there are already hacks to make osx 3d.

All I hope for is Apple supported OSX themes. I've never been up to hacking my system just to make it look different, so more themes would be nice.

cait-sith

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
canada
you'll probably see apple split away from depending on the freebsd project (probably due to a difference of opinions) and implementing a sysv-style clean kernel. sort of like what sun did.

you'll then have classic, and classic x emulation =)

they'll also probably not call this new system MacOS.. it'll have it's own name. Apple's X2 or something.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
I would imagine that we are getting closer to an OS that uses spoken commands. And not like the cruddy implementation we have had since the pre-OS X days...

USER: Computer, tell me a joke.
MAC: (in droning voice) It is 4:00 pee emm.
USER: I said tell me a joke.
MAC: Knock knock.
USER: Who's there?
MAC: It is 4:00 pee emm.

Yes, I imagine a much sexier implementation that actually serves a purpose beyond stupid computer tricks...

USER: Hey, open that file I was working on last night.
MAC: Haven't you done enough damage already?
USER: You think you could do better.
MAC: I already did.
USER: Oh, yeah? (pause) Nice gaussian blur.

Ah, yes. That will be the day.

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
I think they will drop support for classic very soon. Maybe not 10.4, but 10.5

Classic is still the old way, and pretty soon there won't be any non-native apps that need it.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
dukemeiser said:

Classic is still the old way, and pretty soon there won't be any non-native apps that need it.

If you need to use classic, pick up a $40 computer off ebay ;)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
dukemeiser said:

Actually, I don't think it iwll be that soon. What will happen first is that new machines won't come with classic. Sometime after that happens, (Like a couple of years at least probably) Apple will drop classic support in Mac OS X (or whatever they are up to.)

Also, machines that are released and shipped without classic may not be able to run Classic at all. (Even if you had a Classic environment to copy over from another Mac.)

I base this on the way they dropped 9.2.2 boot support on machines, but still shipp Classic.

Remember this is only my speculations, but they sound reasonable.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
NusuniAdmin said:

Touch screen is perhaps a few more years off when prices drop enough...maybe 5 years... maybe longer

I think the iPod will morph into a pda option at the high end

MisterMe said:
The most likely scenario is that we will have MacOS X 10.4 through MacOS X 10.9. At one new version per year, we will likely see MacOS X 10.9 released in 2009. Apple may release MacOS X 11.0 in 20010. It may hold off and release MacOS X 11 in 20011. You can bet the farm that MacOS X 12.0 will not be release anytime near 20012.

Theres no way I'm waiting that long!.... perhaps you needed one less 0 in some of those ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.