Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danand725

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Sawbridgeworth, UK
Dear all,

I'm enjoying myself with an old G4 Xserve and Leopard Server 10.5.6 - an Xserve is such a beautiful thing, and I don't need to worry about heating my spare room now ;-)

Anyway, I had a play with the Gateway Setup Assistant and got everything working fine - even the VPN worked after enabling some firewall rules (strangely the assistant didn't enable to rules that the manual on the Apple website said it should have done. Meh!) Anyway, VPN, DHCP, NAT etc, gateway wise, everything was working.

Then for my next trick - setting up an Open Directory Master. It seemed to knock my public IP address off, only giving my self-assigned IPs. I have a dyncamic IP address from Virgin Media. When trying to set up DNS, I used the host name the public address gave me (using changeip -checkhostname).

It's not a live system, just playing really, but is there a trick to getting Open Directory (Kerberos) running on an Xserve with an internal and external (dynamic) IP?

I feel a rebuild coming on.

All the best - long live MAC Rumors.

Daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.