PDA

View Full Version : How would this setup be? 09 MP

Jazojas12
Apr 24, 2009, 04:13 PM
I'm in the market for a new mac. I've spent hours reading everything on these forums but a lot of threads seem to go off topic when people argue about stuff. I'm curious as to how this setup would be? This would be used for video/picture editing, web browsing, storage and home theater playback. If you have any positive advice it will be appreciated.

New 09 Mac Pro
2.93 GHz Quad
*Upgrade to 8GB of RAM: OWC RAM (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/85MP3E2M08GK/)
640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
*Add (3) Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
One 18x SuperDrive
*Add LG GGW-H20L 6x Blu-ray Drive With LightScribe

My goal with the Blu-ray would be to run boot camp, backup my BD movies to an ISO with NO DRM via AnyDVD-HD then use VLC player to play the DRM free ISO in Leopard. The MP would be connected to a 52" Samsung 1080p LN52A650 HDTV for viewing using DVI to HDMI adapter. Then use the TOSLINK output ports to connect to Pioneer VSX-1019AH for 5.1 audio.

Again if there would be any problems with this setup please recommend something that would work for what I want to do. Thanks in advance.

VirtualRain
Apr 24, 2009, 04:31 PM
I'm in the market for a new mac. I've spent hours reading everything on these forums but a lot of threads seem to go off topic when people argue about stuff. I'm curious as to how this setup would be? This would be used for video/picture editing, web browsing, storage and home theater playback. If you have any positive advice it will be appreciated.

New 09 Mac Pro
2.93 GHz Quad
*Upgrade to 8GB of RAM: OWC RAM (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/85MP3E2M08GK/)
640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
*Add (3) Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
One 18x SuperDrive
*Add LG GGW-H20L 6x Blu-ray Drive With LightScribe

My goal with the Blu-ray would be to run boot camp, backup my BD movies to an ISO with NO DRM via AnyDVD-HD then use VLC player to play the DRM free ISO in Leopard. The MP would be connected to a 52" Samsung 1080p LN52A650 HDTV for viewing using DVI to HDMI adapter. Then use the TOSLINK output ports to connect to Pioneer VSX-1019AH for 5.1 audio.

Again if there would be any problems with this setup please recommend something that would work for what I want to do. Thanks in advance.

That system will rock! I'm a bit biased, but I think the 2.93 Quad is the best machine.

I considered 8GB but opted for 6GB from Apple (which is reasonably priced) with the intent of going to 12GB when 4GB sticks come down (in a year?).

Have you considered one or two SSD's for your boot/apps? I'm going with a pair of 80GB Intel SSD's in RAID0 after the price drop hits next week. I'll use my factory 1TB drive for archiving video projects. I also have a 500GB Time Capsule for backups and my iTunes library.

Jazojas12
Apr 24, 2009, 04:44 PM
It actually did not cross my mind. I'm going to look into it though, hopefully benefits outweigh the cost :)

dvince2
Apr 25, 2009, 04:41 PM
Thats pretty sick. I second holding off on the ram though. I've just left mine at the stock 3gb, knowing that in less than a year the prices should drop as more and more pcs use ddr3 ram.
What would yield better performance for apps? an SSD or a velociraptor?

Jazojas12
Apr 26, 2009, 04:18 AM
Yeah maybe, we'll see once I get it. If it's fast enough I'll keep it stock. I checked into the SSD's. I like the Intel x-25 ones, but they're like $400 haha. Again...I think I keep it stock until they come down in price.

Mac Husky
Apr 26, 2009, 06:35 AM
Have you considered one or two SSD's for your boot/apps? I'm going with a pair of 80GB Intel SSD's in RAID0 after the price drop hits next week.
Intel guys are not going to make a giveaway out of it :D
Itīs just a price drop of 13% ;)

By the way: does the blu-ray drive able you to burn HD films on it (via Final Cut Express) to see them on TV screen using another blu-ray player?

Tesselator
Apr 26, 2009, 07:27 AM
The 52" Samsung 1080p LN52A650 HDTV is your only monitor?

I hope you're only watching movies with this system then.

Jazojas12
Apr 26, 2009, 01:46 PM
By the way: does the blu-ray drive able you to burn HD films on it (via Final Cut Express) to see them on TV screen using another blu-ray player?
As far as I know you are able to burn HD movies, I don't believe you can if they have any protection though.

The 52" Samsung 1080p LN52A650 HDTV is your only monitor?

I hope you're only watching movies with this system then.

I will have a dedicated monitor but the TV will be for movies. Not quite sure what monitor yet, still have to get the MP haha.