PDA

View Full Version : very wierd problem with wireless:serious

abhishekit
Apr 25, 2004, 11:47 AM
Since yesterday my ibook is behaving very strangely..aftr a while the internet stops working..its connected to AE to a dlink router..
and i hvto put it to sleep n wake up, to make it work again. And the signal all the time is good. Even when internet stops workin, it wd show good signal strength. and just by turning airport off and restarting it doesnt help..i have to put the ibook to sleep n wake up to get it work!!! and the time it continues working is like 10-15 mins...so its really pissing me off...

the fact that waking up ibook from sleep, rather than resetting the router makes it work..leads me to beleive that somethn is wrong with the ibook.
i had downloaded the airport update somedays earlier, but the problem only started yesterday evening. so i cant even attribute it to that.anyone has any ideas?
greatly appreciated
thanks

edit: holy crap..it went out as i was writing this post..so now i woke it up from sleep to post this message... :mad:

big
Apr 25, 2004, 12:15 PM
I have an ibook doing the same.... I even reinstalled 10.3 from disk & updated everything. The updates all went fine, until I hit the Airport update..... though that update did wonders for my tiBook

Veldek
Apr 25, 2004, 12:32 PM
There seems to be problems with the last Airport update. I think Apple already pulled it.

abhishekit
Apr 25, 2004, 12:52 PM
so what did you guys do..? how to go back to earlier firmware..?

Sayer
Apr 25, 2004, 02:13 PM
Is there another wireless network appearing along with your wireless router? Did someone start using a wireless device (cordless phone, bluetooth, pirate radio station) nearby the same time you had the problem?

It sounds like you have interference if the problem appeared some time after the *problematic* update to AirPort.

You could try changing AirPort channels in the Admin utility and seeing if it still drops or won't connect.

abhishekit
Apr 25, 2004, 03:32 PM
Sayer: there was no interference..and i read in other forums that other guys also had this problem since that update..so i guess thats the prob then..
i found an article here (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/revert_to_airport3.3.1.html#storytop), which tells how to revert back to airport 3.3.1..n i did that..n its been good since..
thanks guys for your help

Horrortaxi
Apr 25, 2004, 03:39 PM
There seems to be problems with the last Airport update. I think Apple already pulled it.
I just installed it on my cube this morning, so it hasn't been pulled. By the way, I haven't had any new troubles since installing it on the other computers and base station the day it came out--I just have the same old problems.

Powerbook G5
Apr 25, 2004, 03:39 PM
Does anyone know if the last Airport update did anything to 3rd party routers or range? I have a Linksys wireless router and ever since the update, I went from a consistent 90-98% signal strength to about 70-75% max now and my router is generally in the same room as me only a matter of a few feet away.

Westside guy
Apr 25, 2004, 04:50 PM
Hmm... I installed the 3.4 update right around the 19th. I had to check because I haven't experienced any problems, so I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the timing.

It might help pin this down if we all were to compare specifics. From my Powerbook 15" 1.25GHz I'm connecting to 802.11b networks via both D-Link and Linksys routers. I've got 40/64-bit WEP running, SSID turned off, MAC filtering enabled on the D-Link; the Linksys router is has no security enabled (I've got no control over that one, but that's a different story).

Powerbook G5
Apr 25, 2004, 05:30 PM
I am connected by the following:

Bellsouth DSL via Westell Wirespeed modem connected to a Linksys Wireless-B router to my PowerBook G4 1.25 GHz. The modem is setup with ethernet bridge on and DHCP disabled while the router is configured with SSID broadcast off, PPPoE on, channel 10 selected, and WEP off since it never lets me connect whenever I try to set a password (not sure how to use it since the Linksys documentation is lousy). I have the latest Airport setup and ever since updating, my range and signal strength has been pretty much crippled as I previously mentioned. Not sure if it is the update or if somehow something new has started to cause interference with the router.

gemio17
Apr 25, 2004, 06:24 PM
Yep- can't get my linksys to even give me a signal- maybe that update was really a marketing scheme, I was about ten minutes away from selling the linksys to get an airport base station- argh, stupid update.

abhishekit
Apr 25, 2004, 06:27 PM
i have a dlink router, 128 bit wep on, ssid off, mac filtering on..
and really for me it got virtually unworkable coz of connection going aftr every 10 minutes..so as i said earlier too..i reverted back to 3.3.1

gemio17
Apr 25, 2004, 07:48 PM
So I'm trying to follow these instructions below from xlr8yourmac after reverting to 3.3 and am now trying to update to 3.3.1:

"Here's how I got 3.3.1 to install. I opened the Installer program's log window, and then opened the update and the log informed me that one of the plist version numbers had to be 3.3, but was not. This file is /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/ Info.plist. So I opened this file up using pico.
You can do this in the Terminal by typing:
"sudo pico /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/ Info.plist" (without the quotes),
or you can use BBEdit and then scrolling down to where it says:

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>3.4</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>3.4</string>

I changed both strings to 3.3, then hit Control-o and Return to save the changes, and Control-x to exit. And then the 3.3.1 update installed fine."

When I try to open the file in BBEdit, it says I can't change anything coz it's owned by root. In terminal, it says read file error or something like that. Obviously, I haven't done this stuff before-
CAN ANYONE HELP ME??? Thanks.

sc-20ks
Apr 25, 2004, 08:19 PM
how do u post a new forum on here??? :confused:

abhishekit
Apr 25, 2004, 08:29 PM
So I'm trying to follow these instructions below from xlr8yourmac after reverting to 3.3 and am now trying to update to 3.3.1:

"Here's how I got 3.3.1 to install. I opened the Installer program's log window, and then opened the update and the log informed me that one of the plist version numbers had to be 3.3, but was not. This file is /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/ Info.plist. So I opened this file up using pico.
You can do this in the Terminal by typing:
"sudo pico /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/ Info.plist" (without the quotes),
or you can use BBEdit and then scrolling down to where it says:

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>3.4</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>3.4</string>

I changed both strings to 3.3, then hit Control-o and Return to save the changes, and Control-x to exit. And then the 3.3.1 update installed fine."

When I try to open the file in BBEdit, it says I can't change anything coz it's owned by root. In terminal, it says read file error or something like that. Obviously, I haven't done this stuff before-
CAN ANYONE HELP ME??? Thanks.
if u just copy pasted sudo pico /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/ Info.plist then u wd hv to delete the space before Info.plist so it should be
sudo pico /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/Info.plist

but i want to tell u that i reverted back to 3.3.1 and it worked fine fr some hours..but just 5 mins back, it started happening again..i guess i wd have to take it to apple store :mad:

big
Apr 25, 2004, 09:07 PM
Yeah, the only issue I am having is on iBooks (2 of them), with an Airport extreme Base station, my tiBook is fine

gemio17
Apr 25, 2004, 09:41 PM
So it was that space issue, thanks for your help!! It still doesn't work though. So frustrating. Any one have ideas on why the Linksys wireless g broadband router wouldn't work with my 15" alu pb? I have had problems from the start, but the biggest problem that I consistantly have is that the network I created on the linksys site won't show up anywhere, and when I try to connect to it the message "there was a problem joining the network...." shows up. Any one have a problem like this?? At this point I am ready to sell this one and go get the expensive airport base station....see if that'll do the trick.

big
Apr 25, 2004, 09:51 PM
I get "there was a problem joining the network" on one of my iBook's and the Airport Extreme Base Stations and the other says "out of range" constantly.... so its not the base station IMHO

Powerbook G5
Apr 25, 2004, 09:52 PM
Whenever I make a change to my Linksys I get that same error, I have to connect with ethernet and go in and tell it to broadcast the SSID so my PowerBook can see it and then turn it back off once I get a connection. I still cannot figure out for the life of me how the WEP password thing works, though, it just prevents me from using my own router since I have no clue how to join my network when it is turned on and makes me have to go through that process of connecting through ethernet and turning it off and rebroadcasting my SSID to get wireless to work again.

laytonhayes
Apr 25, 2004, 10:25 PM
I am having the same problem with my iBook G4 800 and a Netgear "g" router, the connection keeps dropping and the computer assigns an ip. This all started after I updated to 3.4. The range seems to be less also. Hopefully Apple will remedy this problem soon.

gemio17
Apr 25, 2004, 10:50 PM
Thanks all- nice to know it's not just me, I feel a lot less stupid now! :D
I just really hate this giant wire that I've had to resort back to....

areyouwishing
Apr 26, 2004, 02:19 PM
I don't get a dropped IP or anything, but I am having MASSIVE slowdown problems, I think Im going to try the 3.3.1 fix.

Powerbook G5
Apr 26, 2004, 02:22 PM
It seems like everyone is having different issues. Some are having IP dropouts, some are having degraded speed, some are having no signal at all, and I am having decreased signal strength. I wonder if all these are the result of the update or just random issues each of us are having that don't actually relate.

areyouwishing
Apr 26, 2004, 02:25 PM
It seems like everyone is having different issues. Some are having IP dropouts, some are having degraded speed, some are having no signal at all, and I am having decreased signal strength. I wonder if all these are the result of the update or just random issues each of us are having that don't actually relate.

This most DEFINITELY has to do with the update, i forgot to mention I also have less of a signal now.

abhishekit
Apr 26, 2004, 03:21 PM
areyouwishing: 3.3.1 didnot solve the problem for me. But anyways you can try...i finally did archive and install..and did not install the 3.4 update..

cheers

abhishekit
Apr 26, 2004, 04:53 PM
k guys..airport 3.4.1 is out..can someone whoz having problems check it out n see if it works ok..coz i just did archive n install ,,dont wanna **** it up again :D

thanks

Powerbook G5
Apr 26, 2004, 05:08 PM
I just installed it and now my signal strength is back up to 90% range.