PDA

View Full Version : Sox Sweep Yanks

Pages : [1] 2

keysersoze
Apr 25, 2004, 04:44 PM
... and have taken 6 of 7 from the Bombers this year. Sure it's only April, but it's been a GREAT one so far!

Oh... and in case anyone forgot?

The Yankees Suck.

:)

Counterfit
Apr 25, 2004, 06:08 PM
AAAAHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

*breathes*

BWAAHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!! :D :D :D :D

I can't wait to rub this in my roommate's face! :D

miloblithe
Apr 25, 2004, 06:10 PM
Go Red Sox!

Actually, the one game I go see up in Boston is the only one the Sox have lost so far to the Yankees. Clearly, I should just watch on TV. (Saves money too).

keysersoze
Apr 25, 2004, 06:30 PM
What I have found interesting is not that the Red Sox have played great (although their bullpen has been spectacular) but how absolutely HORRIBLE the Yankees have played.

Jason Giambi? Hello? You still play?
All the errors? (Kev Brown with 2 in ONE game?)
Jeter is 0 for his last 25???

Current batting averages (yeah OnBasedPercentage is all the rage-- I don't care):

NYYANKEES
TODAY 4.25.04
SEASON BATTING AVERAGE
D Jeter SS .175
B Williams CF .167
A Rodriguez 3B .257
J Giambi 1B .204
G Sheffield RF .265
J Posada C .281
H Matsui LF .262
R Sierra DH .194
E Wilson 2B .167
a-T Lee PH .105
M Cairo 2B .300

George must be PISSED.

idkew
Apr 25, 2004, 07:10 PM
and the cubs just swept the mets

chicago kicks new york's ass!

btw- the cubs game today was a 2 hitter! go cubs!

pivo6
Apr 25, 2004, 07:20 PM
... and have taken 6 of 7 from the Bombers this year. Sure it's only April, but it's been a GREAT one so far!

Oh... and in case anyone forgot?

The Yankees Suck.

*Yawn*

You're right, it's only April.

BTW, I'm a Cubs fan and could care less about either New York or Boston.

keysersoze
Apr 25, 2004, 07:26 PM
*Yawn*

You're right, it's only April.

BTW, I'm a Cubs fan and could care less about either New York or Boston.

And I could care less about the Cubs. If you want to write about them, start your own thread.

Oh- The Yankees?
They Suck.

gwuMACaddict
Apr 25, 2004, 07:28 PM
oh i def enjoyed it... baltimore was on top of the AL east for the first time in like 6 years... :D its a shame that had to end with our losses to toronto... booo

:p

MongoTheGeek
Apr 25, 2004, 07:40 PM
Where's Bucky Dent when you need him?

I heard on the radio that the Pirates were doing better than the Yanks.

*sigh*

Sparky's
Apr 25, 2004, 07:47 PM
The Red Sox are the most popular choice to win it all, getting 12 of the 40 votes. The Cubs and Yankees got seven each as World Series winners.

The Cubs got 17 votes to win the NL pennant, followed by 10 by their divisional rivals, the Houston Astros.

In the AL, Boston got 19 votes to nine for the Yankees.

And the votes in....
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040425/COLUMNISTS0604/404250485/1113/SPORTS

GO SOX!!!

pivo6
Apr 25, 2004, 07:54 PM
And I could care less about the Cubs. If you want to write about them, start your own thread.

Oh- The Yankees?
They Suck.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. It's baseball in April, who cares.

Have you picked out your spot for the World Series parade yet?

Freg3000
Apr 25, 2004, 08:08 PM
Yes, it is April.

And as a Yankee fan, I'd like to remind you that the forces of the universe are a bit stronger than 6 out of 7 games. I'm sure there have been times like this in the past....and nothing has come of it.

Oh yes-Red Sox suck. :D And Johnny Damon in particular....anyone want to introduce that man to a pair of scissors....or a razor?

Baseball-the American pastime. I love it.

idkew
Apr 25, 2004, 08:16 PM

Oh- The Yankees?
They Suck.

didn't realize you owned this thread.

GO CUBS!

djbahdow01
Apr 25, 2004, 08:25 PM

Have you picked out your spot for the World Series parade yet?

Baseball anytime of the year is great when your a Red Sox fan, as long as they are winning. Even in the off season when we see all the good things Theo did with the team. All i have to say is i can't wait till i get to Boston on the 22nd of May, first time in Fenway in like 4 years. Gonna be a great one.

I personally am a Baseball fan first and a Red Sox fan, i just love baseball, and its even better when the Sox are winning. 6 Out of 7 is great, 12 more regular season games to go against the Yanks. I can't wait for Nomar and Trot to come back, it will make them that much stronger.

Awimoway
Apr 25, 2004, 08:42 PM
AAAAHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

*breathes*

BWAAHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!! :D :D :D :D

I can't wait to rub this in my roommate's face! :D

Scrolling slowly down on my little 12" iBook screen, this post was HI-Larious. You made my day.

I am a baseball fan first and a Yankee-hater second. But I have no doubts that the Yankees are too talented to remain in this much of a funk all season. Although the Lakers are the Yankees of the NBA and not the other way around, it seems that Yankees may be taking a page from the Lakers' book: sucking early and slowly improving just in time to make the postseason and the finals. Great athletes time their peaks. I don't think the Yankees are deliberately trying to play this lousy, but I'm not going to get hopeful that they will play this horribly all season.

keysersoze
Apr 25, 2004, 08:44 PM

I guess I didn't make MYSELF clear...the Sox swept the Yankees.

...So I think a LOT of Red Sox fans care about baseball in April!

keysersoze
Apr 25, 2004, 08:45 PM
didn't realize you owned this thread.

GO CUBS!

Oh, come on now. I don't want to fight with a cubs fan.

Any Yankees fans out there?

keysersoze
Apr 25, 2004, 08:50 PM
I can't wait for Nomar and Trot to come back, it will make them that much stronger.

It's crazy how well they are doing, even though they are missing two of their BIG pieces. I can't wait til they are all together. I have actually been quite impressed with Bellhorn and Reece. Those guys are great defensive players... and did you see Mirabelli's 2 homeruns vs. toronto? And he only plays when he has to catch for Wakefield! Talk about a reserve! They will be unstoppable this year.

djbahdow01
Apr 25, 2004, 09:05 PM
Oh BTW did you guys see the picture of Curt Schilling on Page 2 on ESPN.com a few days ago.
He had a great hat on, it had YH in Red Sox colors. I was wondering if any of you guys in New England could tell me where i could find the hat online as i am nowhere near New England at the moment.

Freakk123
Apr 25, 2004, 09:11 PM
I live in the Bronx, and yet just like most of my friends who live here, I hate the Yankees. But my friends outside the bronx love them. Go figure. So tomorrow, I'll have something to laugh at people about in school. Jeter is in an 0-25 slump, which is the worst of his career. Basically because I hate the Yankees, the Red Sox have become my 3rd or 4th favorite team. So tomorrow should be great... ;)

keysersoze
Apr 25, 2004, 09:20 PM
Oh BTW did you guys see the picture of Curt Schilling on Page 2 on ESPN.com a few days ago.
He had a great hat on, it had YH in Red Sox colors. I was wondering if any of you guys in New England could tell me where i could find the hat online as i am nowhere near New England at the moment.

You can find all Yankee Hater stuff at yankeeshater.com :D

Don't believe me? Check this out!

http://www.yankeeshater.com/

keysersoze
Apr 25, 2004, 09:23 PM
I live in the Bronx, and yet just like most of my friends who live here, I hate the Yankees. But my friends outside the bronx love them. Go figure. So tomorrow, I'll have something to laugh at people about in school. Jeter is in an 0-25 slump, which is the worst of his career. Basically because I hate the Yankees, the Red Sox have become my 3rd or 4th favorite team. So tomorrow should be great... ;)

You are a pilgrim in an unholy land... It's good you have friends in the same boat.... hang in there...and have fun with Jeter's OhFerTwentyfive.

Koodauw
Apr 25, 2004, 10:36 PM
Oh yes-Red Sox suck. :D And Johnny Damon in particular....anyone want to introduce that man to a pair of scissors....or a razor?

Baseball-the American pastime. I love it.

Freg3000, that was Hilarious. I laughed for a good while.

You BoSux fans crack me up.

Let me explain something to you........................ 1918!!!!

I have more points I can make, but thats really the only one I need to make.

MacFan26
Apr 25, 2004, 11:34 PM
And Johnny Damon in particular....anyone want to introduce that man to a pair of scissors....or a razor?

As much as I'm a huge sox fan, I must agree with you about his hair. One of my friends thinks he looks like Jesus :eek:

djbahdow01
Apr 26, 2004, 12:10 AM
As much as I'm a huge sox fan, I must agree with you about his hair. One of my friends thinks he looks like Jesus :eek:

I got a good look at Damon over Spring Training over in Ft. Myers and everyone around me was thinking we had Jesus in the outfield. He definately has the look.

djbahdow01
Apr 26, 2004, 12:13 AM
You can find all Yankee Hater stuff at yankeeshater.com :D

Don't believe me? Check this out!

http://www.yankeeshater.com/

Thanks for the link, im gonna order me one right away. Wish i knew what the sizes were medium and large??

MacNut
Apr 26, 2004, 12:29 AM
I guess I didn't make MYSELF clear...the Sox swept the Yankees.

...So I think a LOT of Red Sox fans care about baseball in April!

The only thing the Red Sux need is the World Series to be played in April and maybe they would win it, of course they would have to get past the Orioles so maybe they still wouldn't win the pennet even if it was in April :p :rolleyes:

MacNut
Apr 26, 2004, 12:36 AM
I got a good look at Damon over Spring Training over in Ft. Myers and everyone around me was thinking we had Jesus in the outfield. He definately has the look.

So Jesus is a Red Sux fan, we all know that God is a Yankee fan or Babe Ruth is really God, what else could explain the curse, oh one more thing, 1918 have a nice day. :D May the power of George be with you.

djbahdow01
Apr 26, 2004, 12:39 AM
The only thing the Red Sux need is the World Series to be played in April and maybe they would win it, of course they would have to get past the Orioles so maybe they still wouldn't win the pennet even if it was in April :p :rolleyes:

You must be from the NY side of CT, as i am from the Boston side of CT. Considering the Sox are in 1st place they seem to be all set right now. Also they are without 2 of their starters at the moment and doing just fine. The Yanks have all of their "All-Stars" and are not doing as well as they probably should. They will get better, but the Sox will too. Can't wait to see Brown get hurt for the first time. The only thing that will hurt the Yanks this year is pitching, too many DL's waiting to happen. Same thing can happen to the Sox so we shall all see how this year works out for all. It would be nice to see a non-Yankees post season for a change tho.

MacNut
Apr 26, 2004, 12:42 AM
You must be from the NY side of CT, as i am from the Boston side of CT. Considering the Sox are in 1st place they seem to be all set right now. Also they are without 2 of their starters at the moment and doing just fine. The Yanks have all of their "All-Stars" and are not doing as well as they probably should. They will get better, but the Sox will too. Can't wait to see Brown get hurt for the first time. The only thing that will hurt the Yanks this year is pitching, too many DL's waiting to happen. Same thing can happen to the Sox so we shall all see how this year works out for all. It would be nice to see a non-Yankees post season for a change tho.

Actually right near Hartford, so its more of a war zone

djbahdow01
Apr 26, 2004, 12:42 AM
May the power of George be with you.

So George can buy all the players he wants. It doesn't give you team chemistry like the sox have. They didn't lose anybody important from last year. The Yanks did, and the revolving door is going to spin around and kick them in the @$$ sometime, and its looking like it could be soon.

MacNut
Apr 26, 2004, 12:44 AM
Looks like the rats have come out to play :p

djbahdow01
Apr 26, 2004, 12:44 AM
Actually right near Hartford, so its more of a war zone

Yeah your in a tight spot there, then again in New London they are pretty much diehard Yankee fans, and thats east of Hartford, im just glad i don't live down there.

djbahdow01
Apr 26, 2004, 12:46 AM
Looks like the rats have come out to play :p

I just love the rivalry, you don't get this anywhere else in sports, at least not at this level. Reminds me of my high school days playing ball where the next town over was the worst enemy.

MacNut
Apr 26, 2004, 12:50 AM
I just love the rivalry, you don't get this anywhere else in sports, at least not at this level. Reminds me of my high school days playing ball where the next town over was the worst enemy.

This is true, nothing beats the Yankees/Red Sux rivalry

McCord9
Apr 26, 2004, 01:32 AM
The only thing the "Yankees Suck" is the hope out of Boston every October. All I see in the books since the curse is 26-0. That right 26-0. No way to refute that one...sorry.

Awimoway
Apr 26, 2004, 02:04 AM
The only thing the "Yankees Suck" is the hope out of Boston every October. All I see in the books since the curse is 26-0. That right 26-0. No way to refute that one...sorry.

Ancient history. :p

McCord9
Apr 26, 2004, 02:13 AM
Yes the Yankees do have an ancient history....as well as a present one of winning pennants and championships, something that will always remain foreign to the Red Sox.

BUCKNER E-3 :rolleyes:

MacNut
Apr 26, 2004, 02:35 AM
Way to go Billy, but don't forget about Bucky :p

King Cobra
Apr 26, 2004, 07:00 AM
Any Yankees fans out there?

Yeah, we give everyone a break until we get to the series. Everyone knows the regular season doesn't count anyways. http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

keysersoze
Apr 26, 2004, 07:35 AM
Yeah, we give everyone a break until we get to the series. Everyone knows the regular season doesn't count anyways.

hmm... I bet George thinks the regular season counts, considering he's shelling out $180M+ for a bunch of underachievers.

And did you give the Marlins a break last year? I seem to remember them BEATING the Yankees.

Just to remind you, Jeter's currently Ohferhislasttwentyfive.

djbahdow01
Apr 26, 2004, 08:15 AM
hmm... I bet George thinks the regular season counts, considering he's shelling out $180M+ for a bunch of underachievers.

And did you give the Marlins a break last year? I seem to remember them BEATING the Yankees.

Just to remind you, Jeter's currently Ohferhislasttwentyfive.

That was a great series, i am glad i was part of it(Game 4). Being down in Miami doesn't give me the same feel of Red Sox Nation as the fans only came out last year for the Marlins over the postseason. For RSN its a year round affair. This year is a little different tho they had 41,000+ at Saturdays game against the Braves.

keysersoze
Apr 26, 2004, 08:31 AM
That was a great series, i am glad i was part of it(Game 4). Being down in Miami doesn't give me the same feel of Red Sox Nation as the fans only came out last year for the Marlins over the postseason. For RSN its a year round affair. This year is a little different tho they had 41,000+ at Saturdays game against the Braves.

I have been a bit surprised at how well the Marlins have gotten out of the gate this year... having lost Pudge and all. I guess I also have memories of the firesale after the 97 season.... but it's great that fans have started to support them. There young pitchers deserve a lot of credit.

Koodauw
Apr 26, 2004, 10:27 AM
I have been a bit surprised at how well the Marlins have gotten out of the gate this year... having lost Pudge and all. I guess I also have memories of the firesale after the 97 season.... but it's great that fans have started to support them. There young pitchers deserve a lot of credit.

Come on guys. No one cares about the Marlins, I mean really, no one cares about the marlins. With the exception of maybe the 5,000 season ticket holders that come to the games.

Lets stay focused here. Sox v. Yankees.

keysersoze
Apr 26, 2004, 10:49 AM
Come on guys. No one cares about the Marlins, I mean really, no one cares about the marlins. With the exception of maybe the 5,000 season ticket holders that come to the games.

Lets stay focused here. Sox v. Yankees.

OK... back to the topic at hand...

The Yankees Suck!

Freakk123
Apr 26, 2004, 03:22 PM
OK... back to the topic at hand...

The Yankees Suck!

Keyser Soze... What a great name... But to the topic at hand, the suckiness of the Yankees: I'll drink to that!

MacNut
Apr 26, 2004, 03:27 PM
Well it could be worse Freakk, you could be a Mets fan :eek: :p

Freakk123
Apr 26, 2004, 03:33 PM
Been there, done that... ;)

King Cobra
Apr 26, 2004, 03:39 PM
Well it could be worse...you could be a Mets fan :eek: :p

LOL!!

You could have argued about the Diamondbacks making a bigger impact in the 2002 World Series in a similar manner -- a Yankees loss, since they scored double-digit runs at home. (Damn, and I'm not a sports geek, nor care to be one!)

And we decide when to give the other teams breaks. It's just that we haven't made as many decisions as before. http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

MacNut
Apr 26, 2004, 03:43 PM
(Damn, and I'm not a sports geek, nor care to be one!)

Not sports geek we are Fanatics :p

keysersoze
Apr 26, 2004, 03:54 PM
And we decide when to give the other teams breaks. It's just that we haven't made as many decisions as before. [/IMG]

But you didn't comment on Jeter's ohfertwentyfive drought...

Has he decided he just doesn't want to hit?
Or has he not decided that he does, in fact, want to hit?

Ambrose Chapel
Apr 26, 2004, 05:19 PM
i went to the game last saturday up here, schilling vs mussina...manny hit one over the monster.

i'm actually a reformed yankee fan. i was born in the bronx and lived in nyc til a couple of years ago. i moved here and gradually became a sox fan. it was easy to root for the yanks in the late 90s - they were a pretty good group of guys. cone, o'neill, brosius, joe girardi. now the boss has gone nuts with his fantasy squad...i think the AL needs a new rep in the Series...and i think the olde town team will do

Counterfit
Apr 26, 2004, 05:46 PM
Scrolling slowly down on my little 12" iBook screen, this post was HI-Larious. You made my day. Glad I could help :D

And in regards to Damon, I'm sorry that the Red Sox allow players to do something different in terms of player appearance, not like the cookie-cutter Skankees*

*: I only use this term after someone uses "Red Sux"

King Cobra
Apr 26, 2004, 05:49 PM
But you didn't comment on Jeter's ohfertwentyfive drought...

I didn't because it took me until just now to figure out what the hell "ohfertwentyfive" was supposed to mean...

This extends beyond my knowledge, but there have been non-Yankees batters that have also gone through 0 for 25 (or 24, or 26, or whatever twenty) slumps. So Jeter isn't the only person to be singled out.

keysersoze
Apr 26, 2004, 06:12 PM
I didn't because it took me until just now to figure out what the hell "ohfertwentyfive" was supposed to mean...

This extends beyond my knowledge, but there have been non-Yankees batters that have also gone through 0 for 25 (or 24, or 26, or whatever twenty) slumps. So Jeter isn't the only person to be singled out.

:D

BUT...I would be willing to bet that Derek Jeter is the only one of those players making $17M per year...

Koodauw
Apr 26, 2004, 10:46 PM
i'm actually a reformed yankee fan. i was born in the bronx and lived in nyc til a couple of years ago. i moved here and gradually became a sox fan.

Your a reformed something alright, but I don't know if I could consider you ever a yankees fan.

No true Yankees Fan becomes a BoSux fan EVER!

And btw, Manny still would rather be a Yankee than BoSox.

djbahdow01
Apr 26, 2004, 10:51 PM
And btw, Manny still would rather be a Yankee than BoSox.

I don't think Manny wants to play anywhere else other than Boston, after seeing him in Spring Training he was the happiest i have ever seen him. The only way i think he would play for the yankees would be if George gave him like 28 mil a year.

MacNut
Apr 26, 2004, 11:45 PM
Im suprised that Manny even knows where he is. :rolleyes:

MacNut
Apr 26, 2004, 11:48 PM
i went to the game last saturday up here, schilling vs mussina...manny hit one over the monster.

i'm actually a reformed yankee fan. i was born in the bronx and lived in nyc til a couple of years ago. i moved here and gradually became a sox fan. it was easy to root for the yanks in the late 90s - they were a pretty good group of guys. cone, o'neill, brosius, joe girardi. now the boss has gone nuts with his fantasy squad...i think the AL needs a new rep in the Series...and i think the olde town team will do

A reformed Yankee fan is one thing, a born again Red Sox fan is out of the question. Don't discrace the pinstripes like that. You of all people should know that.

keysersoze
Apr 27, 2004, 08:27 AM
A reformed Yankee fan is one thing, a born again Red Sox fan is out of the question. Don't discrace the pinstripes like that. You of all people should know that.

Welcome to the light side, Ambrose Chapel! The Force is now with you.

jiggie2g
Apr 27, 2004, 08:56 AM
ALL you Stupid Red Sox Fans are Losers , but go ahead have your lil moral victory because it is the only one u all will have, at the end of the day when the smoke clears Boston will have choked when it counted the most and still be with out a championship. Just do one thing Losers WIN IN SEPTEMBER ...this is just Practice boys we are going soft on u, setting you up for another heartbreaker in the ALCS. don't worry Nomar and Pedro can find a home in the Bronx this winter during free agency.

This is no Different then what the BLOW SOX have been doing for the last 100yrs, do great in the Reg season then Choke in the Pennant.

LOSERS MAY U BE BLINDED BY THE GLARE OF OUR CHAMPIONSHIP RING.

.......The Curse Lives on ................GO YANKEES.

Counterfit
Apr 27, 2004, 10:17 AM
And just what would the Skankees do with Nomar? Have him play second? They'd have the three best shortstops in the league and be wasting the talents of two of them :rolleyes:

Oh, and I doubt that Pedro would end up playing for them too, after all that hubbub last year...

Ambrose Chapel
Apr 27, 2004, 03:34 PM
as i said, it was easy to root for the yankees during their 90s run - good people, good players, a mix of stars and role players that played interesting and exciting ball: hit and run, moving the runner over, all that good stuff. then they lose in the bottom of the 9th in game 7 and george takes control from the people who knew what they were doing and brings in all these big stat players, to hell with character. i have no interest in fantasy baseball.

the sox, otoh, do play like this now. very fun to watch. and except for pedro, who's a bit too primadonna for me, they seem like a good bunch to root for. i imagine if they still had carl everett i'd be a bit turned off. i don't understand this irrational hatred fans here have of the yankees, however. it almost means more to hate the yankees than root fror the sox. while i understand the history, really, get over it, people.

:cool:

keysersoze
Apr 27, 2004, 06:12 PM
ALL you Stupid Red Sox Fans are Losers...

SOMEONE's a little sensitive.... is it because

The Yankees Suck!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

MacNut
Apr 27, 2004, 09:12 PM
as i said, it was easy to root for the yankees during their 90s run - good people, good players, a mix of stars and role players that played interesting and exciting ball: hit and run, moving the runner over, all that good stuff. then they lose in the bottom of the 9th in game 7 and george takes control from the people who knew what they were doing and brings in all these big stat players, to hell with character. i have no interest in fantasy baseball.

the sox, otoh, do play like this now. very fun to watch. and except for pedro, who's a bit too primadonna for me, they seem like a good bunch to root for. i imagine if they still had carl everett i'd be a bit turned off. i don't understand this irrational hatred fans here have of the yankees, however. it almost means more to hate the yankees than root fror the sox. while i understand the history, really, get over it, people.

:cool:

You don't get the idea of the rivalry, its been a dog fight for decades since Babe Ruth was traded. The fact is that you are either born a Yankee or a Red Sox fan, you can't switch because the other team looks better, Talk to any Boston fan and they will tell you never root for the Yankees just as Yankee fans will never root for the Sox. Its principal and its how you are brought up in the Northeast.

PS the Yankees are hitting again thanks to the A's

MacNut
Apr 27, 2004, 09:20 PM
And just what would the Skankees do with Nomar? Have him play second? They'd have the three best shortstops in the league and be wasting the talents of two of them :rolleyes:

Oh, and I doubt that Pedro would end up playing for them too, after all that hubbub last year...

If Nomar is as talented as people say than he could easily move to second, a true great player can play any position, Piazza at 1st, Ripken at 3rd, my point is that players arnt stuck in one position.

MacNut
Apr 27, 2004, 09:23 PM
YANKEES WIN THEEEEEEE YANKEES WIN!! :cool: :p :D :)

keysersoze
Apr 27, 2004, 09:31 PM

JETER UPDATE: O for his last 28

:) :)

keysersoze
Apr 27, 2004, 09:36 PM

...and they are STILL 4 games back of the Red Sox.

keysersoze
Apr 27, 2004, 09:36 PM

...and they are STILL in 3rd place, behind Boston AND BALTIMORE!

Koodauw
Apr 28, 2004, 12:29 AM
...and they are STILL in 3rd place, behind Boston AND BALTIMORE!

and its still been since 1918!

Seriously, you bosux fans don't have a leg to stand on untill you win one.

Counterfit
Apr 28, 2004, 12:49 AM
If Nomar is as talented as people say than he could easily move to second, a true great player can play any position, Piazza at 1st, Ripken at 3rd, my point is that players arnt stuck in one position. But why waste Nomar at second when he's a better shortstop than Jeter? Same with A-Rod at third!

Koodauw
Apr 29, 2004, 08:07 PM
JETER UPDATE: O for his last 28

Jeter ends streak by hitting a HR. not a single, double, but a HR. Still the King of NY.

keysersoze
Apr 29, 2004, 08:29 PM
Jeter ends streak by hitting a HR. not a single, double, but a HR. Still the King of NY.

Red Sox have won last 5 straight...working on 6 as I write!

good for Jeter....nothing like $17M for a .165 batting average.

idkew
Apr 29, 2004, 08:50 PM

there you go. i think the definition of a great player is 1 for 29, with a HR. surely anyone with that record is the king of baseball, and ny.

or, maybe great players hit a single/double more often then not...

Koodauw
Apr 29, 2004, 09:04 PM
Red Sox have won last 5 straight...working on 6 as I write!

good for Jeter....nothing like $17M for a .165 batting average.

Don't forget those 4 championship rings he helped them earn.

there you go. i think the definition of a great player is 1 for 29, with a HR. surely anyone with that record is the king of baseball, and ny.

Everyone one stuggles, even the best. And yes, still the King ;)

Freakk123
Apr 29, 2004, 09:14 PM
Jeter is overrated. Out of the three "big" shortstops in the AL, he was always number three, in both batting and in the field. If you don't believe me, just look at the stats. Unfortunately, George Steinbrenner is evil ( ;) :D ) so he takes the best of the three Shortstops, and moves him to third base. What a (expletive deleted). Can't stand the man.

Also, I have nothing against Jeter. I think he is a great player, but there are still many players who are better. He's one of the few people on the Yankees who don't make me grimace hearing their name.

Koodauw
Apr 29, 2004, 10:25 PM
Jeter is overrated. Out of the three "big" shortstops in the AL, he was always number three, in both batting and in the field. If you don't believe me, just look at the stats. Unfortunately, George Steinbrenner is evil ( ;) :D ) so he takes the best of the three Shortstops, and moves him to third base. What a (expletive deleted). Can't stand the man.

Also, I have nothing against Jeter. I think he is a great player, but there are still many players who are better. He's one of the few people on the Yankees who don't make me grimace hearing their name.

Greatness is not measured soley by individual stats.

keysersoze
Apr 30, 2004, 07:30 AM
Greatness is not measured soley by individual stats.

uh... what's your point?

That the Yankees suck?

Glad we cleared that up!

Koodauw
Apr 30, 2004, 12:33 PM
uh... what's your point?

That the Yankees suck?

Glad we cleared that up!

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. 26 Championships man they suck
:rolleyes:

keysersoze
Apr 30, 2004, 12:58 PM
Yes that is exactly what I am saying.

Good. Glad we are in agreement.

idkew
Apr 30, 2004, 01:27 PM
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. 26 Championships man they suck
:rolleyes:

just proves you can buy wins.

noel4r
Apr 30, 2004, 02:05 PM
I cheered for the Red Sox last year but to be fair Yankees dont suck. Yankees is the MLB.

keysersoze
Apr 30, 2004, 02:07 PM
I cheered for the Red Sox last year but to be fair Yankees dont suck. Yankees is the MLB.

Fair? Yankees? those words shouldn't be in the same sentence!

and they really do suck. :)

King Cobra
Apr 30, 2004, 03:08 PM
*sigh* They do not. All right, well since this is the Yankees/Sox bashing contest thread: Suxers.

And do we need a sports forum on here? (Tell me no, because that would turn me off a little...)

(Note to self: Get out of the room...79F and no AC = not cool.)

MacNut
May 2, 2004, 09:21 PM
Looks to me like the Sox might get swept by the Rangers as the Yankees have won 6 in a row. :) :D :p

Koodauw
May 3, 2004, 12:47 AM
Looks to me like the Sox might get swept by the Rangers as the Yankees have won 6 in a row. :) :D :p

Looks like Sox did get swept by the Rangers, and the Yankees have won 6 in a row.

1.5 Games back to make up yet. BoSux will only be looking in the rear view mirror for a short while longer. Here come the Yanks baby!

Meanwhile Brian Cashman is working on deals for either/all of
Ben Sheets, Randy Johnson, Junior Griffey.

Oh man Griffey in Pin Strips, Junior and Arod Reunite!

Counterfit
May 3, 2004, 12:46 PM
Looks like Sox did get swept by the Rangers, and the Yankees have won 6 in a row.

1.5 Games back to make up yet. BoSux will only be looking in the rear view mirror for a short while longer. Here come the Yanks baby!

Meanwhile Brian Cashman is working on deals for either/all of
Ben Sheets, Randy Johnson, Junior Griffey.

Oh man Griffey in Pin Strips, Junior and Arod Reunite! And then they get beat by the Mariners again :p

MacNut
May 3, 2004, 12:55 PM
Is it me or are the Mariners one of the worst teams in baseball right now. :)

Awimoway
May 3, 2004, 01:00 PM
Is it me or are the Mariners one of the worst teams in baseball right now. :)

It's not you. The Mariners seem content to contend but not to win. Because of this mediocre approach they aren't even contending this year. :rolleyes:

MacNut
May 3, 2004, 01:07 PM
I think its time this site gets a sports thread.

Its kinda sad to see the Tigers with a better record than the Mariners. :rolleyes:

Kethoticus
May 3, 2004, 03:11 PM
I'm a huge Yankees fan, but I don't think the Red Sox suck. If they sucked, they wouldn't have taken us to 7 games in the ALCS last year. Saying that a team of the Yankees caliber sucks shows emotionalism and ignorance.

They say there's a rivalry between the Bosox and Yanks. Is there? Have the Red Sox rivaled us through the years, swapping WS championships with us, playing on level ground with us? Most certainly not. Yet I do not say that the Red Sox suck. They're professionals who always force the Yanks to play their best.

I'd be happy too if I were a Boston fan and, especially after last October, my boys took a 6 of 7 lead in the season series with that same team this year. But a) it's a looooooooong season, and b) even if you win 18 of the 19 games, it still means diddly come October. Your bragging rights could be the only victory you have for the season. Wait until October before you get too excited.

My biggest concern for the Yankees is the return of Steinbrenner to the helm. When he was out of the spotlight, the Yankees were able to forge a dynasty, cultivating their farm system and building a core around home-grown talent. Without him, there was relative calm in the Yankee dugout. No off-the-field nonsense with Steinbrenner telling this player or that coach how they should do their jobs.

Now that he's back, I fear a return to the 80s when we really did suck because of the Frankensteining of the team with self-absorbed free agents and such. Steinbrenner, in my opinion, is more of a threat the Yankees' chances this year than are the Red Sox.

Awimoway
May 3, 2004, 04:48 PM
I'm a huge Yankees fan, but I don't think the Red Sox suck. If they sucked, they wouldn't have taken us to 7 games in the ALCS last year. Saying that a team of the Yankees caliber sucks shows emotionalism and ignorance.

They say there's a rivalry between the Bosox and Yanks. Is there? Have the Red Sox rivaled us through the years, swapping WS championships with us, playing on level ground with us? Most certainly not. Yet I do not say that the Red Sox suck. They're professionals who always force the Yanks to play their best.

I'd be happy too if I were a Boston fan and, especially after last October, my boys took a 6 of 7 lead in the season series with that same team this year. But a) it's a looooooooong season, and b) even if you win 18 of the 19 games, it still means diddly come October. Your bragging rights could be the only victory you have for the season. Wait until October before you get too excited.

My biggest concern for the Yankees is the return of Steinbrenner to the helm. When he was out of the spotlight, the Yankees were able to forge a dynasty, cultivating their farm system and building a core around home-grown talent. Without him, there was relative calm in the Yankee dugout. No off-the-field nonsense with Steinbrenner telling this player or that coach how they should do their jobs.

Now that he's back, I fear a return to the 80s when we really did suck because of the Frankensteining of the team with self-absorbed free agents and such. Steinbrenner, in my opinion, is more of a threat the Yankees' chances this year than are the Red Sox.

Well jeez, if you're going to be mature about this we won't have anything to talk about. :eek:

MacNut
May 3, 2004, 05:06 PM
The Yankees Suck, Red Sox Suck thing doesn't actually mean they suck, its more of a way of saying I hate you :rolleyes: Or its like if I say you suck, you might not really suck but its a nice way of saying, go to hell. So in closing the Red Sox really do suck. :)

Kethoticus
May 3, 2004, 06:45 PM
Awimoway, that was pretty funny.

As for the "suck" thing, I guess MacNut's right. But I tend to take such things at face value. I rarely use such terminology to describe a team I hate. I usually just point at the TV or the field and taunt the players or something. I mean, after last year's atrocious display by Pedro, I think the man's an overgrown child who's lightyears from someone like, say, Paul O'Neill in terms of character. But the man does not suck. I repect Pedro as a player, but don't particularly care for the man.

Okay, I guess I'm just beating a dead horse now.

Koodauw
May 3, 2004, 11:13 PM
lets get this strait. The BoSox always choke when it counts most. and haven't won a WS since 1918. They suck.

And they lost again tonight. Yanks just one game back. GO Yanks!

Kethoticus
May 3, 2004, 11:45 PM
I already mentioned the LACK of equality with the Yankees in terms of their championship history. Their championship history doesn't suck. It's atrocious. But year after year they're in the thick of it, many times making post-season play.

Now about the Yanks' rapid climb back into the thick of things, OHHH YEAHH!!! We were in 4th place last week. Now we're in 2nd. Things're lookin' much better than they were a week and a half ago. But it's a long season, like I said. Things're just getting started.

Can't wait for them to visit LA and Anaheim this year. But Lord how I miss the Stadium.

Nybombers142
May 4, 2004, 12:26 AM
just proves you can buy wins.

Hey smart guy the Red Sox have the second highest payroll in baseball and how many championships have they "bought" since 1918?
ZIP, NADA, NONE, THE BIG GOOSE EGG

85 YEARS WITHOUT A SINGLE DAMN CHAMPIONSHIP!! 85 YEARS!!!!!!!

There is NO campatition between the Sox and Yanks. The Sox have 26 CHAMPIONSHIPS to make up before they pull even! SO DONT EVEN COMPARE YOUR TEAM TO OURS!! YOU HAVE NOTHING ON US!! YOU'RE OUR B*T*HE$. KNEAL BEFORE THE ALL MIGHTY YANKEES!!!! KNEAL!!!!!!!

p.s. YOU tried to get A-Rod well brefore us and FAILED so, "Dont go there."
p.p.s 2003 ALCS, game 7, bottom of the 11th, first pitch to BOONE, and goodbye red sox...

"Why do they call it the World Series when its always played in the Bronx?"- unknown

MacFan26
May 4, 2004, 01:57 AM
SO DONT EVEN COMPARE YOUR TEAM TO OURS!! YOU HAVE NOTHING ON US!! YOU'RE OUR B*T*HE$. KNEAL BEFORE THE ALL MIGHTY YANKEES!!!! KNEAL!!!!!!!

What's with the 'you' and the 'us?' Are you affiliated with the Yankees?

Kethoticus
May 4, 2004, 02:43 AM
...I believe that when sports fans use the words "us" and "we", it's because we identify a bit too closely with our teams. It's unfortunate, but I think most of us do it.

King Cobra
May 4, 2004, 05:55 AM
[note: caps reduced to lowercase for convenience]
so dont even compare your team to ours!! you have nothing on us!! you're our b*t*he$. kneal before the all mighty yankees!!!! kneal!!!!!!!

I think we have a Yankees zealot...now even though I'll probably like the Yankees for as long as they exist, even that [above quote] is too overpowering to initiate a calm discussion.

...we identify a bit too closely with our teams. It's unfortunate, but I think most of us do it.

There's a fine line between supporting a team as a personal favorite, and demanding that your favorite team be appreciated by everyone else. Obviously, the first above quote demonstrates that. But for those that relate too closely...there are a few people that do that, and it may be the only solution for now, but someone that demands such attention needs to develop a force of habit to want to stay on the other side of the fine line, and then stay there.

(Seriously, there is a such thing as a fine line. I looked at it the other day biology class.)

Kethoticus
May 4, 2004, 12:14 PM
I hear ya, but I really don't believe that NyBombers142 was serious. I mean, his comments were so over the top I doubt they were meant to be taken seriously.

keysersoze
May 4, 2004, 09:09 PM
psssttt....

hey...

yeah you!

look over here!

The Yankees Suck!

Koodauw
May 4, 2004, 11:40 PM
p.p.s 2003 ALCS, game 7, bottom of the 11th, first pitch to BOONE, and goodbye red sox...

"Why do they call it the World Series when its always played in the Bronx?"- unknown

Hey, the man makes makes some darn good points.

HAHA, Aaron Boone..... Still flying a mile high nearly 6 months after that one.

Btw, I am stealing that quote and putting it in my sig.

PS. I think nybombers142 is secretly macnut, but don't worry I won't tell anyone!

Kethoticus
May 5, 2004, 12:17 AM
psssttt....

hey...

yeah you!

look over here!

Your team has just lost sole possession of first place to... uhh... you know who!

keysersoze
May 5, 2004, 07:38 AM
Your team has just lost sole possession of first place to... uhh... you know who!

stupid yankees.
:(

Koodauw
May 5, 2004, 09:39 AM
*Nelson* HA HA

Ugh. I just found this

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1795742

From the you've got to be kidding me file.

King Cobra
May 5, 2004, 12:59 PM
If you think the Yankees suck, then... click me (http://www.youdontknowwhoiam.org/lol.html). http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Nybombers142
May 5, 2004, 03:06 PM
Hey its only May and already the Red Sox have fallen into their slump, could this be a new record? It seems unfair though. They should wait intill July/ August intill they start blowing to give their fans (do they really have fans!?) somthing to cheer about. That way the crushing blow of seeing the Yankees win the WS isnt so bad. Thats worked the past 85 years, hasn't it? :D

keysersoze
May 5, 2004, 03:47 PM
*Nelson* HA HA

Ugh. I just found this

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=1795742

From the you've got to be kidding me file.

That's got to be the most dumbhole idea I've ever seen. What's this world coming too?!?! Somebody stop it. (just not ralph nader).

keysersoze
May 5, 2004, 03:50 PM
If you think the Yankees suck, then... click me (http://www.youdontknowwhoiam.org/lol.html). http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

OHMYGOD that is IRRITATING.

...I can't wait to send that link out to people I can't stand. Thanks Cobra.

Kethoticus
May 5, 2004, 06:21 PM
I clicked that stupid link and my machine became so overwhelmed that I hadda pull the frickin' power cord on it.

People, that link is not just annoying. It looks somewhat dangerous. Avoid it.

King Cobra
May 5, 2004, 07:05 PM
The irritating behavior of the red link in my previous post is caused by a harmless Javascript, not the flash file. Look, here's the source code of the link that causes the irritating "behavior":

function newXlt(){
xOff = Math.ceil( 0 - 6 * Math.random()) * 5 - 10 ;
window.focus()}

function newXrt(){
xOff = Math.ceil(7 * Math.random()) * 5 - 10 ;
}

function newYup(){
yOff = Math.ceil( 0 - 6 * Math.random()) * 5 - 10 ;
}

function newYdn(){
yOff = Math.ceil( 7 * Math.random()) * 5 - 10 ;
}
function fOff(){
flagrun = 0;
}

function playBall(){
xPos += xOff;
yPos += yOff;
if (xPos > screen.width-175){
newXlt();
}
if (xPos < 0){
newXrt();
}
if (yPos > screen.height-100){
newYup();
}
if (yPos < 0){
newYdn();
}
if (flagRun == 1){
window.moveTo(xPos,yPos);
setTimeout('playBall()',1);
}
}

BTW: I took that off this guy's sig (http://www.notanotherforum.com/member.php?u=11).

keysersoze
May 5, 2004, 09:33 PM
Sox managed to stave off a 6th loss in a row.... whew...

Looks like Bill Mueller back in the 8 slot is the ticket....not sure what's wrong with BK Kim... he's just been horrible since he came over from zona. They should bundle him with some prospects and send 'em to KC for Beltran.

MacNut
May 5, 2004, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=KoodauwPS. I think nybombers142 is secretly macnut, but don't worry I won't tell anyone![/QUOTE]

Is that a complement or an insult :)

MacNut
May 5, 2004, 09:55 PM
The difference between me and nybomber is that I like baseball as a whole and although im a die hard Yankee fan I wont cram then down your throat, unless of course your in my family and a Red Sox fan. ;)

Koodauw
May 5, 2004, 10:23 PM
Sox managed to stave off a 6th loss in a row.... whew...

Looks like Bill Mueller back in the 8 slot is the ticket....not sure what's wrong with BK Kim... he's just been horrible since he came over from zona. They should bundle him with some prospects and send 'em to KC for Beltran.

HAHAHA, BK Kim was never good, what are you talking about Remember games 3, 4 & 5, Of the 2001 ones WS? Bottom of 9 or whatever it was. I was so bummed when he didn't pitch in the ALCS. Oh well, it was even better than I could of ever imagined. ;) I am going to be let down if the BoSux don't make an equally dramatic exit this year.

djbahdow01
May 6, 2004, 12:31 AM
Hey its only May and already the Red Sox have fallen into their slump, could this be a new record? It seems unfair though. They should wait intill July/ August intill they start blowing to give their fans (do they really have fans!?) somthing to cheer about. That way the crushing blow of seeing the Yankees win the WS isnt so bad. Thats worked the past 85 years, hasn't it? :D

Were'nt the Yankees in a slump not too long ago. Don't forget the Red Sox aren't even full strength yet. That and yes they have lots of fans. Considering you have to basically beg to get tickets there, i think there are atleast 34,000+ fans a game. Don't foget they have the highest sellout percentage. Maybe not the most fans at a game but that is because there isn't the room. Also it looks as of right now they are out of their slump. Don't forget the Sox took 6 of 7 already and there are 12 games left between the two of them.

Juventuz
May 6, 2004, 11:07 AM
WThat and yes they have lots of fans. Considering you have to basically beg to get tickets there, i think there are atleast 34,000+ fans a game. Don't foget they have the highest sellout percentage.

That's because they have the smallest stadium in MLB.

Maybe not the most fans at a game but that is because there isn't the room.

If they had a larger stadium their sellout percentage would fall.

keysersoze
May 6, 2004, 11:29 AM

THAT depends on a number of factors. They could increase the size to 50,000 and still sell out all games.

HAHAHA, BK Kim was never good...

As for BK Kim, admittedly he sucks, but so does Contreras. Jose's been a complete bust for the Yankees... Sox have one crappy starter (Kim) and I'd take Arroyo anyday as a solid fifth... he's been surprisingly reliable. The Yankees have the potential to have an entire pitching staff melt down. We'll see how they are holding up in July. My guess is Contreras will be in the minors, Brown will be on DL, Lieber will be on DL, Mussina will be in the midsts of his worst year ever... :)

keysersoze
May 6, 2004, 11:36 AM
Remember games 3, 4 & 5, Of the 2001 ones WS?

That was the Series the Yankees LOST to Arizona.... right?? :)

djbahdow01
May 6, 2004, 11:55 AM
Yes Fenway is one of the smallest stadiums in the MLB, Wrigley is too. I do believe that if there were 50,000 seats in Fenway or even a new stadium(shuddders) they would sellout. The Red Sox and the Cubs probably have THE best fans, they would travel all over the country just to see their team play. When i was at the NLCS in Miami Game 4, there had to be at least 20000+ Cubs fans at the game. I believe that if the Sox made the WS there would have been close to that as well. As I was one that went anyways just to see the Yankees lose. All i know is no matter what Red Sox Nation will always follow their team with all their heart. I know i have.

djbahdow01
May 6, 2004, 11:57 AM
That's because they have the smallest stadium in MLB.

Back to this, if i remember correctly the largest stadium crowd at Fenway all time was 50,000+ if there weren't so many fire code laws i could see that happening all the time. One good thing about fire capacity laws is that they are there so no one loses their life in case of a fire.

keysersoze
May 6, 2004, 12:36 PM
When i was at the NLCS in Miami Game 4, there had to be at least 20000+ Cubs fans at the game.

I remember during that series the announcer saying that it was cheaper for Chicago fans to buy plane tickets, fly to Florida, buy game tickets, see the game, and fly BACK to Chicago than try to see the game IN Chicago! That's nuts!

Nybombers142
May 6, 2004, 04:14 PM
I remember during that series the announcer saying that it was cheaper for Chicago fans to buy plane tickets, fly to Florida, buy game tickets, see the game, and fly BACK to Chicago than try to see the game IN Chicago! That's nuts!

I find that hard to believe...

psst, hey look down...

keep going.....

almost there, HEHE.....

85 YEARS WITH A WS TITLE!!! HAHAHA!!!

Koodauw
May 6, 2004, 05:31 PM
As for BK Kim, admittedly he sucks, but so does Contreras. Jose's been a complete bust for the Yankees... Sox have one crappy starter (Kim) and I'd take Arroyo anyday as a solid fifth... he's been surprisingly reliable. The Yankees have the potential to have an entire pitching staff melt down. We'll see how they are holding up in July. My guess is Contreras will be in the minors, Brown will be on DL, Lieber will be on DL, Mussina will be in the midsts of his worst year ever... :)

My guess is you have no idea what you are talking about. Jose has not been a huge bust for the Yankees. A dissapointment maybe, but a bust no. He pitched very well out of the bullpen last year in October, which is when it matters btw.

As for the pitching, Mussina will get back on track, Brown is pitching well, Vasquez will pick it up, and Lieber threw very well in his 1st outing of the year.

and yeah, you can say what ever you want, but the BoSux still are a bunch of losers when it really counts, and oh yeah 1918 my friend.

keysersoze
May 6, 2004, 05:39 PM
I didn't make it up! Tim McCarver said it, or one of those guys. I swear it! oh well. The yankees still suck.

HAHAHAHA!!!!

keysersoze
May 6, 2004, 05:43 PM
My guess is you have no idea what you are talking about. Jose has not been a huge bust for the Yankees. A dissapointment maybe, but a bust no. He pitched very well out of the bullpen last year in October, which is when it matters btw.

As for the pitching, Mussina will get back on track, Brown is pitching well, Vasquez will pick it up, and Lieber threw very well in his 1st outing of the year.

I'm actually the one who's NOT in denial about this!!! They pay him $9M a year to pitch in the minors?? Cause that's where he is right now!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1796151

WHY IS HE IN THE MINORS? HIS ERA IS 9.47!!!! (see graphic below)

He was the hottest thing coming out of nowhere....and it turns out he's middle aged AND average (or as you say, "disappointing"). And Mussina will NEVER be the pitcher Schilling is. Ever. And K. Brown...rickety K? I PROMISE he'll break down. I'd place a bet in Vegas on it if I could figure out how.

Juventuz
May 6, 2004, 10:33 PM
I didn't make it up! Tim McCarver said it, or one of those guys. I swear it! oh well. The yankees still suck.

HAHAHAHA!!!!

No... sucking is not winning a World Series since 1918

http://www.redstarmultimedia.com/blog/archives/babe.jpg

djbahdow01
May 7, 2004, 12:47 AM
I find that hard to believe...

Actually i don't think so, Wrigley has very limited seating as does Fenway, i remember hearing people on the radio down here of the Marlins faithful, say maybe 100 people, were trying to get tickets up there and people were trying to sell them for $1000 a piece. I got front row in rightfield at Pro Player for $25 a ticket. And with 65000 seats at the Pro its a whole lot easier and cheaper to get tix there and flying than it was in Chicago.

Nybombers142
May 8, 2004, 04:03 PM
oops, where sliping down the ranks, better post to keep the thread alive

djbahdow01
May 8, 2004, 04:47 PM
Looks like the Sox are looking up once again. Schilling tosses a gem and they got their bats going again. Hope they keep it that way. Can't wait till im in Fenway on May 22nd to see them play the Jays. Hope the rotation stays the same as Pedro is scheduled to pitch. Lets Go Sox.

MacNut
May 8, 2004, 04:56 PM
Well the Sox are playing the KC Royals so its not saying much. :rolleyes:

keysersoze
May 8, 2004, 05:16 PM
Well the Sox are playing the KC Royals so its not saying much. :rolleyes:

The Red Sox are still 6-1 against the Yankees. That saying much?

keysersoze
May 8, 2004, 05:20 PM
oops, where sliping down the ranks, better post to keep the thread alive

I started this thread... so I can assure you it's NOT any Yankee official anything. hah.

It was started when the Red Sox destroyed NY in NY. And the Yankees are still suckayyy...

MacNut
May 8, 2004, 05:46 PM
I hope you people don't think that the Red Sox are gonna win the remaining 12 games of the Sox Yanks series. Things will even up as the season goes on and it appears that we now have a pennet race on our hands.

Kethoticus
May 8, 2004, 08:34 PM
Oh I'm not too worried about NY's recent slippage. They won 8 straight, now lost a few straight. That happens. The Sox will hit hot streaks and then cool off too. It's the OVERALL picture we need to look at, and that hasn't revealed itself yet. Not for another 130 games or so.

The Sox are off to a strong start. Feels good for Bostonians, but it's nothing to judge the season by. Same for the Yanks. Let's enjoy a season that pits the Yanks against the Sox all season! What a ride that could be.

Counterfit
May 8, 2004, 10:20 PM
I hope you people don't think that the Red Sox are gonna win the remaining 12 games of the Sox Yanks series. Things will even up as the season goes on and it appears that we now have a pennet race on our hands. No, I don't think the Sox will win most of the remaining 12, I know they will :D

djbahdow01
Jun 20, 2004, 01:48 PM
Well figured i would update this thread as the season has progressed and there is another sox/yanks series coming up soon.
Lets hope that the Sox can continue thier winning ways vs the Yanks.

MacFan26
Jun 20, 2004, 04:29 PM
Well figured i would update this thread as the season has progressed and there is another sox/yanks series coming up soon.
Lets hope that the Sox can continue thier winning ways vs the Yanks.

I hope they can win too, they're too many games back now. I'm wondering what's going on with Pedro, he allowed 4 runs in the first yesterday :confused:

djbahdow01
Jun 20, 2004, 04:43 PM
I hope they can win too, they're too many games back now. I'm wondering what's going on with Pedro, he allowed 4 runs in the first yesterday :confused:

Not sure with Pedro, he has his good days and his bad. Lately he has been pretty good tho. Sometimes its just not his day. They are only 3.5 games back as of right now thats nothing this early in the season.

floatingspirit
Jun 20, 2004, 06:39 PM
What do you suppose is easier, switching Windows users to Mac or fans from the BoSox to the Yankees? :p

What a curious thread this is. ;)

QCassidy352
Jun 20, 2004, 06:45 PM
Not sure with Pedro, he has his good days and his bad. Lately he has been pretty good tho. Sometimes its just not his day. They are only 3.5 games back as of right now thats nothing this early in the season.

5 games back before tonights game between NY and LA. Btw, that was clearly an out at 3rd in the 7th, and you might say that it doesn't matter because the next batter hit a home run, but if it's 2 outs and 2 on that's totally different from 1 out and bases loaded - the entire way it plays out changes based on that blown call by the 3rd base umpire.

More importantly, though, Francona is an idiot, and the Sox are not going anywhere with him. The guy has like a .420 career winning % as a manager, and if you watch the sox, you can see why. They don't run, they don't bunt, they don't do anything to move runners along. And, the last 2 days, Francona sits 3 regulars out of yesterdays game (Damon, Nomar, Nixon) and two out of today (Pokey, Manny). Not because of injury or anything, just because he feels like sitting them down. What bull! As long as your starters are healthy, they're the ones who play. Ok, *maybe* you sit one guy once in a while if he really needs a break, but 5 starters in 2 games??

They're the starters because they're the best players. When you're losing games, losing ground to the Yankees, and have scheduled rest coming anyway, that is just inexcusable. The Sox have to win, and they have to have their best team on the field if they expect to beat quality opponents like the Giants. I don't understand why the Sox can't get a decent manager. Jimy Williams, Grady Little, and now this moron. I'm not asking for managerial brilliance, but how about just playing Manny Ramirez??

MacFan26
Jun 20, 2004, 08:24 PM
What do you suppose is easier, switching Windows users to Mac or fans from the BoSox to the Yankees? :p

Switching Windows users to Mac is easier. :D

MacFan26
Jun 20, 2004, 08:29 PM
Ok, *maybe* you sit one guy once in a while if he really needs a break, but 5 starters in 2 games??

I agree. Since these guys are actually healthy, they need to be on the field! I understand the Nomar is still recovering, but the rest of the guys who are starters shouldn't sit out on these games. I'm not a big fan of Francona, I think he's worse than Grady Little. I didn't think Little was that bad, but of course, everyone will remember him for not taking out Pedro in the ALCS :(

Koodauw
Jun 20, 2004, 11:46 PM
BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL!!! Don't mess with the Yanks.

MacNut
Jun 22, 2004, 04:10 PM
The Red Sox better watch out because the Devil Rays are making a comeback and knocking on the door. Only 6 games behind the Sox. 11 Straight wins

BOSOX78250
Jun 22, 2004, 04:25 PM
The Red Sox better watch out because the Devil Rays are making a comeback and knocking on the door. Only 6 games behind the Sox. 11 Straight wins

The RED SOX have the second best recond in the AL, and the forth best in MLB. Although the Devil Rays are on a hell of a run we need not get out of hand here.

Let me also remind everyone that we still have not seen the RED SOX at a 100% yet. I love the spot we are at right now. I look forward to the next meeting with the Yankees where we can remind everyone who owns who this year. It is only a matter of time before the Evil Empires pitching staff really falls apart. Never the less it is going to be a great year and one thing is for sure one of us will be smiling come October. Hope it is not in NY though!

MacNut
Jun 22, 2004, 05:31 PM
Can you say one game playoff

keysersoze
Aug 26, 2004, 11:59 AM
BACK FROM THE DEAD BABY!!!!!

Red Sox only 5.5 games back...

Things I was right about:
1. Mussina going on DL
2. K. Brown going on DL
3. Contreras continuing to suck (to the point he got traded... for Loaiza! someone even worse!)

MacNut
Aug 26, 2004, 12:12 PM
It was only a matter of time before this thread returned. Don't get your hopes up just yet Sox fans as you will have a tough west coast swing in the next few weeks as the Yankees will be coasting by playing some of the leagues worst teams. Now before you try to catch the Yankees you might want to watch out for the Angels, Rangers, and A's as they are in a close race for the Wild Card and AL West. Now lets say the Sox do manage to win the Wild Card and catch the yankees in the east, the numbers are still stacked against them because Boston always seems to find a way to choke when they get really close to something big, Kind of like game 7 of last years ALCS. So as the season gets to the home stretch just remember that the curse of the Bambino lives stronger than ever and may the best team (Yankees) win.

MacFan26
Aug 26, 2004, 12:16 PM
I doubt they'll be able to take the east. I'd love to see them win the wild card, but they'd have tough teams to beat to get any further. Including another series with the Yankees...At least Don Zimmer won't be around :rolleyes:

MacNut
Aug 26, 2004, 12:21 PM
Ya know what would be ironic and would just be the worst thing to happen to the Sox, A Cubs Red Sox World Series coming down to a game 7 in Chicago with Nomar hitting a bottom of the 9th walk off Homerun. :) :D

Kethoticus
Aug 26, 2004, 01:01 PM
Ya know what would be ironic and would just be the worst thing to happen to the Sox, A Cubs Red Sox World Series coming down to a game 7 in Chicago with Nomar hitting a bottom of the 9th walk off Homerun. :) :D

Only once have I had to worry about the Sox in the last 25 years: 1986. The Yankees' biggest problem isn't their divisional rivals, but their defense. Their pitching (or lack thereof) and fielding (or lack thereof) will not get them past the Cardinals -- who have been near-pertfect in every department -- should they face each other in the WS.

Right now, I think their pitchers will hurt them more than the Red Sox will.

BTW Macnut, great post. That just might be proof that there is some sort of curse against the Sox. It would also be hilarious.

jxyama
Aug 26, 2004, 04:26 PM
has anyone here heard of pythagorian theorem for baseball? basically, you look at runs scored (RS) and runs against (RA) of a team. in general, the team's winning percentage closely follows the formula:

winning % = RS^2 / (RS^2 + RA^2)

it's a well established and time tested formula - most teams fall within 2 or so games of the predicted winning %.

if a team is significantly above or below the predicted winning %, they are said to be lucky or unlucky, respectively, based on the assumption that those differences come from close, one-run games and outcome of one-run games are fairly random.

anyway, yankees have RS of 685 and RA of 618. predicted winning % is 55.1%, which means they should be 69-57, instead they are 78-48 - 9 games over the expected.

red sox have RS of 719 and RA of 595. predicted winning % is 59.3%, which means they should be 74-51, instead they are 72-53 - 2 games under the expected.

while sox defense for much of the season (before the trades) may have made them slightly more prone to being unlucky, it can be said that yankees have been very lucky. i had expected that this will catch up to them and that sometime, they'd just lose many close games in a row for no reason. and it actually happened. so it's not a surprise to me and i'm not really worried for the sox - yankees will come down a bit.

we'll see in oct. :D

MacNut
Sep 15, 2004, 05:02 PM
The Yankees and Red Sox play the first of their 6 remaining regular season games Friday night in New York, and the Yankees currently hold a 4.5 game lead over the sox as the Yanks just won today. The Sox have dropped 2 straight, might there winning streak be coming to and end. We will see what happens as who ever wins these next 6 games will probably win the AL east. Go Yankees!!

Kethoticus
Sep 15, 2004, 06:33 PM
The Yankees and Red Sox play the first of their 6 remaining regular season games Friday night in New York, and the Yankees currently hold a 4.5 game lead over the sox as the Yanks just won today. The Sox have dropped 2 straight, might there winning streak be coming to and end. We will see what happens as who ever wins these next 6 games will probably win the AL east. Go Yankees!!

Well I'll tell ya. As a transplanted Yankees fan here in Los Angeles, I've been keeping fairly close track of what's been going on. And, based on that, if I were a betting man, I'd put money on the Sox taking 4 of the 6 games. I'm not speaking with my fan's cap on, but with my objective observer's cap.

The Yankees are about 11-4 for September. Great. But their pitching has been inconsistent all year, giving rays of hope and then clouds of concern. And alternating again between the two, over and over. This inconsistency in both their starters and relievers (with Hernandez and Rivera being the only exceptions) could turn out to be our downfall during the next few weeks, if not in October.

Their hitting's been more or less consistent, altho they have been shut out a couple of times this year. Their fielding defense is average at best, and theirm pitching wavers from brilliant to embarrassing.

Based on all of this, this is my rough prediction (and I pray I'm wrong):

* The Sox will throw a few roadblocks in our way, but we'll prevail with the division crown.

* I see the possibility of us getting past the AL, though I'm basing that on overall team records & stats, not from having watched the guts and other intangibles of the division leaders. (One possible alternative: The BoSox present, I think, the primary, legitimate challenge to the Yankees in the AL. If anyone could knock us out of the ALCS, it's them. Will they? I honestly couldn't say.)

* St. Louis looks like they're going to dance through the playoffs and into the Series, where they will kill us in 5, maybe 6.

Okay fellow Yankees fans, tell me what an idiot I am for believing my team won't do it this year.

djbahdow01
Sep 15, 2004, 08:48 PM
Well I'll tell ya. As a transplanted Yankees fan here in Los Angeles, I've been keeping fairly close track of what's been going on. And, based on that, if I were a betting man, I'd put money on the Sox taking 4 of the 6 games. I'm not speaking with my fan's cap on, but with my objective observer's cap.....

Very well said. Being a Sox fan i hope we can pull a few off from tha Yanks and make the last few weeks very interesting. As much as id like to see the Yanks not win the AL East I would prefer to see the Sox win the WS.

MacNut
Sep 15, 2004, 08:52 PM
Very well said. Being a Sox fan i hope we can pull a few off from tha Yanks and make the last few weeks very interesting. As much as id like to see the Yanks not win the AL East I would prefer to see the Sox win the WS.

Ok now your just dreaming, The Sox wont win the WS

Counterfit
Sep 15, 2004, 09:15 PM
In other news...hee hee (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040915&content_id=859197&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp) :D

keysersoze
Sep 15, 2004, 09:54 PM
The Yankees and Red Sox play the first of their 6 remaining regular season games Friday night in New York, and the Yankees currently hold a 4.5 game lead over the sox as the Yanks just won today. Yankees Suck!!

4 now.

Maybe Brown'll throw a chair at a fan cause he can't pitch.

MacNut
Sep 15, 2004, 10:51 PM
The person i would think to throw a chair would be Pedro, he already attacked an old man so a chair throw should be easy for him.

MacFan26
Sep 15, 2004, 11:15 PM
The person i would think to throw a chair would be Pedro, he already attacked an old man so a chair throw should be easy for him.
The old man attacked him first.

Kethoticus
Sep 16, 2004, 02:58 AM
The old man attacked him first.

This is true. Don Zimmer seems like a decent guy overall, but clearly what was Pedro to do? And he just threw him. He didn't smash his head in or do something crazy. Not that I'm sticking up for that psycho. He's the reason that melee started to begin with. Truly his character does not match his talent, and the Red Sox should be embarrassed by him (just like I didn't know which way to look when Clemens went off the deep end in 2000).

But you gotta give Sox fans credit for one thing: undying devotion and faith. In spite of their team's history of cracking and choking, they don't give up. And they shouldn't. One of these days, I don't believe they'll be disappointed. But up till now, I've yet to see a Boston team that seems to have the tangible -- as well as intangible -- qualities of a champion.

The Yankees do have some of those intangible qualities, as their 57 come-from-behind victories attest. This shows team character and a great killer instinct. But even that will cave if their defense can't hold up. Defense wins every time. And right now, St Louis seems to have the monopoly in that department, nevermind their two plus-40 HR-hitters.

keysersoze
Sep 16, 2004, 07:41 AM

If an old dumb fat bald guy charged me, I'd grab him by the melon and chuck him too.

Counterfit
Sep 16, 2004, 09:25 AM
He's the reason that melee started to begin with. I would say it was more Manny's (over)reaction to the high and inside pitch by Clemens.

wdlove
Sep 16, 2004, 01:20 PM
We will certainly see what the Red Sox are made of with the up coming series against the New York Yankees. As one commentator mentioned the Red Sox could catchup or be behind by seven.

The Red Sox are once again looking to boost income.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2004/09/16/red_sox_look_to_add_up_to_2000_seats/

MacNut
Sep 16, 2004, 03:26 PM
How much can Fenway Park take without major renovations that could ruin the character of that park. I don't see how that place can support more seats without massive structure work.

MacNut
Sep 16, 2004, 03:31 PM
There have also been talk about building a new Yankee Stadium across the street that would hold 50,000 seats and be modeled after the original stadium design. I would hate too see that cathedral torn down, and as much as I hate the Red Sox I think Fenway should stay as it is to preserve baseball history.

MacFan26
Sep 16, 2004, 07:36 PM
There have also been talk about building a new Yankee Stadium across the street that would hold 50,000 seats and be modeled after the original stadium design.
That would be kinda cool, the original stadium, or at least pre-1975 or whenever they remodeled it, was quite cool. You gotta love those sea green seats.

Koodauw
Sep 17, 2004, 11:38 AM
We're gettin off topic here guys. Lets focus on the facts.

BoSox Suck.

Yankees Rule.

Very simple.

decksnap
Sep 17, 2004, 11:38 AM
Sox will not have their best three pitchers on the mound, but then again... I guess you don't need them- :D

Counterfit
Sep 17, 2004, 06:39 PM
Sox will not have their best three pitchers on the mound, but then again... I guess you don't need them- :D BWA HAHAHAHA :D :D :D

Koodauw
Sep 17, 2004, 07:14 PM

Counterfit
Sep 18, 2004, 12:24 AM
It was only a matter of time before this thread returned. Don't get your hopes up just yet Sox fans as you will have a tough west coast swing in the next few weeks as the Yankees will be coasting by playing some of the leagues worst teams. Now before you try to catch the Yankees you might want to watch out for the Angels, Rangers, and A's as they are in a close race for the Wild Card and AL West. Now lets say the Sox do manage to win the Wild Card and catch the yankees in the east, the numbers are still stacked against them because Boston always seems to find a way to choke when they get really close to something big, Kind of like game 7 of last years ALCS. So as the season gets to the home stretch just remember that the curse of the Bambino lives stronger than ever and may the best team (Yankees) win. I wish I could do :rolleyes: in bold :D

keysersoze
Sep 18, 2004, 07:09 AM
I wish I could do :rolleyes: in bold :D

Mariano....BUST.. AGAIN...

2.5 Back.....

Koodauw
Sep 18, 2004, 03:16 PM
Yanks Win.

BoSux 3.5 back.

MacNut
Sep 18, 2004, 03:22 PM
Babe Ruth is in the building :D :D :) :p :cool:

MacNut
Sep 18, 2004, 03:26 PM
Mariano....BUST.. AGAIN...

2.5 Back.....

Lowe.....BUST.....AGAIN :)

3.5 Back, Again

Koodauw
Sep 18, 2004, 08:56 PM
Its too bad that Lowe got hit with that ball .... cause PEDRO IS THE ONE WHO DESERVES TO BE HIT.

I hope he gets SHELLED. So lucky hes not in the NL. (although I'm sure he took a page from clemens book)

Here is to another Babe appearence tomorrow!

MacNut
Sep 19, 2004, 08:02 PM
Its too bad that Lowe got hit with that ball .... cause PEDRO IS THE ONE WHO DESERVES TO BE HIT.

I hope he gets SHELLED. So lucky hes not in the NL. (although I'm sure he took a page from clemens book)

Here is to another Babe appearence tomorrow!

Well Pedro did get hit, in the loss column that is 4.5 back now.

Koodauw
Sep 20, 2004, 12:42 AM
What happened to all the BoSux on here?

did you

*gasp*

realize that

YOU JUST SUCK?

MacFan26
Sep 20, 2004, 02:15 AM
did you

*gasp*

realize that

YOU JUST SUCK?
I'm still here! :D And if anyone sucks, it'll be the team, not me. Man, the Sox got slammed this weekend, we'll see how it goes at Fenway next week.

keysersoze
Oct 12, 2004, 04:07 PM
It Has Begun

Kethoticus
Oct 12, 2004, 04:58 PM
It Has Begun

Indeed. But unlike a lot of brazen Sox and Yanks fans, I'm keeping my mouth shut. If the Yanks lose, I can say that I didn't open my mouth. If we win, then I'll have all the room in the world to brag.

Either way, I suspect that St Louis is going to win it all this year, regardless of who wins the AL pennant. The Yanks just don't have the pitching or fielding depth St Louis has, and defense is what wins in sports. Their offenses are comparable (as are the Sox's and St Louis'), so it's the defense that will decide, whoever makes it. And again, I think St Louis has the strongest defense of all 4 teams playing right now.

As Bugs Bunny once said, "Of course, I could be wrong you know."

wdlove
Oct 12, 2004, 08:31 PM
It Has Begun

Yes, we are now in the big battle. Is is do or die for the Red Sox. It would be awesome is they can win this time. Would hate to see a repeat of the last post season meeting when the Yankees won in the 7th game. Most of the local sport gurus are very confident of a Red Sox sweep this time.

Koodauw
Oct 12, 2004, 11:01 PM
Indeed. But unlike a lot of brazen Sox and Yanks fans, I'm keeping my mouth shut. If the Yanks lose, I can say that I didn't open my mouth. If we win, then I'll have all the room in the world to brag.

26 Rings gives your all the right to talk no matter what. And if you only open you mouth when you win.... BANDWAGON.

Anything less than a extra-innings game 7 homerun win for the yanks is gonna be a dissapoint in my book. Its not good enough to beat Boston... IT MUST BE DONE IN THE MOST DEVESTATING MANNER POSSIBLE!!!

MacNut
Oct 12, 2004, 11:17 PM
The Sox ace seemed more like the joker tonight. :rolleyes: Moose pitched a nice 7 while schilling seemed to struggle through 3. If we can do that to Kurt imagine what we can do to Pedro. :)

Phat_Pat
Oct 12, 2004, 11:31 PM
it was a almost nice comeback although they didn't quite make it....

QCassidy352
Oct 13, 2004, 12:06 AM
The Sox ace seemed more like the joker tonight. :rolleyes: Moose pitched a nice 7 while schilling seemed to struggle through 3. If we can do that to Kurt imagine what we can do to Pedro. :)

1) It's Curt, not Kurt.
2) Shilling having a bad outing has nothing to do with Pedro.
3) Mussina was so great for a while, but ended up pretty mediocre when all was said and done.
4) That was a terrible pun.
5) If either team plays like that in the world series it will be the NL in 5 because that was just ugly.

QCassidy352
Oct 13, 2004, 12:15 AM
26 Rings gives your all the right to talk no matter what. And if you only open you mouth when you win.... BANDWAGON.

Anything less than a extra-innings game 7 homerun win for the yanks is gonna be a dissapoint in my book. Its not good enough to beat Boston... IT MUST BE DONE IN THE MOST DEVESTATING MANNER POSSIBLE!!!

See, the thing is, YOU don't have any rings. So I'm not sure why you think YOU have the right to talk. Rivera could legitimately talk trash to Pedro (though my sense is that he's way too classy a guy [one of the very few yankees who is] to do so)... but you've had exactly the same impact on world series outcomes that I've had - ZERO.

It's one thing to be happy or excited when "your" team wins, but to be arrogant about it, as if you did something to be proud of, just doesn't make any sense.

I'm a pats fan, but does that make me better than a Jets fan? No, it makes the patriots better than the jets... :rolleyes:

MacNut
Oct 13, 2004, 12:39 AM
I think your missing the whole idea of being a sports fan or a Sox or Yankee fan. Half of the fun of the rivalry is the bickering between the fans, its all about the cheap shots about how much better my team is than yours.

Kethoticus
Oct 13, 2004, 01:06 AM
The Sox's comeback in game 1 shocked me, and yet... didn't surprise me. Part of me could see it coming. You don't hold down the AL's best offense like that for too long. And I know my Yanks' problematic bullpen. Mussina likely just ran out of gas, and he had to rely on his relievers. But if you look at the Yanks' bullpen stats, they're deplorable. This is what scares me in this series.

...though my sense is that he's way too classy a guy [one of the very few yankees who is]....

Name a classless Yankee. Shoot, I can name a few Bosox. The Red Sox started at least 2 brawls with the Yankees this season, AND they started the one last year in Boston behind Mr. Martinez -- a grown baby. Sorry, the Red Sox have the drive and hunger. They have the offense. They even have a few pitchers. As a Yankee fan trying to be objective, I'd hafta say that the odds may be against my boys in this series (you guys are 11-8 against us this year). But in terms of class, the little I've been able to get out here in L.A. tells me that the current Sox team has no idea what that word means.

Please. What this means is that I'm not going to go in someone's face bragging about how my team's going to kick the crap outta theirs before anything even happens. I save my attacks for when I have ammunition. If I rode on the bandwagon (i.e., if I was a fair-weather fan), I wouldn't have worn my dark blue Paul O'Neill jersey AFTER they lost the 2001 series. I got crap from people in the street about that, but how many people are proud of their boys after they lose a championship AND SHOW IT? Spare me.

5) If either team plays like that in the world series it will be the NL in 5 because that was just ugly.

Ayyyymen. That's my point. I don't think anyone's getting past St Louis this year, if all their games up to the start of NLCS are any indication. Go online and check out their team stats. Down right scary. But the '96 Yanks beat Atlanta, so things don't always work out how they seem on paper. But if the paper's any indication...

Most of the local sport gurus are very confident of a Red Sox sweep this time.

Ha. Not that they're being biased or anything :) A NY paper predicted the Sox in 6. That seems more reasonable, although after the Yanks' victory tonight, I could see this thing going 7... again. But all of their pitchers are going to have to be on their best game. And why the hey ain't Hernandez pitching??? Why are the 4+ ERAs of Vazquez and Leiber going out there?!? What in the world is Torre doing???

cusp
Oct 13, 2004, 07:53 AM
You know it's only just begun, and let's see how Pedro does tonight. After Mussina collapsed it was as if ones faith had finally been answered.

And it looked so easy for the Sox!

Schilling will be back, healthier I hope, the next time...

and this classic will go seven games, just like it should, with the Sox triumphant in the end. Once Damon starts to connect it's all over for the Yankees.

QCassidy352
Oct 13, 2004, 12:30 PM
Name a classless Yankee. Shoot, I can name a few Bosox. The Red Sox started at least 2 brawls with the Yankees this season, AND they started the one last year in Boston behind Mr. Martinez -- a grown baby. Sorry, the Red Sox have the drive and hunger. They have the offense. They even have a few pitchers. As a Yankee fan trying to be objective, I'd hafta say that the odds may be against my boys in this series (you guys are 11-8 against us this year). But in terms of class, the little I've been able to get out here in L.A. tells me that the current Sox team has no idea what that word means.

A-rod. He gets hit by accident, curses at the pitcher all the way down the line to first, and when Varitek tells him to shut up and walk, he invites Tek to hit him (which, happily, Varitek does).

Sheffield. If you're talking babies, you're in a glass house when you've got sheff on your team. And calling out bonds on steriods while denying all responsibility himself? As a track and field fan, I've seen this all too often. "I didn't know they were giving me a banned substance... I was set up by my friend/trainer/coach!" Oh please.

While we're on the topic of steriods, Giambi.

Jeter. I've never seen any other player celebrate each little play on-field as often or excessively. It's one thing if you win the game or turn a huge double play, but this guy is way over the top. What, does he think being captain means he's a cheerleader, too?

Sturtze. Putting a guy in a choke hold from behind during a pushing match is not classy.

Shall I go on?

For the record, there ARE classy Yankees. Torre, Tony Clark, Ruben Sierra, Mariano Rivera, Bernie Williams, to name a few.

Oh, and to answer your questions about the Yankees' starters: Lieber is pitching because he was so good in september (5-0). And Vazquez (4.91 ERA, 5 runs in 5 innings in ALDS) is pitching because el duque has a "tired arm" and is unavailable...

decksnap
Oct 13, 2004, 01:21 PM
Agreed- Jeter likes to think he is some classy pro because he keeps it clean in the press but he's the king of whining and pained sarcastic facial expression. There is very little professional about him.

Hideki has class- But Giambi and Sheffield shouldn't be given any respect- nor should A-Rod.

If Don Zimmer took a charge at me I'd chuck him to the ground too. :p

Don't even get me started on Posada.

MacNut
Oct 13, 2004, 01:45 PM
So let me guess you think that Pedro is the Classiest guy in sports. He may be worst than all the Yankees put together.

jxyama
Oct 13, 2004, 01:47 PM
A-rod. He gets hit by accident, curses at the pitcher all the way down the line to first, and when Varitek tells him to shut up and walk, he invites Tek to hit him (which, happily, Varitek does).

dude, you went way too specific on why a-rod is classless.

it's simple with a-rod, really: he took the money and denied it and when he got sick of losing, he bolted. what a classy guy, yeah right. :rolleyes:

jeter is classless because he won't give up his ego of playing the glamour position in order to make the team better.

MacNut
Oct 13, 2004, 01:51 PM
Wasn't Nomar a prick when he was a Red Sox and you guys didn't say anything about him, then when they talked about trading him he just about told the team to go to hell. How is that better than Jeter who will give 110% every at bat.

jxyama
Oct 13, 2004, 01:56 PM
So let me guess you think that Pedro is the Classiest guy in sports. He may be worst than all the Yankees put together.

yanks are classless because of the way they run their team. granted, sox isn't immune to it either, but at least, it doesn't have the highest payroll in MLB by $60 million. heck, sox and twins put together is cheaper than the yanks.

yanks of the late 90s, i could respect a bit more. they had home grown talent and a real team. right now, their method is to just buy whoever they want and just win the championship. considering their payroll, i find their lack of depth in every aspect of the game except power laughable.

jxyama
Oct 13, 2004, 01:57 PM
Wasn't Nomar a prick when he was a Red Sox and you guys didn't say anything about him, then when they talked about trading him he just about told the team to go to hell. How is that better than Jeter who will give 110% every at bat.

nomar never relegated a gold glove SS to play 3B so he can keep his ego intact. :rolleyes:

if he was really classy and was interested in the overall betterment of the team, he'd volunteer to play 3B.

MacNut
Oct 13, 2004, 02:01 PM
I will give you that argument, but the Red Sox are not that far behind the Yankees in their spending thanks to the new owners. I do believe that Schilling was a big purchase just to try to stop the Yankees and trying to deal for Arod is just like the Yankees ways. While years ago I would say it was a yankee problem now it is becoming more of a wide spread issue and the Red Sox are now just as guilty.

cusp
Oct 13, 2004, 02:08 PM
They are all a bunch of Prima Donnas, but then again that's what we fans make of them....the Yankees are by far the more narcissistic of the two teams though...follow the money.

But the Sox are the best team ever.

jxyama
Oct 13, 2004, 02:09 PM
I will give you that argument, but the Red Sox are not that far behind the Yankees in their spending thanks to the new owners. I do believe that Schilling was a big purchase just to try to stop the Yankees and trying to deal for Arod is just like the Yankees ways. While years ago I would say it was a yankee problem now it is becoming more of a wide spread issue and the Red Sox are now just as guilty.

right, but yanks are still ahead by $60 million. 50% more than the sox. and sox doesn't just go out and pull every single free agent to their team, or pull "impossible" trades by stacking so much cash that the other team can't refuse. (notice that they haven't had much minor leaguers to trade - their farm system is a big mess because they've pursued win now, who cares about the rest attitude for so long now.)

brown, vasquez, sheffield, a-rod, giambi, lofton, etc., etc.

yanks are gluttons. "oh, aaron boone hurt his knee? ok, let us just dump another $100 million so we can convince the best SS into playing 3B." :rolleyes:

MacNut
Oct 13, 2004, 02:21 PM
yanks are gluttons. "oh, aaron boone hurt his knee? ok, let us just dump another $100 million so we can convince the best SS into playing 3B." :rolleyes:

The ironic thing about that is if the Sox spent another 20 mil they could of had Arod.

MacNut
Oct 13, 2004, 02:28 PM
The problem isn't that the Yankees paid $100 Mil for Arod, its that the Rangers were paying him $250 mil. That is when the commissioner should step in and put a stop the the union and the overspending. But Bud wont do that because he can't control the Union and he gives what ever the owners want.

Koodauw
Oct 13, 2004, 03:07 PM
nomar never relegated a gold glove SS to play 3B so he can keep his ego intact. :rolleyes:

And neither did Jeter. Its not Jeters decision to choose where he plays. And ANYBODY who is anybody knows what DJ means to the NY Yankees, on and off the feild. Moving him from SS, would of been the wrong decision.

And we know your just mad about Arod because the bosox didnt get him.

cusp
Oct 13, 2004, 04:05 PM
Six games left....And after the Yankees???

Bring on Clemens and those Texans!!

Go Sox!

Cohiba
Oct 13, 2004, 04:09 PM
Schilling came up lame last night - not good. Pedro has to exorcise is demons tonight... if not... we're done.

jxyama
Oct 13, 2004, 04:12 PM

not particularly, i'm kind of glad to not have him. i despise his character. he's a good player but so was giambi and he nothing but a bench warmer now. wait until a-rod's huge contract becomes a handcuff to yanks in a few years.

well, i guess if that happens, they will just up the budget to $300 million. yeah, that'd be really fun to win then. :rolleyes:

generally, i hate yanks preoccupation with just winning. what happened to competing, as opposed to just winning? is it just as fun for you to win fantasy baseball league if you had 7 of the first 10 picks? is it that fun to win when you are in such a better position to begin with?

decksnap
Oct 13, 2004, 04:22 PM
Its not Jeters decision to choose where he plays. And ANYBODY who is anybody knows what DJ means to the NY Yankees, on and off the feild. Moving him from SS, would of been the wrong decision.

Ha! Good one. You think Yankees management said to themselves, "hmmm... should we put the amazing shortstop at short or the mediocre one- ah hell let's go with the mediocre one! He's craptacular!"

QCassidy352
Oct 13, 2004, 09:44 PM
And neither did Jeter. Its not Jeters decision to choose where he plays. And ANYBODY who is anybody knows what DJ means to the NY Yankees, on and off the feild. Moving him from SS, would of been the wrong decision.

Give me a break. The decision was made to protect jeter's ego and for no other reason and everyone knows it. Had jeter done the right thing and gone to management saying, "he's the better shortstop, move me to 3rd," they would have done it in a heartbeat. And ANYBODY who actually knows baseball knows that Jeter is possibly the most overrated player in baseball history.

And no, I'm glad not to have a-rod because we would have lost manny, who had a much better season for less money. And we would have lost nomar for ordonez who spent the whole year on the DL. Cabrera may not be much but he's better than a hurt outfielder.

Cohiba
Oct 13, 2004, 10:42 PM
Cassidy - you'll have a bad christmas this yr. doesnt look like your getting christmas wish.

MacNut
Oct 13, 2004, 10:56 PM
It seems that the team with the better pitching is turning out to be the Yankees. Only 2 more games and its another trip to the fall classic. No team has come back from being down 0-2 in the last 13 seasons to win the Championship Series. :rolleyes:

Koodauw
Oct 13, 2004, 11:29 PM
And ANYBODY who actually knows baseball knows that Jeter is possibly the most overrated player in baseball history.

Go look at his October numbers, and then tell me he is over rated.

Go ahead, make your claims on over rated. I am sure World Series Rings One, Two, Three, and Four, are more than enough comfort.

5 would be nice though.

MacNut
Oct 13, 2004, 11:34 PM
They must of forgoten the great catch Jeter made in that July 1st game against the Red Sox, he risked season ending injurys to catch that ball in the seats. Ive never seen Nomar make a catch like that. But I guess Jeter caught that ball by accident because as you say he is overrated. He is just maybe the greatest post season player in the history of baseball. :rolleyes:

jxyama
Oct 14, 2004, 12:40 AM
They must of forgoten the great catch Jeter made in that July 1st game against the Red Sox, he risked season ending injurys to catch that ball in the seats. Ive never seen Nomar make a catch like that. But I guess Jeter caught that ball by accident because as you say he is overrated. He is just maybe the greatest post season player in the history of baseball. :rolleyes:

one play doesn't make someone not overrated.

as for the number of rings he's won, that's a team achievement.

koodauw: i love it when someone challenges me to look at jeter's oct. numbers without actually doing it him/herself.

here it is, straight from baseball-references.com, up to 2003, jeter's 99 postseason game averages compared to his regular season:

regular season: avg .317, obp .389, slg .462
207 hits, 32 doubles and 17 HRs averaged in 162 games

post season: avg .314, obp .385, slg .441
123 hits, 16 doubles and 13 HRs in 99 games
(which roughly translates to ~190 hits, 25 doubles
and 20 HRs averaged in 162 games)

what were you saying about his oct. stats? if anything is a definition of "overrated" it's someone who everyone thinks is better in oct. but isn't at all. :rolleyes:

QCassidy352
Oct 14, 2004, 12:41 AM
Ok, first, yes the sox are done. Even if they came back, which they won't, they can't win the world series without shilling. What a horrible ending.

Re: Jeter.

One catch he made proves not a single thing and if you really think otherwise... well, I won't finish that thought because it would get me banned for violating a certain forum rule. :) Other shortstops would have been there soon enough that they wouldn't have HAD to dive in to the stands. He doesn't have very good range and even you can't dispute that unless you just want to lie outright.

You think nomar, a-rod, or tejada wouldn't have won those world series rings if they were on the yankees in jeter's place? Come on. :rolleyes:

Yes, he's a better player in the postseason than the regular season. But he's still the most horribly overrated player I've ever seen. Jeter basically gets credit for anything and everything that the Yankees do right. If he drives in a run, his is the name you hear. If he scores a run, you hear about him. If he makes a good defensive play, the announcers go on and on about it. If he does nothing at all, they just talk about how he's a "winner" and a "leader." if he were the best player who ever lived he'd still be overrated because he gets all the press, all the time. And he's very far from the best player ever, or even the best player on his team on his side of the infield.

See, you don't hear anyone calling Randy Johnson or Barry Bonds a "winner," or other unprovable crap because the numbers bear out that they are simply unreal. It's when people want to elevate a guy but don't actually have the stats to back up their BS that they trot out the meaningless "winner," "leader," and "intangible" labels.

People love to *talk* about how great jeter is... but when it comes time to give the MVP, his name is nowhere on the list. That's because when you come right down to it, you simply can't make an argument for him as a great player. The numbers aren't there, and when it's actually time to give out the hardware, everyone cuts the crap and gives the awards to the best players, not the media darlings.

Edit: oh, he's not a better player in the postseason than the regular season. See, there's so much media BS that they even had me fooled. :) Thanks so much for those stats. Great to see. :)

jxyama
Oct 14, 2004, 12:51 AM
by the way, the same kind of postseason comparison can be made for bernie wiliams and jorge posada and you'll realize that they are pretty much the same player they are in the regular season. (in fact, williams is slightly worse and posada, even more so, in the playoffs.)

the true reason yankees have been a dynasty and one yankee who's never been overrated: mariano rivera.

it's not jeter's team, it's mo's team. you could have replaced jeter with pretty much any decent SS and yanks would have still won. the same cannot be said for rivera.

jeter *is* overrated. mo isn't. give credit where the credit is due if you claim to be a true yankees fan instead of listening to media hype about pretty boy jeter.

dizastor
Oct 14, 2004, 12:46 PM
I'm guessing the Sox won't pull this series out of their a$$, but my only hope is that they win a series before I die. I was thinking about this yesterday... my uncle was a big red sox fan, and even though he lived 77 years, never got to see them win the world series... he also missed the Patriots two Super Bowl Championships... I just want to see the Sox win one so I can actually believe "the Yankees Suck" when I say it during the offseason.

It's truly depressing being a lifelong Red Sox fan.

wdlove
Oct 14, 2004, 02:00 PM
The Red Sox made the announcement yesterday about Schilling's heel. My first thought was, it's an indication of the Red Sox's loosing. Today they announced that Schilling will have surgery, so will not play anymore of the playoffs. Red Sox fans are used to this, the old refrain "There is always next year."

MacNut
Oct 14, 2004, 04:08 PM
He wont pitch game 5 but they say its possible that he could still play.

jxyama
Oct 14, 2004, 04:43 PM
man, have some faith, if you are a sox fan...

schilling not pitching won't be an issue for the immediate future. sox must sweep at home and to do that, we need to hit, hit and hit some more. it would have been nice to steal a game in the bronx but the series isn't over yet by any means... (well it is over if sox doesn't start hitting!)

pedro pitched well enough last night to win. gotta get more than a run to win against the yanks...

yoda13
Oct 14, 2004, 05:16 PM

koodauw: i love it when someone challenges me to look at jeter's oct. numbers without actually doing it him/herself.

here it is, straight from baseball-references.com, up to 2003, jeter's 99 postseason game averages compared to his regular season:

what were you saying about his oct. stats? if anything is a definition of "overrated" it's someone who everyone thinks is better in oct. but isn't at all. :rolleyes:

A different take on this. The fact that his stats are so close to his normal season stats suggests that he isn't that overrated at all. The pitching is ten times better in the postseason than it is in the regular season. You are facing nothing but another team's best. You have to step it up just to put up the numbers you put up in the regular season. Besides stats are misleading. Its when he gets the hits and makes the catches. Besides the list is long and distinguished of great players who were fabulous in the regular season and couldn't get it done in the postseason. But I am not going to disagree with all the sentiments made about the Yankees here. W/O Mo the Yankees would not have won any of the World Series that they have won the last several years. That is no secret. It is also a team sport, I agree with that. Jeter is the team leader so I don't know that you can say they would have won with any adequate shortstop either. Jeter brings other things to the table besides what he does on the field. But being a team leader, he SHOULD want the best player at each position playing and that means he should have moved to third...he could have volunteered. AROD is the better short stop, but for those that say Jeter isn't that great, I must disagree with you. But, I am a Yankee fan, so I am sure that you will dismiss what I say :D

floatingspirit
Oct 14, 2004, 08:01 PM

An excellent attempt at being rational, but these figures, which are not bad at all considering post-season pitichers, are only offense. He makes great plays on defense and has intangible qualities, i.e. character that lead to an improved team chemistry. He's a resilient, proud, hard-working and consistent competitor who sets the tone for the whole team. By affecting the group so positively, you can't discredit him by saying "winning championships is thanks to the group, not him." He's the captain, and captains guide ships. Of course ships can't move without a crew, but they need a wise and able guide.

By the way could you check his stats for hitting with runners on base? Are they good?

Closing my rant, suffice it to say, "Jeter is the most overrated..." is simply the most ridiculous baseball statement I've ever heard.

jxyama
Oct 14, 2004, 08:34 PM
you can say whatever you want, koodauw said "check jeter's Oct stats and see if he's overrated" and i did that. it's fairly clear that his implication was that jeter is a good oct. player - well, he's not, as i showed. because if he meant an equiv. oct. performance actually means "better," then he should have said - "hey, check jeter's oct. stats - he's as good as usual against tougher opponents, so he's actually good" or something to that degree. it seemed to me like he didn't realize jeter's post season stats are no better than regular season - and that he bought into media hype of jeter being "better."

i didn't rationalize anything - if anything, it's you guys suddenly "rationalizing" why an oct. stat that's no different (or slightly worse) than the regular season is actually "good." :rolleyes: or that he makes good defensive plays so he's good. (well should i go check his defensive numbers too?) or that he has intangibles, blah, blah. yeah you tell me how to check "oct stats" on intangibles. :rolleyes:

yoda13
Oct 14, 2004, 08:43 PM
Actually Jeter is a better Oct. player than most other superstars because their numbers usually go down in post season, and Jeter's don't. That right there backs up previous statements. The man is not without fault, and he wouldn't have had the opportunity to be who is he if he didn't play for the Yanks, who make the post season every year, but to say he is overrated because he hits the same as any other time seems to me to be misleading. If you look at many other superstars, they don't hit nearly as well during the post season as they do in the regular season. The fact that Jeter does is one heck of an accomplishment. And he does it with the game on the line.

jxyama
Oct 14, 2004, 08:50 PM
unfortunately, baseball-reference.com doesn't have fielding stats for the post season. but i'll tell you one thing. until 2004, jeter's range factor has consistently been lower, considerably lower, in fact, than the league average. on average, per 9 innings, jeter gets to about half a ball in play less than the average SS in the league.

it's a bit old, but here's espn.com's rob neyer's take on jeter's defense.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/neyer_rob/1415695.html

if you still want to talk about his defense being better, that's fine, but there's no objective means to prove it. if you want to discuss something but don't believe in as objective numbers as there are but only wants to focus on fuzzy memory and biased views, well, then it's not really a discussion, is it?

jxyama
Oct 14, 2004, 08:53 PM
... to say he is overrated because he hits the same as any other time seems to me to be misleading.

it's also misleading to say "go check his oct. stat and see if he's overrated" when you mean "his oct. stat is almost as good as the reg. season so he's actually a great player." :rolleyes:

Koodauw
Oct 14, 2004, 10:03 PM
1918. The only stat you need to know.

floatingspirit
Oct 15, 2004, 12:23 AM

INDEED

jxyama
Oct 15, 2004, 03:29 AM

right, i give you the stat you told me to go get and i get this irrelevant response. :rolleyes:

senseibiz
Oct 15, 2004, 11:54 AM
This is true, nothing beats the Yankees/Red Sux rivalry

I agree. every game is intense. as a yankee fan, I'm going to need heart pills in the future LOL.

GO Yankees.........

MacNut
Oct 15, 2004, 12:40 PM
Looks like we may not get a game tonight as it is expected to pour all night.

wdlove
Oct 15, 2004, 02:12 PM
Looks like we may not get a game tonight as it is expected to pour all night.

They may well be the best thing for the Yankees. It will give extra time for Pedro to rest. Many local commentators in Boston think that we will win this series.

jxyama
Oct 15, 2004, 02:34 PM
it's a tough call. pedro getting more rest is always a good thing. the same for schilling, although his injury is such that a day or two probably won't make much difference.

but el duque also gets a bit more rest. so does brown. and yankees will be able to start mussina a game earlier. then, of course, rivera now may get two days off. he'll be ready to close two more games, getting 4 outs each time, so that's bad...

on the other hand, any time for the sox to forget what happened in the bronx has to be a good thing...

yoda13
Oct 15, 2004, 02:43 PM
it's also misleading to say "go check his oct. stat and see if he's overrated" when you mean "his oct. stat is almost as good as the reg. season so he's actually a great player." :rolleyes:

For what its worth, I am not the one that told you to do that. Stats are not the only judge of a ball player. :p

yoda13
Oct 15, 2004, 02:46 PM
I personally think that any extra rest benefits the Sox. The Yanks are on a roll and Brown and El Duque are both rested. However, this gives Pedro an extra day of rest and might help Schilling to pitch again in this series. Plus it gives the Sox a chance to regroup, and the Yanks a chance to cool off and get off their roll. More rest= advantage for the Sox, IMO.

Koodauw
Oct 15, 2004, 02:53 PM
The extra day off would (could) mean that Pedro pitches at Fenway instead of at Yankee stadium. Hopefully no rain.. I want to hear "Whos your daddy" even louder than last time.

jxyama
Oct 15, 2004, 02:53 PM
I personally think that any extra rest benefits the Sox. The Yanks are on a roll and Brown and El Duque are both rested. However, this gives Pedro an extra day of rest and might help Schilling to pitch again in this series. Plus it gives the Sox a chance to regroup, and the Yanks a chance to cool off and get off their roll. More rest= advantage for the Sox, IMO.

hopefully, it won't be like 1975 WS when it kept on raining and raining and raining... and sox eventually lost. :(

wdlove
Oct 15, 2004, 09:45 PM
Tonight's game has officially been rained out. They will play tomorrow, so far not scheduled to rain. Tonight's tickets will be good on Monday.

MacNut
Oct 16, 2004, 11:46 PM
Ok being a Yankee fan I'm very pleased with tonight's game but it was kind of sad to watch the Sox implode. You have to feel for the fans because nobody should have to go through a loss like that. This whole series is a disappointment, I was hoping for a rematch of last years ALCS but this is ridiculous. I was hoping the Sox would put up some kind of fight in this series.

jxyama
Oct 16, 2004, 11:51 PM
wow, what a crazy game. matsui and sheffield looked like they were playing slow pitch softball.

bummer... :(

MacNut
Oct 16, 2004, 11:53 PM
wow, what a crazy game. matsui and sheffield looked like they were playing slow pitch softball.

bummer... :(

More like T ball

Kethoticus
Oct 17, 2004, 01:22 AM
I hear ya. I do, but I also don't.

I do, because you could see the looks on the fans' faces, the players' faces. But at the same time, these guys have been talking a lot of cocky crap coming into this series (does "I'm going to enjoy silencing 55,000 NYers" ring any bells?). The Yankees don't talk like this. They haven't since this run began. I feel sorry for them, and yet, if the tables were reversed, would you be happy to see them cheering over the implosion of the Yankees?

We can't feel sorry for either the fans or the players. We need to be happy that the Yankees have played this well thus far. It only gives us that much more fuel whenever a Sox fan begins chanting 'Yankees Suck' or Pedro or Varitek starts another brawl with our guys. Can't feel sorry for a team that tries to win through intimidation.

I hafta admit tho that I do feel sorry for Arroyo tonight. I'm glad we outclubbed the BoSox, but the look on that kid's face was wrenching.

Kethoticus
Oct 17, 2004, 03:32 AM
I too enjoyed the game tonight, but I don't think I hate the Red Sox as badly as some of their fans seem to hate the Yanks. I saw a guy on TV being interviewed a few years ago who said something to the effect of "I hate NY... I don't just mean the team... I hate the city... I hate the people..." Holy moly that man has issues. How anyone could get so worked over something like that is beyond me.

Koodauw
Oct 17, 2004, 09:45 AM
Are going to have to start a Yanks Sweep Sox thread? :eek:

King Cobra
Oct 17, 2004, 10:05 AM
There was, in the Community Section a while back (by the way, how the hell is "Sox Sweep Yanks" a "Current Event"?), but because this thread received so much more attention and participation from posters than the other thread, it engulfed that other thread.

MacNut
Oct 17, 2004, 05:45 PM
Id be betting they will try to rehire Grady Little, He actually got them to a game 7.

MacNut
Oct 17, 2004, 05:53 PM
Who was supposed to sweep who here, I do seem to remember Sox fans running their mouth about how the Yankees are going down, If you can dish it ye must be able to take it too. :rolleyes: