Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simseema17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
If you have one, do you like it? What do you like about it?

I have a blackberry w/verizon, and don't have the option of an iPhone right now....

and I lost my nano, so I was debating getting a Touch Vs. a Nano

I guess I'm kind of on the fence on which to buy....my main interest is getting my music back....

I'm wondering if I'm paying the extra money for the applications then, and if so, what are they/why are they good?

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I would go with a new Nano. To me, the Touch is simply a second-rate, slimmed down iPhone that Apple don't really care about. However, with a Nano, not only do you get a very, very small form factor with a high capacity, you also get the ease of use that the Touch and iPhone have left behind. The simply interface with the quick loading music is what pushed me in the direction of a Nano, and the latest model in particular is beautifully finished, and very durable.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Don't listen to the above post. A refurbished iPod touch (latest generation) will cost around the same as a 16GB Nano. It has more functions (most apps are free) than a Nano. Radio, games, weather, stocks, INTERNET BROWSER(important), and of course, touch capabilities. The iPod touch is also the best selling (number 1 at the Apple Online Store) iPod. You can do so much more with an iPod touch than you can with a Nano. There are apps for nearly everything. You can also browse the internet with WiFi. You can also receive email and take notes. There's also a free SMS text app (save your texts while at home, assuming you have WiFi). There are cheap games that cost a few bucks and are very fun. Just go to a store and check out both iPods. About 9 of my friends recently got new iPods. 8 of them got the iPod touch. One of them bought the 16GB Nano in green, which is nearly the same price. Oh, and another 3 friends got iPhones (original and 3G).

If you don't want apps, the iPod touch can still play music and still has more functions (internet browser) than a Nano. At roughly the same cost and a little bigger form factor.

EDIT: ATM, there are roughly 35,000 (that's right, thousand) apps in the App Store. Majority of them are quality apps and FREE.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I'm in the iPod touch camp. You can get a used one for a very good price, and it's far more flexible (and has a wonderful interface - much slicker and easier to use than the Classic/Nano interfaces IMO) than any of the other iPods.

The apps? Tons of 'em. With the applications I have, my touch is almost a replacement for my laptop (almost, I said). I can play games, watch movies and TV shows, view photos, listen to music, take notes, surf the Internet, check my email, listen to radio, track my gas expenses/mileage/so on, and more.

Go for the touch. I don't think you'll regret it. :)

jimf123

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Ipod Touch

With all the talk of a new Iphone in the wings, is there any evidence of a new Ipod Touch in the next few months ? I notice this site advises "Don't Buy" in the Buyers Guide section...

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
With all the talk of a new Iphone in the wings, is there any evidence of a new Ipod Touch in the next few months ? I notice this site advises "Don't Buy" in the Buyers Guide section...

If Apple holds to their historical release dates, they won't release another iPod touch for at least five months - both of the previous releases were in September.

Montanatouch

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2009
itouch

I live in Montana and iphone isn't here yet. My next best option was itouch. I KNOW some call it ipod-touch but I call it itouch.
I LOVE it.:) I recently traveled on a trip to Seattle. I was able to get on on any wireless connection all over the whole trip. My sister has an iphone . We were able to exchange contacts via the BUMP app...http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/eric2_0/2009/03/new-iphone-app-works-by-bump-not-touch.html

VERY cool! Not sure how that bump works but itouch ..is better than the invention of sliced bread.:D

GET one

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I can't believe there is a debate, if you have the funds go with the Touch, you'll never look back.

Nano's are GREAT music players- but that's it. Yeah yo ucan do a bit more with it but not much.

iPod touch is unbelievable. You'll find new uses all the time for it.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
iPod touch is the way to go. You have internet, mail, music, videos, movies, applications for just about everything you can think of. And then just look at the screen and see how sharp and clear it is.
Sold.

apple4life

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2004
iPod Touch...

No one's mentioned using the touch for exercising with Nike+ built in. I don't know if the new Nano's has the receiver built in or if you need the adapter. With the touch all you need is the shoe "chip." I use it all the time and wouldn't run as much if I didn't have it. You can track your workouts online too and there's even a Nike+ screen saver that I started using that has a "Mini me." It's happy when I'm working out regularly and gets bummed when I don't for awhile....

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is purchasing on eBay with a Live.com cashback. Right now it's 14%. I purchased my 32gb touch in early December for $360, free shipping, and 25% cashback.... It definitely helped.

And as everyone has said, games, apps, music (genious, DJ, APPLE REMOTE!!), videos, movies, tv shows, audio books, podcasts both audio and video, internet, photos......

Actually no one mentioned apple remote which is super, super cool. It's an app so the Nano wouldn't have it.

EDIT: I just verified at Apple.com that the iPod Nano needs the receiver to use Nike+, which is built into the iPod Touch. And you'd imagine there will be other uses for the built in bluetooth? in the upcoming 3.0 update....

Theaser

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
If Apple holds to their historical release dates, they won't release another iPod touch for at least five months - both of the previous releases were in September.

It's believed they would have a capacity bump around this time like last year with the iPhones/iPod Touch. As well as a 3.0 software update coming up in June/July. All of you 1st/2nd gen iPod Touch owners, 10 bucks for that software update.

I regret getting a Nano instead of the Touch. That's why I got the iPhone instead, the apps are incredible. Everyday, a new app comes up, and it does things that would make your life easier or creative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.