Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
Here's a silly question that I am ashamed to admit is a factor in my current 'book buying decision: does the logo on the back of the monitor light up on the iBook as it does on the Powerbook?

And before the incredulous responses pile up, I should add that the only reason this matters to me is that 1) This is just a temporary computer until the PB hits G5 and 2) I'll be doing presentations with it in the dark, and the glowing Apple is such a sexy effect.

Thanks.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Yes, they all light up. I saw a couple of people using iBooks in a cafe the other day and noticed the Apple logo shining.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
it certainly does glow. something about the backlight from the monitor. that's the ticket.

(it glows from the same source that backlights the LCD)

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
You are wrong

baby duck monge said:
it certainly does glow. something about the backlight from the monitor. that's the ticket.

(it glows from the same source that backlights the LCD)

Actually it is mercury.If you guys still have your powerbook boxes( I don't know about the ibook since I don't have one). On the top of the box, where it says," Important... software agreement." It says," The backlight lamp in this product contains mercury... Dispose of it properly."

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i got to admit that the glowing apple on my PB catches a LOT of peoples attention whenever i am useing in out in public places, i brings a smile to my face seeing thier reactions LOL.....wouldnt it be something if the apples on the G5 cases glowed too, or pulsated like the sleep lights, now that would be an awesome show

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I remember some years back in 9th grade, in my speech class we had to do advertisement/promotional powerpoint presentations.

Me, being the mac junky I was, did mine on the truly awesome (for its time) PowerBook G3 (which I think was the first apple laptop to have a lit up Apple logo). During the presentation, I pointed out that fact, and thats the only thing about the computer that anyone in the class seemed to care about :p

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
evil said:
so i have a question.
if the ibook didnt light up would that make you spend more money to buy a powerbook just because of that issue?

I wouldn't say that the light issue in and of itself would cause me to spend more money, but it would definitely be a factor. I do presentations (in the dark) and the glowing Apple logo helps to make an impression. It looks expensive (because, well, it is). In addition, many of my clients are impressed when they learn that I use a Macintosh. Often, I'm the only person they know who uses a Mac, and they always have lots of questions. By intelligently answering their questions, it gives me a chance to portray myself as an expert at what I do.

In short, that glowing apple helps make sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.